Just how rare are 2lb roach

dezza

Reaction score
In the area I live they are very rare. Over the years there have been odd waters that produced 2 pounders but not for long.

But nation wide, just how many 2 lb roach are caught each week? I'll bet you can list them on one hand. Take our friend Steve Spiller. He has put in an enormous amount of work in his bid to catch a 2 pound roach. I hope he does eventually crack it.

I have been lucky with big roach. I was able to fish an Oxfordshire gravel pit when it just came on form, and caught lots of twos. And then there was the river Severn which produced my biggest of 2lbs 7oz.

Years ago, and like the late John Ledger, I was able to land a lot of roach in the 1lb to 1lb 14oz bracket from the Idle and Upper Witham. I have caught a lot of big roach from the Idle, but not one over 2lbs.

But to those who are seeking their first 2 lb roach, never give up. You will do it eventually especially if you can find a water with some in it. But if you are catching lots of roach over 1 lb, don't despise them. They are truly wonderful fish and you can be proud of everyone you catch of over that weight.

And don't neglect your local cut.

Lark

Reaction score
I'm just off to the Kennet for another go at it's elusive roach. Had a nightmare session there a couple of weeks ago due to outside elements but still managed to get some lovely fish up to 12 ounces or so. I'm hoping for a more settled session today where I may temp a few larger beasts out.

Fred Blake

Reaction score
My most recent big roach came from a neglected little bit of river flowing through the middle of a market about town thirty miles south west of London. I'd been stalking chub in the clear water and spotted a large trout that had briefly emerged from beneath a reed mat under the near bank. I sat quietly feeding the spot, trying to tempt him out again; he didn't show, but a very big roach did. I was dropping golf ball sized lumps of pressed crumb in, trying to get them to settle on a little gravel spot and this roach kept intercepting them midwater.

It wasn't hard to catch him; I lowered a piece of flake weighted with a single shot under the rod tip, watched him suck it in, struck and netted him - all in under thirty seconds. I was back there at the weekend and, in passing, dropped a handful of hemp and corn onto the spot. When I went back to look, sure enough the big roach was there. I didn't cast for him again; I'd rather leave him in peace. Three nice chub were my lot that day.

It's free fishing on that stretch too.

jimcc

Reaction score
I managed to fluke a 2lb Roach last year, at the end of a winter's day Chub fishing. A very old looking Roach somehow ended up on the end of my size 16 hook.

I was fishing maggots on a free stretch of river and I saw more experienced anglers catch similar size Roach on a fairly regular basis over the course of the season.

I am just heading back to the rivers after the summer and I am looking forward to catching one by design. But a Roach of any size is always welcome.

rains

Reaction score
The biggest i have had was 15 oz from a local lake i would say it all depends where your fishing

chav professor

Reaction score
Very rare in my part of the world! Ipswich - river Gipping. Someone said recently that a 2lb roach on most rivers would be equal in achievement top catching a 40lb carp!!

I think that on small rivers they thrive on neglect. I've had one of 2lb2oz in 2002. the closest i have come since was 1lb14oz last summer - surely this fish could go 2lb or more in the winter? I always focus my attention on little fished stretches. this particular stretch was under an overhanging willow just down stream of a tiny weir.

keep the feed levels low - big roach do not like competing with other fish -afterall, we are targeting the gentle giants. bread flake or freelined maggots score well - pinching a bb shot 15inched from the hook - especially if you can physically see the fish pick up the bait.

tight lines

dezza

Reaction score
think that on small rivers they thrive on neglect. I've had one of 2lb2oz in 2002. the closest i have come since was 1lb14oz last summer - surely this fish could go 2lb or more in the winter? I always focus my attention on little fished stretches. this particular stretch was under an overhanging willow just down stream of a tiny weir.

In the autumn of 1997, I took a 1lb 14oz roach and a 4lb 8oz chub in successive casts on link legered crust from the tiny River Leam near Offchurch. I still have the photo of those two fish laid next to my rod and reel.

Mark Wintle

Reaction score
I suspect less than 1% of coarse anglers ever catch a 2lb roach, and even then 10% of those actually had a hybrid or mis-weighed/guessed it!

It can be incredibly easy to catch one or almost impossible.

preston96

Reaction score
Hmmmmm.

2lb roach can be as easy or as difficult as you like.

A few years back we had a couple of Fm get togethers at Sway lake, we caught 2lb roach on both trips, up to 2.12 i think it was.

I suppose we would have to be honest and say that although we enjoyed the outing and the fishing immensely if a 2lb roach can ever be classed as "easy" then that has to it.

Other waters where they are know to be can also be deemed "easy" and yes, i mean "that" Oxford pit....the real pioneers there where a Mr Roper and pal i believe, so they are the ones who did the "hard work"....the rest just followed, me included.

The real ultimate "difficult" 2lb roach is to go out and find your own, i'm sure there are pockets about, i was out "spotting" on a local water a couple of months back and saw what i think was a huge roach swimming with 3 tench.....thats going to be a challange!

Fishing for 2lb roach is like all fishing, find the target in the enviorment you want to catch it in, whether that be a carp lake where they have grown artificially large or a wild river were nature has been in charge, and you are almost there.

For me a 2 from a river is the ultimate, and i was lucky enough to fish both the Severn and Wye and catch a few from both rivers at a time when the chances were good............but i havent for a few years now.

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
I don't believe its ever been easy even back in the glory days of the Hants Avon......one only has to read John Bailey's book covering his attempts to catch big roach from the Wensum to realise the effort it takes to put one on the bank purposely and not just a'lucky'fish....

Our Mr Wintle has probably done better than most with fish of this weight(just a guess!)so perhaps he(or anyone else for that matter)could say where one stands the best chance these days...

For my money,and purely for sentimental reasons,I would love a Hants Avon fish of 2lb plus or,at a push one from the Wye..

Does any FM'er catch them(relatively) regularly-on purpose??

Last edited:

Mark Wintle

Reaction score
In the early 80s I went out and pretty much caught them on purpose yet there were anglers who fished the same waters, perhaps not quite as much as I did, but nonetheless failed to catch one. The prospects on that water were better a couple of years ago than they had been for some years but I fear that the water has peaked much as it did in the mid 80s and prospects are again very poor.

There are still big roach in the Dorset Stour but far, far less than 20 years ago. I can catch roach aplenty but even a pound plus is an achievement and finding those odd big ones like a needle in a haystack, hardly surprising when the river as whole is a thousand times bigger than Sway but with the same amount of big roach! I'll find that elusive 20th Stour '2' yet.

The Hants Avon has a few still between Downton and Salisbury.

You never know your luck though; I had a surprise '2' this season on a private lake when fishing for crucians and tench with a soft pellet.

quickcedo

Reaction score
Is there any more credibillity in catching a 2lb Roach from a river rather than still water?

rains

Reaction score
Is there any more credibillity in catching a 2lb Roach from a river rather than still water?
from local lakes or rivers i would say yes if caught on a privite stocked lake artificial ones where you chances are higher to me its not the same nothing wrong with privite fisheries

preston96

Reaction score

Depends.....a huge water where knowing where the roach are, undertow etc etc is paramount to succsess, can be a very challenging water.

A small commercial where bait has been shovelled down them and they have grown because of it will certainly be very interesting for a while if all you want is a 2lber come what may.

Its all about what you want.

andreagrispi

Reaction score
They are very rare indeed.

I've had 5 in 30 years angling. My eyes and ears are always open to big roach.

I've had a roach of 2lb 6.5oz in cheshire a 2lb 3.5oz fish in Hampshire and three in Sussex of 2lb 1.5oz; 2lb 1oz and 2lb. Strangely I've had lots between 1lb 12oz-1lb14oz.

I once lost a roach at the net in 1981 which was well over 2lb 8oz and came across a canal I never thought to fish; which was full of 2lb+ roach up to over 3lb 8oz - unfortunately all were dead due to a pollution leak.

dezza

Reaction score
Regarding river v stillwater, well I think that getting a 2 pound roach out of a river is a lot harder than getting one out of a stillwater.

I have this dream in that I just might catch one out of the Trent before I snuff it.

I mentioned earlier not to forget your local canal. Make no mistake there are far bigger roach in canals than you would think. However most anglers don't deliberately target them. I have a nice length of the Chesterfield canal lined up for fishing in the next few months. I have sorted out the top kits I am going to use with my pole and will among other baits be using breadpaste.

The Chesterfield, and the Stainforth Keadby, are the two best canals in the whole of England, holding specimen fish of a fair variety.

And you can get to fish them for just a few quid a year.