How DO I Get The Bigger Perch?

S

Shane Morrison

I am having no problem bagging pounds of small pearch, but i can see much larger ones in the area and just never seem to be able to get the bait to them.
Any Ideas?

G

Garry Sutcliffe

well i got my 2lb perch on a lobbie under a bridge.and feed maggots evey 3 casts

C

Carp Angler

If you are catching small shoal fish, the bigger ones will sit just away from the main shoal.
If this is on a river then they may well be sitting just down stream and a lobworm or small fishbait cast beyond where the main shoal sits should result in a larger specimen.
If on a lake, then the bigger fish will sit either side of the shoal, waiting to prey on any sick ones or stragglers.

K

Kevan Farmer

Forget maggots and worms in this instance. Try a toby lure flicked a couple of fet beyond the shoal. Draw it past the noses of the big ones then get ready for some fun!!!!

R

Ron Clay

At this time of the year get up before sparrow blow. First light with a lob or as Kevan says a small spinner or plug, Try It.

S

Stephen Hastie

What type of setup do you need to catch big Perch. I have heard they are a bit if they feel any resistance they will drop the bait?

Steve

S

Stephen Hastie

What type of setup do you need to catch big Perch. I have heard if they feel any resistance they will drop the bait?

Steve

S

Shane Morrison

Thanks for your help lads, i think i will try a little toby,

Cheers Lads

K

Kevan Farmer

Let us know how you get on Shane. Stephen, big perch can be a bit funny with static baits. This is why I advised a lure approach. If any other predators are in the water - pike - then you must use a wire trace. With one of the decent supple wires available the lure should work to perfection and it will not bother the perch. Generally speaking, big perch let you know in a big way that they have grabbed your lure, smaller ones can tend to nip at it.