Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: A lesson learnt

Default A lesson learnt

Having read a number of threads debating whether it is more productive to point the rod skywards or down and close to the water, I tried both methods today. Two rods, side by side, same bait and same rig. Only difference was a pin on the downward pointing and a baitrunner on the other.

Result, 4 barbel and 3 bream to the down method and sweet fanny adams to the skyward rod, not even a bite. Might be coincidence, but I know which way I'll be fishing from now on.

Rog

were you fishing a still water or river?

I was fishing the Hampshire Avon which was looking great after the rain we had last week.

so i'm guessing the downward pointing rod was also the down stream rod

Actually no, it was the upstream. Cast about 15 ft straight out, with the other a couple of yards downstream.

hmm and did you switch the rod that you were catching on from up wards pointing to downwards pointing at all?

I often see anglers on the Colne with rods skywards, I call them the sea anglers..........
    I keep my tip down near the surface and let a small bow form in the line helping pinning the line to the bottom. The only downside is it is possible to miss on the on the drop bites while the line settles in the current.
    Surely if you fish rod up there is a submerged obstacle that fish will feel, ie your line..........

Wouldn't it depend on the strength of the flow? And what species you are fishing for?

Hi Steve,

was targetting barbel and 2 oz was more than enough to pin it down.

There's a couple of anglers we both know Roger, who fish with the rod down and low. Mainly on the Stour and with the centrepin. Both are very successful with barbel. Even taking into account their opportunity to fish at the right time and right conditions they are very succesful indeed.

Many conversations last year convinced me to fish that way in several different scenarios (and also use back leads for the first time). In the limited opportunities I had, I did catch several barbel and like you, I know I will adopt the same style again.

Also, the sound of the 'pin announcing the arrival of the barbel is quite something!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast