Hemp & tares & bloody dace !

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
Skippy it was meant in a lighthearted way and I trust it was taken as such.

Of course Graham...I really would be a grumpy old man if I couldn't have recognised that

---------- Post added at 17:03 ---------- Previous post was at 17:01 ----------

skippy

does it have to be hemp and tares? the reason I ask is cos a mate of mine just got back from a boating holiday on the thames... he wasn't going to be fishing seriously and so could only pick up some supermarket bait... and was then really surprised to start catching really good quality roach on sweetcorn. Just waggler fishing a foot off bottom (though most of the fish came on the drop)... nothing under 10oz or so, but nothing over a pound. Better than inch long chublets!!

No,it doesn't have to be H&T Jim but the old roach do like a tare.I had pondered the corn and I think I must try that too.

They're not chublets either...they are proper clonking dace.

flightliner

Reaction score
Flight get a spool of Kryston leadcore braid and take the leadcore out
PS or Korda
That thought had occured to me Spiders and I looked at my old lead cored flyline but it was (again) too thin and assumed that all cored lines would be the same but I will try as you so helpfully suggest. Mny thanks for the nudge!

A

alan whittington

S-kippy,have you tried stewed wheat,or even pellet,as ive read articles by the man and wife team,Bill and Virginia Rushmer on the lower end of the river catching good bags of roach and dace on them,the bites should be better on both baits.

The fishing coach

Reaction score
A few years ago, when I used to fish the Lower Thames from a boat, it was possible to buy tins of black sweetcorn (Van Den Eynde, I think). This worked very well on the hook in conjunction with loose fed hemp, I haven't seen it for years though!

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
I remember that corn. The problem was the label did not state what colour it was.....
Imagine my shock when I turned up at a venue and opened the tin of corn and it was green.
There was orange, black and red and of course yellow.
It was much harder in texture to supermarket corn and stayed on the hook well on a long chuck..............
I have often dyed corn red or black using food dye. Black corn can be a winner on the right day...........

Rodney Wrestt

Reaction score
I remember that corn, I think it was Pescaviva or something like that?

---------- Post added at 23:03 ---------- Previous post was at 23:01 ----------

Just had a look, yep, it was

Jim Crosskey 2

Reaction score
No,it doesn't have to be H&T Jim but the old roach do like a tare.I had pondered the corn and I think I must try that too.

They're not chublets either...they are proper clonking dace.[/QUOTE]

Fair enough Skippy. I used to fish a very small tributary of the thames, the ock in my hometown. Occasionally you'd find a big shoal of dace and you could whip them up to boiling by throwing in half a dozen maggots evry twenty or thirty seconds for a while... however, put a baited hook in amongst this apparent frenzy and you'd be amazed at how the bait would be grabbed and then let go by the fish, I guess they're just very sensitive to anything feeling "wrong" about a bait and that's when they spit it.

Having managed a couple of clonking dace, I can appreciate why you want to catch them, they punch well above their weight IMO, better than a chub of a similar size. Really beautiful fish too.

A

alan whittington

One thing i forgot to say is,that when dace were the match fish at Kingston and Richmond,a lot of the good weights were caught by counting,rather than watching the float,say count to ten after casting in,then up or down to get the best catch rate,worth a go,i would certainly try it if it happens again mate.

matt1960

Reaction score
The last time I caught proper clonking dace was on the Kentish Stour, around Canterbury, back in the 80's. Memories!!!

Yes, I remember it all to well, looking down over Vauxhall bridge and seeing a small shoal of dace that all went well over a pound, possibly some record ones in there.
But then the river had a good head of Trout and Roach up to over 3lb.
Like so many rivers in this age, the demise seems permanent.