which one

cormorant

Reaction score
i am looking at getting a pole for carp something i can use in the margins and open water have been looking at maver genesis,preston zyrium, daiwa yank n bank,ta.

ED (The ORIGINAL and REAL one)

Reaction score
The Shimano Beastmaster 850b Margin pole is worth having a look at --It's eight and a half metres --but there's an extension you can get to make it up to 10 metres

I wouldn't recommend the Yank'n'Bank -- I know of 3 of them that have 'gone' at the No 4 section (I was told by a tackle dealer friend that they had a weakness)--Of course they may well have adressed the problem ......but I wouldn't feel confident with another one .....

Last edited:

Stealph Viper

Reaction score
Cormorant,
Consider how much money you have to spend and then buy the longest you can afford with the most Top Kits in the Package as well.

Shimano Technium is a Good Strong Solid Pole.

sagalout

Reaction score
I have owned the maver genesis 09 12.5m (being pedantic because they did do a 16m at some point in the past, I think). Th genesis 12.5 is no longer produced, it was a bulk purchase from china, and when it's gone it's gone (at least that's what I was told by a maver rep).

The genesis 12.5m is a cracking pole for the money, handling up to a twenty elastic in the power kit, light and stiff up to about 10m, after that it becomes heavy and banana like. I sold mine and bought a maver 131 13.5m at almost twice the price, and I don't think it is a lot better.

Having now had two poles, my advice is if you want to fish at 10m or less buy a 12/13 metre pole but there will be times when you want a longer pole, but will that be often enough to justify the cost?

Having become more and more addicted to the pole this summer I now look at swims that I never considered with the pole before and think if only....

It appears that all but the most expensive poles do not work well at their full length. The better the pole (lighter, longer, stiffer) the more pure the carbon, and thus more brittle and prone to chipping, etc, when dropped.

Go down the the local water that is favoured by the pole men and ask around, look at the ones that are light and stiff at a length (these are obvious by the way they are handled by the user and the lack of droop).

Hope this helps.

Last edited:

jimmy crackedcorn

Reaction score
I've a shimano 13m xta and wouldnt swap it. Great pole, and more importantly if you are new to the pole, a 2 year warranty - which I tested. I'd expect the beastmaster to have similar properties.