Moving South

Reaction score
Hi, all you helpful anglers! I'm about to commence a move "darn sarf" south west to be more precise, probably Devon or Cornwall. It seems Somerset and Dorset are too expensive (property-wise)so my local ain't gonna be the Stour or Avon, unfortunately! I refuse to live next to a river devoid of coarse fish so before a choice is made I could do knowing a bit about the South West scene. I hope someone can put me in the pic it will be most helpful. Thanx and tight lines!

Smokedodger

Reaction score
Hi Bed Ronder,
Not much in the way of Coarse rivers in Devon & Cornwall except for the River Exe in and around Exeter.(That I know off) Plenty of lakes and comnmercial fisheries and a good match scene if you're into that!!

F

Frothey

bude canal maybe....

a lot of devon's as expensive as kent, the nice bits even more so........all those bloody townies moving in ;)

glad i moved down when i did!

F

Frothey

the taw used to have decent roach in it above barnstaple (aparently) but most of the devon rivers are sewn up with game fishing

Ric Elwin

Reaction score
Best advice I can give is don't move. The fishing isnt as good in the north, but the quality of life is much better.

F

Frank "Chubber" Curtis

Devon and Cornwall are a bit of a wasteland as far as river coarse fishing is concerned. There's quite a few commercial fisheries that offer good fishing but during the summer these tend to get crowded except for Whiteacres which is such a huge complex you need a course in orienteering to find your way round it.
I think if I was to move to either of those counties I'd give up freshwater fishing and switch to the sea. You've got a few hundred miles of coastline and the fishing can be fantastic.

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay

Trout and seatrout, that's what I'd fish for.

And the sea of course.

Smokedodger

Reaction score
Can't believe I forgot about Bude Canal as I'm a member of Bude club. Good bunch of lads and the fishing ain't bad either.
Stafford Moor not so busy as Whiteacres and just as good, if not better.
Melbury Resevoir is huge and is good for all species and midweek you'll have the place to yourself.

F

Frothey

"Best advice I can give is don't move. The fishing isnt as good in the north, but the quality of life is much better"

i totally agree ;)

J

john ledger

Bed turn back now mate before its too late,i wiil have a word with the northern border guards to let you back in

Reaction score
Thanx all for the feedback!
Frothey, you don't half look like Zakk Wylde!

Frank, GIVE UP COARSE FISHING!!!!, are you even allowed to say that on this website!?
It looks like I will certainly be learning how to sea fish though, it would be insane not to. As for knocking coarse fishing on the head, well that can't happen it would have my old Grandad turning in his watery, coarse fish-filled grave! I will just have to do a few more miles a week!

John, I will hold you to that, I will still be doing the occasional trip to my family in Scarborough, via The Wharfe and Swale of course! So the border guards better get ready!

F

Frank "Chubber" Curtis

Sorry Bed but having no rivers and only commercial bagging waters to fish just aint my cup of tea mate.

Reaction score
I will just have to drive to the Avon, I do a regular 120 mile round trip to the Wharfe and sometimes a 180 miler to the Swale so I suppose the Avon won't be out of the question. And like you say I have a whole new Sea fishing adventure to start too.

Am I trying to convince myself here?! mmmmm

Smokedodger

Reaction score
Bed, don't forget the Exe, some good coarse fishing there and also the Tone just up the motorway into somerset and King Sedgemoor Drain I think it's called.Where abouts are you moving to anyway?

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
I'm surprised, having read back through the posts, that nobody has suggested the easterly part of Devon or west Dorset, you would have the best of both worlds then. You would be in easy striking distance of the Frome, Stour, Avon and gawd knows how many pools. Take the kids to the seaside as well, keep the missus happy and its a lovely area too. Go on, be a devil, annoy Frothey and move in.

F

Frothey

maybe i AM zakk wylde.....just ask cakey, he's heard me (and my litlle'un) playing crazy train ;)

frank, there are loads of non commercial ressies, not the easiest fishing, but what do you want? apart from rivers!

really cant believe that someone would rather live up north than in the southwest, other than the fishing and the wages!

K

keith reid

sorry to say this Bed , but some of the negative advice you've been given is misleading. The coarse fishing in Devon can be excellent. If you want big perch, excellent river bream and carp, and nice (non commercial) stillwaters, then Devon has a lot to offer. Don't forget the mullet. Check out the Newton Abott ang club websitr for example. If you want more specific details gimme an email. keith.

Reaction score
Graham, thats what I want to hear! Thanx for the pos feedback, and thanx to all I haven't been on the site for a while now till this question popped up and I'd forgot what a sociable bunch of chaps we anglers are!
Smoke, it looks like Tiverton is a likely choice but I am off on a recce on the 4th of june to Braunton, sort of half holiday for the boys first birthday and half info gathering trip so I'm still in the process of deciding on an area to move to.
Frothey, I'm a bit of an axe wielder myself, but the boy just plays bow and arrow with the strings at the moment, I'll make a Stevie Ray or a Ray Walton out of him yet tho!

F

Frothey

tiverton puts you closer to better fishing......braunton puts you closer to beaches and short skirts!
i live nearer braunton......