trotting rod

J

jason fisher

after all of these idle roach posts that ron's been doing i'm thinking of finding my self a proper stick float rod.

has anyone got any recommendations of float rods they have used preferably spliced tip if i can find one. not carbotec.

E

Eric Melling

Hi jason,

Not many spliced tip rods around now that I can think of.

Used to use (and still have, although now re-ringed from the original) a Bruce a Walker 13' John Dean rod which has a spliced tip and was, I think specifically designed for stick work. A excelent rod in its day and still gets used occasionally.

But my current rod for stick float and general trotting is a Greys berwick 14'-16' and can't fault it in actual use i.e. the actual blank. The only niggle is the Pac bay reel fittings don't allow my 5" Stanton centre pin to be fitted properly but otherwise an excellent piece of kit.(The ABU 507 I also use with it fits the reel fitting ok though)

While considering which rod to go for and "waggling" all kinds of rods in the tackle shop I was quite impressed with the shakespeare rods,( also much cheaper) can't remember the exact models but they all had the 2' extension like the Greys and were very similar.

What made me eventually go for the Greys was the handle. I found the Shakespeare a bit thick and it had that abonimation of a rod handle material "Duplon" incorporated in it.

Don't know about everyone elses view but IMO this stuff should not be allowed anywhere near a proper fishing rod.

Hope this is of some use
Eric

fred hall

Reaction score
Jason, if you look back through previous threads on this forum you will find a lot of info on this subject. I have a MAP Match 18-20ft which is great for line control but gets heavy after holding for an hour or more. My bestest stick float rod is still a faithful old Shakespeare President 13ft.

W

Wolfman Woody

I think you can forget spliced tips these days.

I'd recommend the Milo Lexia at ?99 from Fishermans Friend. A great tippy stick float rod, but it has that awful reel seat that I've shown in my article. Shame.

fred hall

Reaction score
Jason I've just been reading my copy of the latest issue of Match Fishing magazine. There is an article comparing float rods that you might find interesting. If the worse comes to the worse nip into WH Smith, read the article then put it back on the shelf (would never do such a thing myself)

J

jason fisher

cheers chaps.

what i'm really looking for is a good 13 or 14 footer up to about 200 quid. for light float fishing for roach.
i remember the other post but i can't find the thing.

J

jason fisher

cheers chaps.

what i'm really looking for is a good 13 or 14 footer up to about 200 quid. for light float fishing for roach.
i remember the other post but i can't find the thing.

i already have 3 float rods but noen of them are exactly right for what i want.

J

jason fisher

i've just found a daiwa 13' spliced tip rod on bennets site. might have tae pop over an ave a look.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Jason,

I think that the old Shimano Integra had a spliced tip (or a very thin hollow one) at 14 feet, and reasonably priced too.

Alternatively, have you thought about maybe looking at Harrison's blanks and having one made up for you? This is nowhere near as an expensive option as some might think, and you end up with a custom rod to suit your preferences and specification.

J

jason fisher

daiwa spectron SPM13S currently going for ?180, instead of 225.

Bryan Baron 2

Reaction score
Jason I have a greys bewick 13-15 if you can wait till the fish-in. I will bring it along for you to have a play with. Also the bewick comes with a lifetime guarantee.

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
Have a look at Dave Harrels rods as well Jason, the Matchtek range, they really are good rods. There aren't many people make spliced tip/stick rods these days, no call for them I suppose.

Some of the older rods like the triple X spliced tip rods occasionally come on the secondhand market and still fetch good money, now if you can get the 14ft version you will own one of the best stick float rods ever made.

Weeman

Reaction score
Drennan Stick Float rod. Fantastic as are all Drennan rods. I've seen one on the rack at Leslies of Luton I think. Don't think there produced any more, but are well worth tracking down.

J

jason fisher

i've so far found about 4 current model spliced tip rods, from my last couple of days research.
plus the matchwinner, what's that one like jeff? which is currently being phased out so there's one going realy cheep.

J

jason fisher

that's a turnup for the bpooks i was talking rubbish in that last post it's a tournament S not matchwinner.

J

jason fisher

RON do you stll rate your drennan DRX float rod as highly for stickfloat fishing for roach and dace.