Rare floats I would like to own.....

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
My stock of decent floats has dwindled over the years. Some or most are out of production or fashion.
The ones I am after are....
2 swan drennan reversed peacock wagglers 12". usually grey with red and white tip.
MAP Dave Harrell 6BB peacock 11" to 12" wagglers usually green with red top.
Drennan pole sticks any size.
drennan lignum sticks any size.
I will pay postage and any reasonable price for them , they are for my personal use and not for resale.
Or if you know of any shops or suppliers please PM me.
Thanks in advance .
simon.

Last edited:

captain carrott

Reaction score
don't forget to keep your eye on fleabay,

i would like to be able to help you out in other ways, but this would require me to remove them from my collection.:D

Lord Paul of Sheffield

Reaction score
I tend to go through stages with floats.
I buy two or three every time I visit the tackle shop for a few weeks and then none for months
Then I find I've lost or broken many of them so I'm back to stocking up again

matt1960

Reaction score
I am also looking for the Drennan reversed wagglers, but they only seemed to make them for a year or so, I think in the 90's.
They are the best floats for light dragging bottom that I have ever fished with, and very slim and delicate that they easily bend or break.
Had dozens of Roach over a pound with this method when the stick will not give perfect presentation.
Would love a couple of sets of these.

Mark Wintle

Reaction score
I second that. I'm presuming a reversed waggler is one made using tapered peacock quill with the thicker end at the base. That's how I make mine. I also do wagglers with three pieces of peacock to get even more taper. These cast very well. The real answer with wagglers is to source some quill and make your own. That's what I've done for 35 years and wagglers are very easy to make compared to some other floats.

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
Image used to make them and as with all thing made by Image they were good floats, we used them on windy days fishing still water but though they were excellent floats I never did understand the reasoning behind them.

If you are using them for dragging the river bed Simon have you thought of using speci wagglers, they take a lot of shot and are ideal for dragging the bait slowly through the swim?

peter crabtree

Reaction score
They are peacock quills with the thicker end at the top. Usually a foot or so long. They are very buoyant and are ideal for slow deepish rivers , Usually used slightly overdepth to drag the bait along the bottom , great for Thames roach fishing.

Last edited:

Paul Boote

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Brings back some good memories of the hunt for peacock quills and herl and "eyes" for flytying.

India. New Delhi. Lutyens' Connaught Circle. Janpath, the famous shopping street and one of the Circle's radial arms. End of yet another, long, mahseer and / or trout trip. Space available in the extra, six-foot-long, four-inch diameter, plastic drainpipe, rod-tube brought out to India for the trip home...

Janpath. Fancy shops. Good bookshops. The Government of India Crafts Emporium (fixed prices, no haggling). Street hawkers (haggling obligatory) - streethawkers selling peacock fans made of dozens of forest-collected, naturally shed, peacock tails, for pence at one time, now, doubtless, for a few pounds...

That spare rod-tube came back to Britain stuffed full of peacock fans lots of times. I have enough quills for floats and herl for flytying to see me out.

matt1960

Reaction score
Most peacock wagglers, the taper is from thicker at the bottom to thinner at the top. This is ideal in some conditions, but in flowing water a thicker tip will allow a certain amount of dragging through. And there are times when the Roach will not have it any other way.
This Drennan float is made with the thinner part of the quill and has good length, but still sensitive enough. It is a very light and delicate float, and damage and breakages probably ended its production, which was for a very short time.
If someone knows where I could buy a few sets from, please let me know.
floatdrennan005.jpg

the indifferent crucian

Reaction score
I did find one possible image, but it was a tapered waggler with the thick end fished uppermost. No good for stillwaters, but I'm sure it would be grabbed by the current in a river, something like a Fluted Avon ????

Having accidentally trodden on yet another cane tipped float this morning I am about to make the leap into plastics.....or revert to buying floats from Drennans.

peter crabtree

Reaction score
Thanks Nick , very tempting I could order the whole range ....
I have just taken rough measurements of my only surviving 12" reverse peacock and at the base it is 3mm and the tip is 4mm, and it is injured as in broken.
My notice of these floats dates back a few years when son of meldrew came a very close 2nd in the Marlow rose bowl trophy match at Marlow on Thames.
In wintery conditions , downstream wind, and a footpath behind him ruling out the pole he opted for this method. His shotting pattern was, apart from the 2 locking shot , made up of strung out doubled up no8 shot with a couple of no10 droppers, some 28 no 8s neatly set in a parabolic pattern around 8ft depth, single maggot dragging bottom . All his fish were prime Thames redfins...
Peg 1 won it with a very close weight on the pole with breadpunch .

matt1960

Reaction score
Yes, I have just one undamaged one left. The 2aa+. They are incredibly delicate and very easily broken.
From memory, I believe I bought mine as a set of 5, but cant remember all the sizes.
It does look as if I will have to make something similar myself.

the indifferent crucian

Reaction score
Thanks Peter, so no taper then, or not to speak of? What is it that is 'reversed' about them?

That is extraordinaryly thin peacock quill at 3mm.

I have been fire-hardening the tips of my cane stemmed floats for most of this year. Todays injured soldier has in fact survived, only the paint on the tip had cracked. It deserves another chance as I had a dozen fish with it today. During the time I fished I only saw one other banked...these cane stems are just great for when the fish are feeding indifferently.

I still missed all the bites on the drop though.....stupid roach:mad: