Ground bait paste

flightliner

Reaction score
Anyone ever used ground bait paste on the hook? Years ago it was often a winning bait down in fenland-- it was often referred to as "puddin" by matchmen and any bite had using it was invariably a "sitter". I often used it
back in the late eighties when quivertipping for Trent bream- it was deadly on some of the lower reaches, later on in the nineties I even had Barbel on it.I never hear of anyone using it these days but its one of my all time favourite baits.:)

slime monster

Reaction score
I have dabbled with it with some success using green Swimstim but got better results using my own paste made from Koi fish sticks , however it is worth a try I always prefer a stiffer paste than is the trend and could not achieve the texture I wanted with groundbait .

flightliner

Reaction score
I always prefer a stiffer paste than is the trend and could not achieve the texture I wanted with groundbait .
The thing about plain groundbait paste was that it only ever needed to be just stiff enough to be cast out without leaving the hook. Once on the bottom it readily disolves into a small pyramid shape with the hook lying inside-- so long as it remains like that whenever a fish such as a bream sucks it into its mouth the hook simply follows giving an almost unmissable bite as the fish unsuspectingly moves away for whatever reason--- the last one it not being spooked.

slime monster

Reaction score
You are of course right there ,I know a matchman that uses paste like slop with great success with a dotted down paste float, I got fed up of missing bites on it from silvers so I buried a large hook in a big stiff lump of paste with the hook point exposed and sat on my hands watching the float twitching until it sailed away and that solved the problem .