Tuna in oil

jayh

Reaction score
River is coloured with extra flow. Would I benefit from adding tuna in oil to my groundbait & using pellets, corn & worms as hookbait? There are barbel,chub,bream & carp in the stretch. :w

Stealph Viper

Reaction score
It might be worth a try, at least experiment with it and see how you get on, it's just another part of the groundbait really.
Give it a go and let us know how you get on.

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
I suspect tuna in oil may float . I have used tuna in brine in groundbait for bream, but honestly I can't say it makes a lot of difference......

Day Breamer

Reaction score
I have done very well with tuna in brine for Bream whilst using trout pellets and fishmeal based groundbaits with a small amount of added salt.

Watch for those Eels, as they also quite like it especially true if you plan on using a worm hookbait.

To help keep any unwanted Eels away i would leave out the tuna and use alot of molasses instead as this seems to put them off a bit, at least from my testing it has.

Halibut pellets are really worth a look... if Bream and Barbel are on the hit list.

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
Well worth trying...mash it up well with a halibut based groundbait plus pellet and hemp for barbel.Mixes in a treat and produces a good scent trail. Certainly worth trying in coloured water and I like a bit of groundbait for barbel in those conditions. I've not noticed it floating.

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
Ha!Ha!Ha!Ha!.............nice to see a bit of humour this fine Sunday morning!

....never use it myself but sounds interesting.....perhaps it would make a good additive to bread paste(mashed very fine or whizzed in a food mixer) fished under similar conditions mentioned above??

...probably need to use the brine version as oil based(might!)not produce a good paste.....or maybe it would...time to experiment I'd say!!

cg74

Reaction score
Give it a try, tuna in oil has been a successful inclusion of many carp anglers spod mix and normally what works for carp work for bream and barbel (especially if its fish based), plus there ain't much chub will refuse.

As for the floating oil slick, I wouldn't worry because some will become dispersed through all the layers of water.

My advice regards adding to your groundbait, is liquidise the whole contents of tinned tuna along with twice as much hemp, then thoroughly mix with your dry crumb, making sure there are no lumps, leave for 5 minutes and mix as per usual groundbait...

Merv Harrison

Reaction score
I'll go along with S-Kippy using Sardines, much stronger 'smell', also effective mashed up and used on the hook using Fox Arma-Mesh.

Reaction score
Been watching those things on cable TV done by the Korda people...whilst not riveting..a couple of them include tinned tuna in all their mixes..ok it is carp based prog but they make the point it works for other species. Normally using tuna in brine..point that high oil content is ok in summer but less effective at other times of year.

Cakey

Reaction score
nick grannys capsules carefully pull them apart and chuck the drugs inside away :eek:
then fix the two halfs back together the attach to lead some how i.e.super glue..... then inject tuna oil into capsule just before casting out
this allows oil to escape from capsule via the needle hole and keep a real fine trickle into the swim covering all depths
dont forget at end of day take granny to hospital