How do I fish this water

Beaker

Reaction score
I have just come back from my holidays and my wife, bless her is letting me one of my local club lakes this week, but I am at a loss how to fish it.

I am only fishing in the afternoon/evening and the lake mainly contains carp and tench.

Dont forget I am not using boilies this year, so any help would be apreciated.

Sorry but my brain is totally fuddled at the moment and I just cant think.:)

Ray Roberts

Reaction score
Letting you, F**&^^%$g letting you.

You should be telling her; "I'm going fishing, I may be some time". Take the whole day if you want, stand up to her and be a MAN !!!!!!!

For further marital advice I suggest a counselling session with Peter Jacobs or the Monk, they know how to treat women properly !!!!!!

For better fishing advice then more info on the venue would be appreciated.

Stealph Viper

Reaction score
How do you intend to fish this venue :

Float, Feeder, Carp Rods etc etc

Sweetcorn and Luncheon Meat is always worth a try, Bread, Maggots if there's a lot of small carp.

Give us a little more info to allow us the chance to give you a more accurate and constructive reply.

She's Letting you, She is F****ng letting you, tell her to take you there and carry your stuff and to swim out with a bucket of freebies and feed you swim for you too ........... :D :j

Beaker

Reaction score

You should be telling her; "I'm going fishing, I may be some time". Take the whole day if you want, stand up to her and be a MAN !!!!!!!

For further marital advice I suggest a counselling session with Peter Jacobs or the Monk, they know how to treat women properly !!!!!!

i have been ill and she is only thinking about me!!!

Stealph Viper

Reaction score
It's funny, but whe i see the name beaker i always think of

MuppetsBeaker.jpg

Not a Cockerel

Ray Roberts

Reaction score
i have been ill and she is only thinking about me!!!

All the more reason to get her to sherpa your tackle for you then.

More info on the water, is it a silted estate type lake, gravel pit, irrigation reservoir. Do you intend to float fish or leger, do you object to using bolt type rigs or two hook set up's?

Last edited:

captain carrott

Reaction score
It's funny, but whe i see the name beaker i always think of

MuppetsBeaker.jpg

Not a Cockerel

i wouldn't think of a cockerel either as that ones foghorn leghorn

---------- Post added at 20:16 ---------- Previous post was at 20:15 ----------

i'd feeder fish it using my own special groundbait mix with worm and corn cocktail on the hook, it rarely fails

Beaker

Reaction score
All the more reason to get her to sherpa your tackle for you then.

More info on the water, is it a silted estate type lake, gravel pit, irrigation reservoir. Do you intend to float fish or leger, do you object to using bolt type rigs or two hook set up's?

Any of the above except bolt rigs it,s a mature gravel pit about 20 acres, holds carp upto 40lb and tench to double figs.

Also has pike perch roach and rudd I thought of using a pair of 2lb tricasts I own.

Rodney Wrestt

Reaction score

Outstanding course..... by a couple of single blokes :)

Beaker

Reaction score
Hope you are feeling better Beaker, If I was you I would rely on corn and Hemp with meat as a backup bait.

To Slime and everybody Iam feeling loads better, Jackie my missus has read this thread and she has made the evening session a whole day:) she is even driving me there and picking me up when I tell her:wh

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
I am only fishing in the afternoon/evening and the lake mainly contains carp and tench.

For the evening sessions I'd be tempted to concentrate on the margins for the Carp, sort of John Wilson style, either with floating baits or float-fished corn, maggot, caster or the 'pink indispensible'

If you are going to fish this place regularly then don't ignore a bit of pre-baiting for the next evening either.

noknot

Reaction score
This one is simple, Maize fished over a bed of Hemp, Maize as the hookbait and a handfull over the Hemp, purely awesome!:w

Ray Roberts

Reaction score
I had a fair bit of success last season on a couple of irrigation reservoirs that were an unknown quantity to me. The club I belong to obtained the fishing rights from a local farm and we were told that they hadn't been fished for a good number of years.

I made up some open end feeders from the sort of mesh that you can buy in Wicks for making runs or doors for rabbit cages. I shaped the mesh around a piece of dowel (A fat broom handle) joined the seam with the smallest sized cable ties then cut the mesh tubes to the length that I wanted. I then took a length (about 8 inches) of the old fashioned type rigid rig tube and fixed this with a couple of cable ties to the inside of the mesh tube next to the seam,(leaving about one inch protruding) I coated a strip of lead sheet with epoxy resin and weighted the feeder on the same area that I had fixed the rig tube to the mesh. Phew, nearly there. I drilled a plastic bead to go over the longer length of rig tube and glued it about one inch from the end and then trapped a swivel on the same bit of tube with a rubber bead. I also added a short bit of silicone tube to the other end.

By now you are probably thinking "what a palaver". The thing is, this set up allows you to fish two hook-lengths with complete safety and within a few inches of the feeder. you can then compare the efficiency of say; corn against artificial corn. Maggots v artificial maggots, Hair rigged v side hooked baits. The possible combinations are almost endless. You can also easily swap hook-lengths from top to bottom.

Unfortunately, due to a whole host of personal problems over the last few months I didn't get to do as much experimenting as I would have liked. My initial results seemed to show that the tench didn't seem to mind if the bait was real or artificial, so artificial bait appeared the better option for tench as you could be sure that the bait had withstood the attentions of the smaller fish. I had some decent roach, these were almost exclusively caught on real baits. I also had carp, these seemed to not really show a preference.

The rig performed faultlessly and I had no tangles at all. Bites when they came where unmissable. I pinned the line down with a few bits of Heavy Metal up the mainline, this worked well, but I may try a length of lead-core for some of the next batch.