Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Have you tried the dodge of a big cork on a porcupine quill, the theory being that shot-bites and spit-outs will just bob, proper bites will (sometimes) hook themselves against the bouyancy of the (hugely undershotted) float?
    Yes, I know it's a bolt-rig, but desperate times, desperate measures...

Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathrow and the A3

Alan : Sort of tried that by undershotting my float and ignoring everything that didn't bury and hold the float.

Graham :I will never use a pole.If missing dace bites is the price I have to pay then that's a good deal so far as this die hard running line,proper float man is concerned. A pox on them.

Mark : The irregular dollop I did NOT try and I like the idea. Next time I shall dropper a pint in and not feed.

Any observations on hooks ? Pattern,size etc ? I tried various sizes and patterns without ever really finding one I was totally convinced by.

Blog Entries

Here is the "Tare Fly".

Hook: Kamasan size 16 B175
    Thread: Black Silk

Place hook in vice and start winding on a black silk body, the same size and shape as a tare grain. Whip finish and give at least 3 coats of varnish.

Fish as normal with stick or waggler float.

It saves you having to bait the hook beween fish.

And you think I am kidding!

The lower Thames and the tidal have always had huge dace shoals, this year the population has certainly come back with a vengeance, despite the constant cormorant predation and some pollution incidents.
    Skippy I know you won't try a pole but as Graham says the pole is king for this method on the Thames , especially when you have shallow water a rod length out and the fish are further out over the drop off, as is the case on many lower Thames venues.

Ah! Skippy, why do you handicap yourself using a single method, half the fun of angling is the various means of catching fish, you are a bit like fly anglers, choose a species then try by every means possible not to catch them.

I always have been a float angler by preference but it doesn't stop me from using other methods if they are better suited for the job in hand. It is hard enough most times to catch fish without handicapping oneself by restricting how you do it. Each to his own though I guess.

Don't know about Ron's method but what does work when they are feeding is a small black bead with a piece of white pole elastic tied through it to imitate the kernel and to attach the hook to. I've used it many times and saves so much time especially if its cold or your fingers are lacking in feeling as mine are.

Politicians, like diapers, have to be changed frequently - and for the very same reason

it really does baffle me when people ask for advice on how to deal with a situation and when given the information say oh no i'm not going to do that it's not what i do.

Skippy, how were you hooking the tare?

I too have had this problem, so I fish a size 12 wide gape and set the tare on the shank of the hook with the whole bend of the hook showing. Works for me, but you still miss a few because the tare slips onto the bend sometimes. And I always bulk the shot 18 inches from the hook, no droppers.

Good luck.

Look, lets face it mate, you're getting on and your reactions are shot.
    Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.

I'm not trying to be funny here, but could some (or even a lot) of the fish in front of you be rather smaller than you think? I've had a couple of sessions on the thames this year fishing up in the water with maggots when I've experienced similar numbers of missed bites... however, it turns out that in amongst the decent dace and roach are HORDES of tiny chub, which are actually well capable of pulling the float under... just a thought

I had this trouble last year and the problem was an incorrect feeding regime. When I got home I boned up on Roach Fishing by 'Faddist', where he explains the entire hemp feeding regime brilliantly, went back, did it right, and cleaned up. I had got the whole thing a bit backwards.

I was dace fishing BTW, not roach, and with red maggots, so not entirely useful advice given here! but I'm sure you know what I mean?
    Next cast ...

Idler's Quest

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast