Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Maggots

Default Maggots

Why do maggots vary so much from tackle shop to tackle shop, or do some rip off the non match angler with sub standard bait? I've been told there are only about 3 maggot farms in the UK & find it hard to believe that the shops would want to sell inferior bait so is it a profit thing?

I dont know if some shops have got 2 quantities of maggots (1 more fresh than the other) 1 for the regulars, and 1 for the 'casual' fisherman, kid, unknown person, the latter probably get given the non freshest bait saving the better stuff for the regulars.

Ive often thought this when buying maggots from some shops over the years... as quality can vary wildly.

The only maggot farm ive come across was in lincolnshire somewhere, i was on the way to a water and the smell was horrific, it really was the most disgusting thing ive ever smelt... this was about 15 years ago, dont know if its still there, if it is someone here will know about it.

3. Default

I use 2 tackle shops and the difference in maggot and caster quality is extreme. One supplies maggots which are a third bigger and which last 3-4 days longer before starting to turn - they also smell better. The casters last a good 4-5 days before turning sour.

Trouble is - their casters tend to sell out quicker and they don't sell lobworms.

Quote Originally Posted by Day Breamer View Post
    I dont know if some shops have got 2 quantities of maggots (1 more fresh than the other) 1 for the regulars, and 1 for the 'casual' fisherman, kid, unknown person, the latter probably get given the non freshest bait saving the better stuff for the regulars.

Ive often thought this when buying maggots from some shops over the years... as quality can vary wildly.

The only maggot farm ive come across was in lincolnshire somewhere, i was on the way to a water and the smell was horrific, it really was the most disgusting thing ive ever smelt... this was about 15 years ago, dont know if its still there, if it is someone here will know about it.
    That maggot farm is probably the same one I still use, but now it supplies a varity of pellets, worms, groundbait, casters etc. And the maggots don't come any fresher, straight from the pits. The only problem is, they can be too fresh and will need cleaning again in sawdust (don't like maize meal, turns to porridge with sweaty maggots!) to take away the ammonia smell.

As for the smell of the maggot farm it's not so bad these days with measures taken to minimise the pong. I remember walking in there on a hot summers day when I was younger and the stench would take your breath away but it was worth it because you could'nt beat the quality of fresh maggots.
    Never take life too seriously.
    Nobody gets out alive anyway!

i grew up about 2 miles from one in the 18970's that were fun, specially when me uncle nick came home from work with his wellies on.

that smell may be why we're all over 6 foot tall where i come from, you could nigh on chew it on a hot summer day

Blog Entries

You have a right to see the maggots before you purchase
    Mixed maggots can be old with new and are best avoided
    the day of the week that you buy the maggots on can mean old or fresh find out the delivery day
    Fancy a pint?

I have always been able to see maggots before buying - even when i was a kid in the 60s... They are/were always in a glass display cabinet. Is this a northern thing? Nowadays they are in chill cabinets... and very good they are too!

Blog Entries

My tackle dealer has a walk in fridge !
    Fancy a pint?

Quote Originally Posted by slime monster View Post
    My tackle dealer has a walk in fridge !
    bet it's got a sign on the door saying chill out room

Last year I was given my mates excess maggots at the end of a session and as I only had the one live bait tin on me and that had lobworms in it, I put his (half pint of) maggots in with them, intending to separate them at home.

I forgot all about them until the next session planned for the weekend. When I opened up the bait tin on the river bank where I was going to be trotting for roach and dace, I found the sad remains of 10 lobworms and (a pint of) the fattest, fittest maggots I have ever seen. They were twice the size that they had been before devouring my lobworms, but they stank horribly.

The roach went absolutely bonkers for them.

Perhaps a bit of raw steak would rejuvenate a tin of poor maggots in the same way?
    Next cast ...

Idler's Quest

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast