Quiver section for JW Avon/Quiver

im80

Reaction score
Can anyone help, yesterday I snapped the tip off the quiver section of my John Wilson Avon/Quiver rod (the original one). As this rod was a present from my wife and also my favourite I what to continue using it. If anyone out there has a spare section or a whole rod if cheap they could dig me out of a big hole (I haven't told the wife yet).

T

tom riordan

You can get a set of three fibreglass quivers for ?9.99 or a set of carbon quivers for ?19.99
from Bennets of sheffield, they are advertised on the website which is www.bosfish.co.uk. it may pay you to ring them to see if they fit the jw rods, the carbons fit an internal diameter of between 3.5mm and 3.8mm. The Glass fibre fit 2.95mmm and 3.44 internal so one or the other should suit your rod, I havent got a micrometer or else I would measure the end of one of my quiver tips for you.

chavender

Reaction score
Ilkeston ,derbyshire ,great britain ,earth ,The un
as the origonal version had a one piece tip
if you have broken it it the white tip area
your only option is to get hold of a donkey top (fibreglass quiver tip blank)and
fit it yourself or get someone to do it for you as its quite involved if you have never attempted a repair before !.

the replacement quivertips are quite hard to find thesedays,but they are out there its just a matter of finding one,its not a impossible job to do yourself.if you want to.in fact john wilson did it in one of his shows.if you decide you want to try i'll white out how to do it and put that JW
clip onto a dvd and send it to you if you wish,its not that hard.

im80

Reaction score
Unfortunately my rod is of the old design with a none removable spliced in quiver tip. Does anyone know how to splice in a tip properly if I can get a new tip or can I convert to push in tips?

im80

Reaction score
chavender
Thanks for the help we must have been typing replies at the same time. Any info you have would be greatly appreciated. I can whip on intermediate rigs and replace tip rings as I fly fish aswell and rings on those rods wear out nearly every season. Its the splicing process I'm most interested in. Because the tip is now broken I can't easure the test curve do you know what it would have been.

chavender

Reaction score
Ilkeston ,derbyshire ,great britain ,earth ,The un
they used to have a 1.25lb test curve i seem to recall.

a quick tip !
if you still have the pieces put them together and tape them up,then put the rod
together see if you can find a long piece
of paper (old wall paper)lay your rod on the paper and draw around it from the ring
below the ferrell/joint to the tip taking
special care to mark position of rod rings
so when you've replaced the tip section you can put new rings in the same places so keeping the spaceings right for the action of the rod,also use some tipex to
mark the topside of the joint,all blanks
have a imaginary spine to which the eyes are fixed on the opersite edge so the rod bends best that way in a smoove arch.

next you have to find the splice point on the rod,then cut through it just above the
splice about 2in,if the quiver was glued in
in the first place you could cut through the rod 1-2" below the splice so that the
section has a open end or you could boil a
pan of water and imerse the end in the boiling water whilst turning to melt the glue used and applying some preasure as soon as you feel it give remove it and knock the spigot bit down inside the blank.

take your new quiver tip and then drop it down the inside of your rods blank and pull hand tight only and mark were it meets the cut of end of rod (you should of by now cut and chamford the end)then push the quivertip back down and out find the mark and cut off 2-3 inches below this then re-incert your new quiver section (dont glue it!!)and pull it tight into position then whip over the join this will be strong enougth to hold it.and if you should ever snap it again then its a easy job to replace.glue on a tip ring and then superglue on the intermeidates lining them up with the rods old rings and whip them on then paint it white (hi-gloss)2-3 coats and a final lacquar coat.it should have a test curve of about 2-3oz.

if you have trouble finding a (donkeytop)
replacement quiver section ,go out and buy
one of those paphetic fishing kits that sell for around ?6 as these are fibreglass and the top section should be ok to use (throw the rest in the bin)strip of the eyes and give it a light sanding to take the shine of the surface they work fine they can usually be found in fishing tackle shops and pound shops or woolworths.

(print this off for reference)if you want the JW video just e-mail me an address and
i'll send it (it shows Jw fixing one of these rods)you can watch it whilst your doing it as reference.

i hope this helps
steve

( http://www.angelfire.com/sd2/chavender )

Robbie H

Reaction score
have you contacted masterline the manufacturer? usually very helpful. I have 3 rods by them.

matt

Reaction score
Gary please keep us informed of your progress. I have two wilson quivers suffering the same ailment one mine one my sons. I sanded down one and re-attached the end eye and it's functional but obviously has lost a little sensitivity. I like the feel of the rods and would like to return them to their previous glory.

L

Limestone

I was told by one of the lads at Masterline that all the JW A/Q's are built on the original mandrel, so all the bits should be interchangeable. So you could get a new tip section and it should still fit. It won't match cosmetically, though, as they have changed colour schemes a couple of times.

T

Tony Urwin

My Quiver tip snapped a few yearss ago and Materline replaced the top FOC without any problems.
They would be my first point of contact.

E

ED (The ORIGINAL and REAL one)

It seems to be an inherent fault with these rods, judging by the number of times people have asked where to get spare quivers for these rods .....

E

Heres a 'how to' article on fitting new quivers

<a target='_new' href="http://www.fishingmagic.com/news/article/mps/UAN/816/V/3/SP/
">Replacing a Broken Quiver</a>

E

maybe it would be easier to take all the doors off your car .......