Poles

big gus

Reaction score
Upload
I know this has been done before, but checking the threads there doesn't seem to be an up-to-date 'discussion'

Can anybody point me in the right direction for the best pole around the ?250 mark?

Heard a lot about the Shimano 14metre techium, the Shimano Symeter, the Preston Zyrium 12.5 and the Garbolino 16m (phew!)

Any thoughts, reviews on these - or other suggestions greatly appreciated.

Don't mind looking or a knock-down one from last year if anyone swears by one either.

Thanks in advance chaps.

S

swordsy

What are you using it for? if its a crunching pole i have a jurrassic carp that has stood the test of time and landed a lot of big fish and is almost indestructible.

Its in the ?250 bracket as well

Ergo

Reaction score
As swordsy says, what are you going to use it for? Some of the carp cruncher poles can be quite versatile and reasonably priced. A 16m Garbolino pole, probably an Antidote will set you back ?650 and well worth it, or if you want to be a flash git like me The Super Legion will cost about twice that.

Maybe one you should look at is the 12.5 m Sensas Pole King 90 which should come in around the ?200.00 mark. I am told it is a good all round pole.

Failing that invest a little money and get a copy of Advanced Pole Fishing. They do a reasonable directory of poles in there and often have write ups about them.

Lee Thornell

Reaction score
i have just bought and used a maver encounter 13 and ahalf m,came with a match top kit and 2 power tops,it was ?280,for a pole in the low end of market it performs wicked light and strong,elastics up to 20,ive had a few poles in my time and maver are quality

Matt Brown

Reaction score
I have the Preston Zyrium and I'm pleased with it.

Whatever you choose, try and have a waggle in a shop with a 'pole alley' to check eh balance, stiffness and diameter.

I would also strongly recommend looking at the spares packages that are available. For instance if you fish for both silver fish and commercial fishery Carp you've going to need a wide range of elastics. Work out how many elastics you need and that'll tell you how many spare top kits you need.

Preston do a 'Long No.2' section for the Zyrium for ?12. I use these for elastics between 2 and 6, plus I have Power top threes with No. 10 and No. 16 elastics for Tench and Carp. I'd like another Power top 3 for No.8 elastic too (?39.99 for a top three - I think), plus some extra No.3 sections (?25 each).

If you do get the Zyrium, it comes with an elastication kit. I would recommend changing the bungs for the Drennan Polemaster ones. They're lighter and more adjustable.

W

Wolfman Woody

Look around carefully, take your time. Consider it to be for the new season so it gives you a few months to research the market.

Consider! Why go for a cheap long pole, when all you need is a quality shorter pole. For example: a 14.5 metre pole for ?250 is very hard to find if you want quality, stiffness and lightness. But a 12.5 metre pole may just give you the lightness and stiffness you are looking for in that price range.

Size isn't everything. Well not in poles at least.