Split Shot-who makes the very best??

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
I haven't bought split shot for many years but as my stock is running low I need to buy more.

I need a product that is the very best for light lines(say around 2,5lb BS)but maybe this is not so good for heavier lines and two types are needed??

Cost cannot be an issue with this as its so very important....

What to you recommend??

Thanks!

Mark Hewitt

Reaction score
My favorite..

ABB.jpg

---------- Post added at 17:45 ---------- Previous post was at 17:39 ----------

I've never got on very well with 'dinsmore' - always found them a little too hard.

I like the dispensers from preston though as well, and not had any issues with their shot.

Google Image Result for http://www.tacklesaver.co.uk/acatalog/shot_dispenser_non_toxic.jpg

blankmeister

Reaction score
For the smaller sizes 8 and 9 which I seem to use most I've found the stotz shot with the stotta pliers have been a godsend. Combined with the levapiomba shot remover it has made life so much easier for me as my eyesight fails and fingers seem to be more like bunches of bananas:rolleyes::rolleyes:

A

alan whittington

Really Mark,i have yet to have anchor groove with your line,yet dinsmores do,i think that all modern non-toxic shot is too hard,but i always thought lead was a dodgy option,way before it was banned,personal preference Mark is what it comes down to and anchor,dinsmores and preston are all perfectly usable,unless you use pliers on them:eek:;).

Jeff Woodhouse

Moaning Marlow Meldrew
Reaction score
For match fishing situations and a lot of pole float work I like Dinsmores Egg Shot.

T7ESL.jpg

For other applications and a lot of general float fishing, stick and wagglers, I like Dinsmores normal soft shot.

T7SQL.jpg

I never got along with Anchor shot and although Thamesly shot was fairly decent, it's no longer available.

I guess I'm the opposite to Mark. :( :eek:

Most shot is made from zinc and not made as in the old days of lead by droplets in a tower. It's clicked out of wire by a machine. A room of 8 of these machines going off like machine guns is deafening to say the least. You can't hear yourself shout.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I think the anchor shot is a better bet than the dinsmores although in bygon times I always preferred real lead to the modern lead replacement stuff. It seemed to be much softer and less damaging to the line.
Out of the replacement stuff I'd deffo go for the anchor myself.

chavender

Reaction score
Ilkeston ,derbyshire ,great britain ,earth ,The un
I've tried all the usual suspects (Dinsmores being the best of them) trouble is regular tungston or tin shot are just big ,tin especially and i find it doesn't behave quite like old fashioned lead shot .

i have however found the best ever non toxic shot ,its grandeslams double density shot ,its closer in size too old fashioned lead shot and behaves better than tungstan or tin shots in the water ,its only downside is the cost ,all splitshot is expensive but grandeslams double density is a tad bit more than other brands ,having tried it now ,i wont go back too the other non toxic splitshot made from tin or tungstan

Wayahead Tackle Ltd Weights & Split Shot

Mark Wintle

Reaction score
From what I remember Dinsmore make Anchor shot (Graham M. visited the factory) and probably some of the other brands as well. They are made from tin not zinc. Small bombs and other leger weights are made from zinc.

I prefer Anchor but do work the hinge a couple of times to soften it up, and reuse it until it doesn't grip at all. There are no tungsten shot available.

chavender

Reaction score
Is it line-friendly, Chavender?

its not as soft as lead ,but softer than tungstan and less brutal than tin ,you might need too ease it open ,too move /slide it but that depends i guess on how hard you first pinch them on .I've not had any damage too line so far ,and i've been using line as fine as 2lbs with hooklinks of 1.7lbs but the 1.7lbs hooklink had no 9 or no 11 lead shot .this is the shot i'm most likley too move ,so not really comparable.

i don't use all sizes of shot ,i only use SSG ,AAA ,bb,no4 ,no6 ,no9 & no 11 dust shot ,any other odd sized shot i have .I use it for making up pole floats so i only brought 2 of the 4way disspenser's and 2 filler tubs of SSG ,my legal lead shot no9 ,no11 is dinsmores but if i had too replace it ,i'd probably go for the grandeslam micro dispenser tub .

i guess ,the only way too tell if it meets a individuals requirements is too buy a filler tub of say BB shot or no4 ,and try them out ,i was lucky enough too have a local supplier ,so got mine from there

Last edited:

Ray Daywalker Clarke

Reaction score
You could always try Heavy Metal, it's a putty from Kryston and can be reused time and time again.
Great for trotting, and any float fishing, but you will have to adjust it from time to time.

I don't care what shot i use, as i have all kinds, this is because they all wiegh different, and i found by mixing them on the line, i can get the float to be shot down just as i want it, perfect.

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
Chavender...I'd like to try the Grandslam Double Density if I could find a shop that stocks it(small dispensers)-tried three shops from the website and all have accounts but no stocks!!

Any idea if its available online.......(I've emailed them to find a supplier close to me but thought you might know of someone....)

Thanks

chavender

Reaction score
Chavender...I'd like to try the Grandslam Double Density if I could find a shop that stocks it(small dispensers)-tried three shops from the website and all have accounts but no stocks!!

Any idea if its available online.......(I've emailed them to find a supplier close to me but thought you might know of someone....)

Thanks
i don't know i'm affraid ,i struck it lucky ,as one of the stockists listed was in the next town only a few miles away ,its a shop i hadn't been too before but they had them in .a quick google found these

Grandeslam Double Density Refill Split Shot All Sizes [DDR] - ?1.75 : Avenue Angling Discount Fishing Tackle, online fishing tackle

Grandeslam Double Density Shot Refill Tubs

chubby48

Reaction score
shot

i av gone off dinsmores its too hard------i now use anchor i find it better