Perch Bobbers?????

Reaction score
Bet you refused to play when there were only jumpers for goalposts!!!!:cool:

You youngsters - no sense of the value of tradition - you're the sort of young whipper-snapper to sneer at folk who still utilise the Mitchell 300!

Last edited:

jcp01

Reaction score
Never tried one, though from watching the way perch eat lobworms recently I can see how they might help hook perch in the lip if the hook had an inturned point with all that resistance pulling it ever so gently out of the gut.

They must work, those old boys did know a thing or two that we've forgotten about floats

I do actually have one in the float box, never used, that I'm saving for this autumn's grayling outing on the Itchen.

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
What gave you the notion that bobbers help with presentation Matt?
I can't see one helping at all. They are buoyant little floats and to my mind would offer too much resistance unless shotted down to a pinprick, but then they wouldn't bob would they...........

Reaction score
When I was a kid I used a perch bobber regularly. It's all I had (old floats my dad was prepared to let me have!).

The I discovered this thing called 'presentation' and started using wagglers etc and caught a lot more.

So, what's a perch bobber got that a waggler hasn't?

Serious question and not a pop at the split cane boys.

captain carrott

Reaction score
you ever tried fishing a small live bait on a waggler, or a bunch of lobs?

captain carrott

Reaction score
that's the situation where the bobber comes into it's own, fishing a big bunch of lobs, or a small live such as a 1 to 2 inch bleak.

simple shotting, with a bulk just below half depth, no faffing and very effective.
the extra buoyancy of an under shotted bobber stops the small fish pulling it under, this won't bother the perch at all. where a true pike float would be too buoyant .

Reaction score
I can understand the problem of fishing a livebait with a waggler, but whats the problem with the worms?

If the worms are on the deck, layed on say, then the float won't be pulled under.

Tony Stevens

Reaction score
When reading the foregoing I realize that not one of you is a dedicated big perch angler. The bobber is designed for a predator that likes a moving bait. Try your waggler twitching a lob worm, bunch of red worms or a tiny feather jig in a very slow retrieve and you will appreciate the buoyancy of the bobber, even better is a slip float. ( Like an Avon float body with a tube through it with the line running free):w

sam vimes

Reaction score
You youngsters - no sense of the value of tradition - you're the sort of young whipper-snapper to sneer at folk who still utilise the Mitchell 300!

I'll never sneer at someone using a Mitchell, they'll have my pity. However, if they try to convince me that it's still the best reel ever created, I'll probably laugh so much that a bit of wee will come out.;):D:p

nicepix

Reaction score
I'll never sneer at someone using a Mitchell, they'll have my pity. However, if they try to convince me that it's still the best reel ever created, I'll probably laugh so much that a bit of wee will come out.;):D:p

Mullet640x480.jpg

:w

chav professor

Reaction score

Mitchells are amazing reels!!!! Not as refined as the later ambidexs..... but a solid reel which does the job it was designed to do.

All those extra bearings make modern reels nice and smooth, but they are simple refinements. I can't think of any fish I have caught on a fixed spool reel that a Mitchell would not have performed as well.

David Dalton

Reaction score
Drennan still make a bobber float. I have used them in fast, turbulent water, where the buoyant body keeps them stable, and the prominent tip shows well at a distance.

I have never seen the logic of using them specifically for perch though. Surely the choice of float should usually be dictated by the conditions in which it is being used, or the bait, rather than the species fished for?