Head torches......

Fat Blerk

Reaction score
While waiting for my missus to try on bobble hats in a skiing shop over the weekend, I noticed they did head torches, and I am interested in getting a couple for me and my boy. Noticed that the normal bulb ones last for about 7 hours, where as the LED ones around 120 (blimey). Both were retailing for about 25 quid, which I thought quite reasonable. Anyone used the LED type ones and how do they rate ?

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
Go for the LED ones for fishing every time, for anything where you don't need a powerful beam.

Ian Michaelwaite

Reaction score
I bought a 7 LED head torch off of ebay for 1p, it cost 6.99 to ship from Hong Kong, but it is nice and comfy and has 3 levels of intensity - 1 led on, 4 on and 7 on. Might be worth a look to see if there are some more up there.

D

david bruce 1

Was in Millets the other day. The have an LED on on sale for <?6 compared with the others in Millets ansd climbing shops etc at ?25+
Cannot speak for its performance but might be worth giving one a try before spending 2 x ?25.

woody

Very Elderly Member
Banned
Reaction score
Have a look in Millets, they do a combined one. it can light up two or three LEDs or switch to main beam.

Chub do one that can also clip to umbrellas and stuff and has a remote control switch.

Loads about - shop around.

Jonathan Whitham

Reaction score
I seem to recall that Trail magazine has a headtorch review this month. Might be worth checking this out.

Daniel Matley

Reaction score
LED for me as well. I have been using the Petzl Tikka for the past year or so and can't fault it. There is no weight in it so its comfy to wear and gives off a brilliant white light. Not cheap at ?25 but what is these days.

Fat Blerk

Reaction score
OK, thanks for all the info. The one in the ski shop was a Petzl. I will look around and se if I can shed some light on the situation. groan.

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay

I x 7 LED head torch for 1 penny.

If this Is the case I'm going into business. For ?100 I can import 9 thousand of them. Get the straps in Real Tree with a picture of a carp on them.

Could even put "Nikon" on the strap and The Monk would have 4 of them at only ?49.99 each.

Whee Heee - we're in the money!!

Fat Blerk

Reaction score
I can't believe it, a bloke in my office has a Petzl Tikka plus in his bag and I have just had a demo of it. Quite a bit of kit with varying brightness and even a flashing safety setting, handy if you find yourself floating down the river.

Baz

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I got one this christmas. I sat in a darkened room tying rigs with it to see how I managed.

also handy for walking back through the woods or fields on a dark night.

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay

Seriously I couldn't live without my head torch. It actually saved my life on one occasion on the Trent two years ago.

It does require replacement however. Millets in Rothers have got a sale on tomorrow.

mark knowles

Reaction score
Got the first Petzl that came into my local outdoor shop in 2001, well worth the ?25 its much better put together than the cheaper ones. It seems to be a softer light too, my cheap back up is a bit harsh on the eyes. For a bit more they do one with a red fold down lens cover which might be usful if your close to your fish.

E

Eric Hayes

I have a Petzel Zoom that I?ve used for about 7 years and a Petzel Tikka I got last year.

The Zoom has the Halogen bulb fitted this is the one I put in my bag if I?m fishing in the woods as it allows me to find my way out without falling on my arse all the time.(But I don?t use it for baiting up or rig tying) it's a superb heavy duty bit of kit but the battery only last about 8 hours with a standard bulb and only 4 with the Halogen. The Halogen bulb is so bright shine it in your mates face and that?s his night vision goosed for the next two weeks and it will put the swim down if you shine it onto the water, on one occasion I was actualy mistaken for a Helicopter landing pad Zoom

Most of the time though I use a Tikka it's a great little head torch. The battery?s last ages 110 hours (I use rechargeable from Argos 4 for a fiver) and its light weight..Tikka It has developed one crack where the head band goes through and one on the top near the button that you press to open the battery compartment, but this has not affected the usability of the torch.

If I could only have one it would be the Zoom with a standard bulb fitted it will do all I need and although it?s heavy on the head and heavy on the battery?s it?s indestructible and in the 7 years I?ve had it I've yet to find a fault with it.

E

Eric Hayes

Some other points I?ve just remembered:

The Pitzl Tikka is hard to switch on when your hands are freezing cold and the lamp is fixed you so can't alter the angle. With the Zoom you just have to twist the bezel to switch it on, it has a Tilitable lamp body and you can focus the beam using the bezel.

P

Phil Hackett 2

Black Diamond LED head torch from me ...Cotswolds Outdoor shop, wasn't cheap ?29, 3 years ago. It has 5 white LEDs and a very soft bright white light. The head can be set at any angle through 130 degrees.
Very effective illumination when walking through woods. Batteries said last 110 hours, but I have to say they need changing every thirty if you want to maintain the power and bright illumination for walking through the woods.

M

matthew nightingale 2

I've got a Princetron Tec Aurora which is in the ?25 mark. Had it three years and its been very reliable. Pleanty bright enough for a night on the river.

M

PTnymph

Reaction score
I have a Petzel Zoom that I?ve used for about 10+ years now and still going!

Yorkie

Reaction score
Ron Thompson 5 LED for ?9.99 Very good.

Get one free whenever you order from Eric's Angling in Leeds.