Sweet corn

rains

Reaction score
Hi i was wondering what fish will eat sweet corn i know many people just use it for tench and maybe carp and bream but if i was to cut smaller peaces would roach take it

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
No need to make it smaller , roach will take a whole one, I have even caught roach on double corn intended for bream.

captain carrott

Reaction score
i have caught,
tench, carp,bream, roach, rudd,crucians, chub and barbel on it.

plus about 5 perch over the years, those ones baffled me.

Day Breamer

Reaction score
i've had them on static ledgered baits in still waters which is what left me baffled, they must be actively taking it.

Agreed, i know someone who was catching Perch on the Pole to sweetcorn, he wasnt twitching... the bait was static, all the Perch were around 2-3oz... they definately do actively take it.

rains

Reaction score
lol thanks for the reply some funny ones in there perch on sweet corn seems odd

Philip

Reaction score
Show me a non predatory fish that won't take sweetcorn ! I’ve even had sea fish on it. Surely one of the Ultimate baits. Wherever you are in the world you can find a corner shop selling corn. No cooking no messing about just open the can and away you go. Totally instant too, fish will take it from the off.

Any bait that has caught 3 UK record Carp from 3 different waters over almost a 30 year period and I believe a world record Carp too! has to be rated right up there with the greats....& people still say its blown !

Actually its got me thinking …has corn accounted for more record species than any other bait ? Carp for sure but what about Barbel ? Surely one of the previous records must have come out on it ? Then we have Tench, I seem to recall one of the old records from Tring came on corn didn’t it ? and then we have Bream…corn/worm didn’t that catch a record sometime ?

What a bait ! ;)

Last edited:

slime monster

Reaction score
I rate Sweetcorn highly and it is a bait I use a lot, as for species I have caught on it >>Bream Roach Tench Carp Crucian carp Barbel Chub Rudd Ide Eel Rainbow Trout Grayling and last but not least Perch one after another at Patshull Park on the drop!!..good ones too , I have caught the odd one on corn since but nothing like that day.

Day Breamer

Reaction score
Is that the Patshull Park nr Wolverhampton?

I always have sweetcorn in my fridge, i have some right now soaking in molasses, some soaking in CSL and some soaking in pineapple, even if i dont get chance to use them its cheap enough to just replace and soak again.

I also have some immitation corn in a tub that have been soaked in CSL for over 6 months now, i shake the tub every other day... not sure if they have taken the flavour on or not... when i look at the pop-up fake corn in the tub it just looks yellow and 'normal' like theres no difference, but it cant hurt to soak it, its probably just psychosomatic, and may not actually help at all...

Last edited:

rains

Reaction score
I never realized corn was so popular seems so over looked compeared to maggots and its really cheap aswell gonna give it ago next time am out one more question do you leave the corn shokking in it own juices or drain them thanks am really interested in using this now seems to be alot to back it up aswell

captain carrott

Reaction score
usually when i'm using corn it's also used as freebies in groundbait.

the water from the tin of corn goes in the groundbait to help mix it. along with some of the corn and the rest goes in a bait box just enough for a days hook baits.

Day Breamer

Reaction score
If i am not adding any flavour to the corn i leave it in its own juices, always buy the canned stuff with added sugar.

I like to use green giant on the hook, and loosefeed cheap frozen stuff, which is always pre-soaked in molasses or CSL, however this will turn the corn brown, it does seem to stay soaked in CSL for a long time in the fridge with an airtight lid on (i use the 3 tubs from poundland as they seem to be the right size to store hookbait in various flavours).

Ive had it in there soaking for well over a week even upto 2 weeks and its still looked and smelt lovely.

Bream love the stuff when its soaked as above...

rains

Reaction score
If i am not adding any flavour to the corn i leave it in its own juices, always buy the canned stuff with added sugar.

I like to use green giant on the hook, and loosefeed cheap frozen stuff, which is always pre-soaked in molasses or CSL, however this will turn the corn brown, it does seem to stay soaked in CSL for a long time in the fridge with an airtight lid on (i use the 3 tubs from poundland as they seem to be the right size to store hookbait in various flavours).

Ive had it in there soaking for well over a week even upto 2 weeks and its still looked and smelt lovely.

Bream love the stuff when its soaked as above...
Never heard of csl or molasses will google them now thanks

Day Breamer

Reaction score
CSL... heres a short ad/clip which describes it quite well.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cu83mD_YSE8]YouTube - sbs baits Corn steep liquor[/ame]

Thats SBS baits, from Kidderminster i believe, Des Taylor... i use thier CSL pellets too, and they are AMAZING...

No i am not on commision, but i should be after that, so if theres any freebies Des... please let me know ;)