DAM Quick CTE 137 Closed-face Reel

Bob Martin

Reaction score
I have just bought one of these reels from Chapmans for ?29.99. I have fished with it and am pleased, but I don't understand how it works. I know it has two retracting pins. When you forward wind with some tension on the line these pins stay 'out' and catch the line. But if you wind without tension on the line or backwind the pins go in and out twice on each revolution. What makes the difference ? And are you not supposed to backwind ?

chavender

Reaction score
Ilkeston ,derbyshire ,great britain ,earth ,The un
i've checked with my old ctm, same shape and style reel but older and no rear drag

the pins on mine stay out all the time till
i press the centre release button,i can wind back wards and fowards even backwind with or without pressure.

now the new models maywell have a special
system where the pins are phased in time to the handles rotation.

doesn't sound quite right to me though i'd
thought it would make more sense to leave the pins out all the time like the older reels,i'd take the bell cap off and look inside at the pin mechanism.

take the bell housing shield off,smack the
bell cap with the palm of your hand and grip the sides with your fingers and lift off in one movement to reveal the pins down
inside the cap , make sure they both move
freely in their slots.

on the reel there should be a brass drive
flange (which locates between the pins in the cap)beneath this is the cam-wheel(which is sprung loaded)with a raised elliptical section which pushes the pins out when engaged.

sometimes the bell housing doesn't always
sit right when refitted giving rise to some
odd faults like improper operation of the
pins and lopsided rotation,i always check
mine before i start fishing as its easily
done

refit the bell housing cap by compressing the pin release button and gripping the sides and pushing it back onto the spindle
it may require a slight twist to get it to drop into place and release the button but
still holding the sides give it a quick wobble to make sure its seated properly then turn the handle to engage the pins then you can repeatedly engage and then disengage the pins by pressing the button and turning the handle a few times in either direction to check for there proper operation.the pins should be engaged with just a few degrees turn of the handle.

i now this is based on an older model but it maybe of use as a guide,i hope this is of some help.
steve

( http://www.angelfire.com/sd2/chavender )

Bob Martin

Reaction score
Having played with it a bit more with the cap off I have seen that the pins go in and out when you first turn the handle forwards but as you continue turning they stay out. This is true for forward turning of the handle, but as soon as you turn it backwards the pins retract and start to go in and out as you turn the handle.

I hadn't realised that it is only the raised eliptical section of the cam wheel that causes the pins to extend/retract. It seems a very thin section considering the amount of end-float on the bell-housing. It wobbles quite noticeably. I have tried pushing it on harder but it seems to be on as far as it will go.

If the pins (in the bell-housing) are rotating around the cam-wheel I can see why they extend/retract. What I don't understand is why they ever stay out.
If I could understand this I could possibly figure out why they don't stay out on reverse winding.

chavender

Reaction score
Ilkeston ,derbyshire ,great britain ,earth ,The un
i've had a play with mine again and it seems that when the cap is refitted and the
pins rear round end travel along the raised
elliptical section and then travels around the stationary cam units outer rim

now either yours pins isnt dropping onto the rim or that rim isn't round,which leads to to think that it may have a manufacturing fault! or something maybe lodged under the relese button which may not be retracting its 4 pegs far enougth back these 4 pegs are what pushes down onto the cams surface to dissengage the pins.and if the cam was being pressed down slightly the pins won't drop that last few millimetres onto the cams outer edge and just oscillate around the thin elliptical section .

you'll have to remove the cap and check that when no presure is applied to the button that they fully retract into their
holes and infact sit about 1mm below the
surface.if they do then i'd consider having
to send it back or ringing chapmans up and
ask them for advice.

to remove the plastic button push one of the four pegs towards the centre with a
small screwdriver whilst appling a tiny bit
of downforce the button should be released
(there is only a big spring inside)check it
for burs around its edge and on the pegs stems and that the lip on the pegs are also
clear.

other than that it might have some kind of manufacturing fault! ! and you may have to
give chapmans a call and explian whats going on and to see if they can sort it out
for you or give you a replacement.

Bob Martin

Reaction score
Thanks Chavender, you have been a real help. When I bought this reel I had never fished before with a closed-face reel so was a bit up against it when it behaved oddly. I will ring Chapmans today and see what they say. I found a very recent review of this reel on this site and the reviewer mentioned problems with back-winding (I ordered mine before this review was written). Thanks again.