Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Trotting Rod

Default Trotting Rod

Hi All

I am looking to get a new float rod for trotting the rivers. I would like a rod that I can use for fishing light for grayling as well as fishing a bit heavier for Chub.

I like the Drennan rods but dont know which model to go for.

Matt
    The brave may not live for very long, but the cautious never live at all!

It might be better if you tell us how much you are willing to spend.

If you are on a budget this is a good rod suitable for what you want at a good price.
    Last edited by Graham Whatmore; 27-08-2010 at 11:13.

Politicians, like diapers, have to be changed frequently - and for the very same reason

I would probably be looking to spend around £100. Less if possible!
    The brave may not live for very long, but the cautious never live at all!

you will be lucky to find a drennan for less than 100 notes unless it's off fleabay.

it also depends if you want a waggler rod that you're going to use for stick fishing, not actually a problem really like it used to be.
    or a proper stickfloat spliced tip fast actioned rod.

if it's the proper stickfloat rod you're looking at 200 notes and a very restricted choice.

for a decent float rod that will do the job you want for less than 100 notes it would have to be a shakespear

something like this

Shakespeare - Rods - Fresh water - MACH 3 XT Match

I've heard nothing but good about the Shakespear MACH rods and reels.

here's a drennan rod or two in your budget...

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/drennan-stick-...FishingRods_EH

Drennan Tench float rod coarse fishing tackle on eBay (end time 27-Aug-10 18:58:38 BST)
    Last edited by tigger; 27-08-2010 at 16:58.

Quote Originally Posted by tigger View Post
    I've heard nothing but good about the Shakespear MACH rods and reels.

here's a drennan rod or two in your budget...

NORMARK MIROLITE II 13 foot Match ! on eBay (end time 30-Aug-10 00:15:15 BST)

Drennan Tench float rod coarse fishing tackle on eBay (end time 27-Aug-10 18:58:38 BST)

no me either the mach 3's get good reviews everywhere i've looked and this from ordinary anglers

I have a Shakespeare 15ft Mach III and what a little beauty it is, even better because it only cost me 50 notes on ebay. I also have an 11ft Mach III feeder rod I use for the method and that was even cheaper and does everything I want from a feeder throwing a loaded method feeder 50yds with ease and that using a 1lb t.c tip.

Never under estimate the value of Shakespeare.

Politicians, like diapers, have to be changed frequently - and for the very same reason

Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathrow and the A3

Quote Originally Posted by Graham Whatmore View Post
    I have a Shakespeare 15ft Mach III and what a little beauty it is, even better because it only cost me 50 notes on ebay. I also have an 11ft Mach III feeder rod I use for the method and that was even cheaper and does everything I want from a feeder throwing a loaded method feeder 50yds with ease and that using a 1lb t.c tip.

Never under estimate the value of Shakespeare.
    Very true but good as they are I wouldn't dismiss a good second hand example of a "better" rod. Float rods that you intend to use for trotting are not something I think you can compromise with in quite the same way as [say] one you intend to use down the local carp puddle.

I dont know the Normarks. I use a Preston Carbonactive Sentient which I got second hand off the bay for exactly this sort of work.Its perfect...and within the £100 budget. I paid [I think] about £80 for mine.

Skippy

Blog Entries

The Drennan Puddlechucker which is similar to the Drennan Tench Float retails for less than £70.00.

I have one, it's a bloody good rod.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast