Why/What/How Shimano Reel Numbering.

willyjohn

Reaction score
Good Afternoon,

Being, as I am, from today, a new member I take this opportunity to say a sincere 'hello' to you all. May our association be long, enjoyable & mutually beneficial.:)

Now to my first question - Upon reading the various fishing hobby magazines I cannot help but notice the prominence of Shimano reels, all sorts/types of Shimano reels in fact.

Maybe someone can find the time to explain the logic of the reference numbering of the various 'S' reels before I go out & purchase the wrong one for my needs?

Regards,

Pocklington:)

Bluenose

Reaction score
Welcome to the site mate.

You'll get plenty of suggestions and not just 'shimano' ones but it would help if you told us what sort of fishing are you hoping to do.

geoffmaynard

Content Editor
Reaction score
Welcome to FM Willy.

As Bluenose suggests, info on what fishing you intend to do, and where you intend to do it will be helpful because the question is a bit wide as it is. Is this a reel you want for general pleasure fishing? Roach, chub etc or is it for larger fish, carp/pike etc?

Fred Bonney

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Generally speaking, the numbering increases with the size of the reel.

1000 being small, up to 10000 being big, for casting to the horizon and holding enough line to get there!

Welcome aboard Willyjohn

Ray Daywalker Clarke

Reaction score
Welcome WillyJohn,

As has been said in general the bigger the number, then bigger the reel and spool size. As for the letters, some are rear drag and some front drag.

So many reels on the market nowdays, and knowing what kind of fishing you want o do, and what your fishing for would help, so we can then help you.

willyjohn

Reaction score
Hello Ray,

It was more a 'question of curiosity' really, but I hear what you say. I'm strictly a pleasure angler, haven't got much option really cos' the coarse fishing around here is, at best, moderate.

Can't be bothered with 'heavy' carp fishing, too boring, I like to watch a float when I'm at it. So, its the usual fare; roach, rudd, chub, perch etc.

What do you recommend?

Regards,

Mr P

Ray Daywalker Clarke

Reaction score
I would look at reels in the 4000 range.

Small enough for float fishing, and big enough for Qivertip when feeder or ledgering.

Shimano, Diawa, Okuma, and you won't have to break the bank. I still use Mitchell 300's and the Match, many wouldn't.

You need to get to a well stocked tackle shop as there are so many reels around, but take a look at the Exage from shimano, thats a good starting point.

Some will say use 2500 size, but it's all down to opinion's, at the end of the day, It's what you want that matters, lus how much you want to spend.

Rodney Wrestt

Reaction score
Welcome aboard W.J. :)
In my opinion for general fishing a 2500 - 3000 size is perfect for float fishing, either on canal/river/stillwater.

If you intend to go for match sized carp in a commercial venue a step up to a 4000 size will see you able to bang out a pellet waggler all day and of course it is the perfect size for general legering and feeder fishing in all the previous mentioned venues and most reels come with at least one spare spool.

On the float sized reels I'd suggest anything up to 4lb line (I prefer to load mine with 2lb floating line on one spool, sinking on the other) and on the feeder reels up to 8lb (I load mine with 4lb and 6lb)