Clean Pole

B

Big Steve

Ok, so the outside of my pole is now all shiny and clean and glides through my hands beautifully. I have a pole cleaning kit which cleans most of the inside of my pole all apart from the top section. How do I get that clean? My elastic is getting caught on the pole sides. I do lubricate when fishing, but this seems to have built up a layer of goo.

Cheers

P

paul williams 2

erm....shouldn't this be on the over 18 section, BIG Steve? ;)

N

NottmDon

Rubison pole cleaning brushes, think Maver sell em if they dont preston innovations are bound to have something similar. To do it on the cheap though buy a babies bottle cleaner tie it to some mono and pull it through the sections. You may need to cut back the home made jobby but the rubison one comes with a few diffo size brushes.

P

paul williams 2

Couldn't resist it Don.....sorry Steve, i'm only little so don't take offence!

B

Big Steve

Tis all right mate. I did try to phrase it so it didn't sound rude. But obviously I failed.

And NottDom - I already have pole cleaning brushes, it's just that they don't fit into the number 1 section of the match kits. They also only fit about 1/4 of the way up the number two section of the match kit and half way up the power number 1 section.

I need to get these clean as I can see the elastic stick to the sides and it's stopping the elastic fully retreiving into the pole especially when wet, even when I have it set really tight.

W

Wolfman Woody

What about a length of cottom string pulled through with your diamond eyed threader? Leave the string long enough then you and your partner (male or female, I'm an open-minded modern thinking bloke) can pull it backwards and forwards ......

Oh dear, where is this leading?

L

Laurie Harper

I find elastic sometimes sticks to the inside of the top section even if the pole's clean, especially if it gets wet (which it always does, natch). One possible cure is to use a slightly larger bush than you need for a given strength of elastic, thus increasing the narrowest size of the bore. Of course, this involves cutting the tip back a few more inches, but it can help. Experimenting with different elastic lubes can make a difference, too. It's a perennial problem.

W

Wolfman Woody

"Experimenting with different elastic lubes can make a difference, too."

I agree. I have some Maver stuff, quite cheap and it does work with soem elastics, but Preston's Slik (?) gloop is still the best. Just whack plenty in - it helps boost Preston's profit. :eek:)

S

Scott Whatmore 2

On my Dad's advice I use STP's 'son of a gun', its a protectant for vinyl, plastic, leather & rubber. Not had any probs at all and only ?3.50 for 250ml. Can be hard to find though!

S

Scott Whatmore 2

Sorry, my note may not be clear, I use it as a lubricant for my pole and do not have any problems with the elastic stcking

N

NottmDon

Steve what about a gun cleaning kit, maybe you wouldnt need the whole kit but it may work. Failing that a pipe cleaner or cotton bud pulled through the pole might work using the elastic threader. You just dont want anyhting thats gonna stick fast inside or split the section, must be something out there.