Pocket rocket

R

Rob Mortimer

I've purchased a Gardener pocket rocket today and hope to use it tomorrow.
I'll be fishing at about 60-70 yards for big bream on my local 40 acre gravel pit.
This season i have been very succesfull with big bags over a ton and bream to nearly 13lb but i keep finding that i lose the shoal after 2 or 3 fish for periods of up to 2 hours.
is this too little loose feed ?
I've been using about 10lb groundbait and 4 pints hemp and casters for a nine hour session,i just wondered if i put a bed out with the rocket first it may hold them a bit longer.
These shoal fish average 7-9lb so with such big fish do you think more loosefeed?
any tips on the rocket would be appreciated

thanks Rob

C

Carp Angler

Pellet and caster would keep them grubbing around for longer or maybe that catching a couple of fish is putting the shoal on edge for a while, they are then getting some confidence back and returning to your main feed area.

After you've caught a couple, try casting away from the main feed area to see if they've backed off abit.

R

Rob Mortimer

Carp Angler ,
Sorry should have said already got Active 8 pellets for tomorrow ,but whats the best way of feeding them ,in the rocket at the beginning or just in the groundbait or little and often what do you think?

P

Paul Williams

Rob,
If your shoal is a big one and they are large fish they will get through the bait in no time and then move off....IF they will take bait coming in whilst they are feeding then both a carpet laid down and regular feeding may work.
I would up the intial feed, stretching it further with cheap particles like par cooked rice,cheap feeder maggots,maize, etc etc, but i would want a 24hr trip (at least) to get the most out of heavy baiting......you are doing OK for shortish sessions mate!

C

Carp Angler

Wether I would top up during the session would depend on the depth of the water.
Anything over 6 feet and I would probably bait up continually using the spod, filled with pellet, caster and whatever
(a little plug of dry groundbait in the top will prevent spillage in flight)

I still think that the main reason for you not continually catching, is that the fish are backing off the feed area and would advise a cast to the outside of the baited area to induce further fish.

R

Rob Mortimer

Well , just got back ,spodded two bags active 8 pellets straight in at 60 meters in a diamond shape of about 5 meters across and 12 balls in the center with 2 pints casters.
Three blank hours and then away we went 24 bream up to 11lb 15ozs including 4 doubles and a 2lb Perch, all witnessed and weighed as i caught them to save a lot hassel at the end.
just totted it all up out of the notebook and i make it 166lb in 9 hours with the three hour blank start!
Still catching at the end but had to come away because i've got an appointment with the accountant ,urgh!!
anyway used advice from Paul and Carp so thanks boys, you can have the 66!!

C

Carp Angler

The cost of the advise is an invitation to the lake that you're fishing.

Seriously good bag up that man, write up and pictures for the site forthcoming?

P

Paul Williams

Cracking Rob!!!!!!
And Rik will eat all your scoff.....were i will bring you a curry!!! ;o)

R

Rob Mortimer

Your are more than welcome to come along the pit is in cambridgeshire ,e mail me if you ever want to come and have a dabble.[Rob@apsbuilding.freeserve.co.uk]
It is a fantastic lake but be warned we've had 6 successive blanks in the past,allthough this season it's fishing it's head off but i just know it's going to bite back!
?6 Day tickets on the bank when he bothers to turn up, because it's mainly a carp water and not many bother with the bream .
426lb in the last 5 visits including Tench to 9lb and Bream to 12lb 11 and nobody bothers to fish it ,unbelievable! Oh and Rik there's a fifty in it to, but don't tell anybody i told you.