Line strength & rods

D

David OLoughlin

A mate recently had a float rod break above the butt whilst playing a fish, someone told me that the line was too strong for the rod.
I have a 14ft Shimano match. Shimano told me that the strongest line I should use is 4lb. My problem is that I'm led to believe that manufacturers regularly underrate line strength so if I use 4lb line am I putting my rod at risk? Should I use 3lb?

K

Kevan Farmer

Why not set the clutch on the reel so that when the rod has bent as far as you dare then let it give line. Or perhaps set it before this point just to be on the safeside. Of coure you've got to overcome the temptation of tightening up the clutch in the event of hooking a larger than average fish.

D

David Will

I would think that you would have a hell of a job breaking a rod by going a pound over the stated line strength.In the case you mention 4lb line will go before the rod unless it is a duff one if not you probably want to think about a heavier rod , maybe one designed for Carp puddles.

D

David OLoughlin

Thanks Kevan, I do use the clutch set on my reels, I didn't express my thread well.
What concerns me is suppose something goes wrong? (I don't know what but people do appear to break rods, & my reels are ok but not the best). I also don't want to fish heavier than I need.
Is there some kind of rule one can follow, I have read in Coarse Fisherman the suggestion that Maxima 4lb is more like 6lb.
In these days of exact specifications & delicatly balanced tackle, why do we let the manufacturers get away with it?

D

David OLoughlin

Just seen your message David. Maybe I'm just making a problem! It just got me thinking. I phoned Shimano couple of years ago as I needed to know limits (I fish in the Lakes regularly, big perch, eels & trout). The person who planted the seeds for this thread was a tackle dealer. I don't think he was trying to sell me anything?