Fishing in Holmfirth

Blunderer

Reaction score
Has anyone got any idea of what the fishing is like in Holmfirth, near Huddersfield? We are considering a move to the area.
Is there any carp or barbel fishing? Any help appreciated!

Yorkie

Reaction score
Hiya Blunderer.

Holmfirth is not noted for its barbel fishing unfortunately.

The best places to find barbel are on the river Swale and Nidd in North Yorkshire.

For carp the Bradford No1 AA have some very good carp waters within the Bradford area. Stretches of the Nidd and Swale are also covered by the Bradford book.

B

Big Rik

just over the Pennines into Saddleworth there are a few waters.
St Georges dam and some of the flashes hold some half decent carp.

Richard Baker 4

Reaction score
I am a member of Saddleworth Angling club. We have a number of lakes for both trout and carp/general coarse fishing. I'll try and find a phone number for you over the weekend and get it on the site next week. Its only a 15 minute drive from Holmsfirth.

B

Big Rik

15 minutes? Only in the summer.

First place in the country I saw flashing signs saying "road closed due to snowfall"

P

Phil Hackett 2

Blunderer
HF is only an hour at the most from the Ribble with its illegally stocked barbel :0)

Wearyone

Reaction score
Heard barbel are coming from the Calder in some of the faster flowing stretches, it too has chub.
The Dane is in reasoable traveling distance for a few hours barbel/chub fishing summer time, probably a bit iffy going over the tops winter though.

A couple of friends from thar area used to chub fish the Aire on a reglar basis. One tells me he is catching some good carp locally, but he wont say from where.