The joys of a lighter test curve.

Paul H

Reaction score
Derbyshire: best beer, best cheese, best puddings.
I purchased a John Wilson Signature Avon rod at the 'Go Fishing' show last Sunday. Fishing on a reservoir with it the following two days I caught no large fish but the action in this rod made playing them so much fun! My two other rods were bought specifically for carp and pike really so at around 2.5lb test curves it doesn't give a smaller fish much chance, certainly no bend in the rod! This rod has made me realise that things like float fishing can be fun and so can smaller fish. Plus I got John to sign the butt, for good luck, nice chap.

P

paul williams 2

Agree 100%, fishing should be fun, however you find it.... and big fish ain't always the answer.

B

Basil MacCabe

I hope you mean he signed the butt of the rod. :eek:)

It's about a 1? lb TC if I remember, nice! You really don't require heavy rods to have a great time.

Paul H

Reaction score
Derbyshire: best beer, best cheese, best puddings.
No, I'll never wash again now.

It is 1?lb and much more enjoyable to use than my other rods. Not that they don't have their place. I caught small Tench, Bream, Mirrors and Crucians as well as a couple of large Roach and Perch using the slider float ledgering technique. Tried this before and not enjoyed it but use the right tackle and suddenly it's fun.

Baz

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Paul,
I couldn't agree more with you on the Wilson rod. it really is surprising on what they can handle. And they are a lot safer once you get a decent fish near the bank. With the through action you can also use lighter lines.

A

Adrian Bartle

I have recently started re-using my old Sigma Wand, and you're right about it being more fun! at least every fish feels a good 'un!;-)

Fat Blerk

Reaction score
Funny you should mention this. I caught my first two double figure carp this weekend, both while feeder fishing with me John Wilson. Fantastic fight with both of them on my lower tc rod. I did't get a sniff on me carp rod with corn or boilies.

Joskin

Reaction score
Why use specimen rods at all when fishing stillwaters unless you are expecting 20lb plus carp or need to cast over 60 yards?

A good feeder rod will be able to handle most fish and will also help you to enjoy the fight more than you would with any specimen rod.

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay

So what is a specimen rod?

The sort of rod you would use to catch a specimen roach?

P

paul williams 2

Personally a 7ft flyrod with a #3 line....from a tiny intimate river......but 11/4tc rod with 2" hooklink at long range if thats where they were!

Joskin

Reaction score
What seem to be labelled specimen rods these days Ron are relatively stiff action rods usually with abbreviated handles and normally seem to be accompanied by alarms and lazy anglers

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay

I thought as much Joskin, but I wanted to hear it from someone else.

So I don't own a specimen rod at all. All my rods have some action, most have full cork handles and a couple have caught fish bigger than the biggest carp ever caught in this country.

:eek:)

I'm a Noddy.

Joskin

Reaction score
Good to hear it Ron. Keep up the good noddy work.

Paul
What size and species are the fish that you have been enjoying on a 1.25lb tc Rod.

Joskin

Reaction score
Last season I took my 3 year old nephew roach fishing with a 5ft carbon rod that is about as thick as a pencil at the butt.
Both times we ended up catching uite a few tench around 5lb .
Now that was fun

P

paul williams 2

Joskin,
Ron asked what rod i would use to catch a specimen roach, my first choice, the fly rod would be the stuff of dreams.....my second choice, the 11/4tc rod is what is needed when they are at 50+yds on a huge pit or reservoir and i may only get a couple of bites in a night.....hence the 2" hooklink.......guess what i'm really saying is horses for courses?

Joskin

Reaction score
That's why I asked what you were fishing for as in your opening statement you mentioned Float fishing for small fish.

I was going to recomend that you tried A soft waggler rod in that case and it will be even more fun.

Ric Elwin

Reaction score
I used my 'match' rod on Sunday. It's probably slightly stiffer then some but a joy to fish with as it doesn't 'lock up'.

5lb main line, 4lb bottom, 14 hook with a soft pellet. 3 bites, 3 Carp, best 13.12. Never any danger of losing them, great fun!

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay

By the way do you know why they are called "match rods"?

Because they are not used for match fishing anymore...... :eek:)