Why are my hooklinks breaking?

Matt Brown

Reaction score
Over the last 6 weeks or so I've been targetting Tench and have been experimenting with different rigs and their effectiveness.

I've been having reasonable success using a simple in line method feeder (Korda 2.5oz) with shortish hooklinks of 4" or less.

On around 8 occassions or so, on a couple of different waters, I've had a run, picked up the rod and reeled in thinking I've missed the bite but on closer inspection I've found the hooklength has broken either at the loop knot or in the centre of the hooklength.

The bottom on both fisheries is almost free of weed and silt over sand or clay. I've found no damage to anything.

I've mainly been using Pro Micron 3 in 6.9lb (0.18mm I think) and Reflo Powerline in 0.17mm. I even had this happen once on 8lb Fox Mega Silk braid.

The loop knot has either been a figure of eight loop and occasionally an overhand loop.

Bait has mainly been maggots, but it's happened with Boilies too, so I don't suspect Eels (I've had this suggested to me).

Admittedley I've struck at most of these runs but with 6lb Maxima mainline and 1lb tc rods fished at anything up to 50 yards there's enough stretch that this shouldn't be an issue.

I've also been using helicoptor type rigs with hooklenths of 1.5" and I've haven't had a single breakage on that rig.

Does anyone have any ideas? This driving me nuts!

P

paul williams 2

Bite offs?.....are the fish taking your small baits well back whilst "sucking" at the method feeder? eels WILL take boilies BTW.

S

swordsy

could be roach they have pretty sharp pharingal teeth, if they are sitting on the bait and getting it well back into their throats.

mysterious

Matt Brown

Reaction score
I forgot to mention, it's happened with Corn too. Roach are few and far between in these waters. In fact I've only caught 1 of them in about 12 trips!

Paul - the boilies (pop ups only) have been as large as 15mm. The method mix has only been a groundbait that would break down quickly once the rig has hit the deck.

Lee - Some of the hooklinks have been as short as 2" so bite offs would surely be reduced. Maybe I should try even shorter hooklinks?

Mysterious indeed!

Ric Elwin

Reaction score
Matt I've never used the hooklength you refer to. I've used plenty though, but doubt I will ever again unless I'm fishing for small fish, Roach etc. I just find them far less reliable than 'standard' lines, more prone to unexpected breakage.

I see the hooklength you are using is a heavier breaking strain than your mainline. What I would do is use the maxima all the way through to the hook, or consider using 8lb Maxima/ Sensor mainline, with a 6lb Maxima hooklength. I know you are will be sarificing some finesse, as Maxima is thicker, but will that really effect your catches while using the method?

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
My guess would be your knot tying is the cause. There is an article on knot tying somewhere on this site and it will show you a much better loop knot than the ones you are using for a start, I think it was the Kryston guy who put it on, an excellent knot. Graham Marsden pinpointed the reason for knots breaking 2 inches from the knot when using a grinner, essentially its 4 turns only, not five.

Most hooklength breaks are down to tying, not all, but most.

Matt Brown

Reaction score
Ric, the Tench are only in the 3lb to 5lb bracket but they are incredibly fussy at the moment.

I've only just started fishing these lakes but the regulars tell me the fishing will become easier once the weather warms up properly.

I feel that if I can catch plenty now, while the fishing is a little harder and the fish more fussy I will learn more.

Based on my trips so far the fish do seem very fussy to the point where bites drastically tail off with poor presentation or heavier tackle. Therefore I'm reluctant to use heavier tackle. (Incidentally the Maxima will be binned as soon as I get my hands on some 6lb Krystonite)

I shall be trying heavier braid (as Lee suggested) and maybe even 10lb Krystonite as a mini stiff rig.

Graham, I always thought my knot tying was pretty good but now I'm beginning to wonder! I'll have to re-read the article you mention.

Matt Brown

Reaction score
Cheers Graham, I shall be reading the article and testing out my new knowledge on the fish in the morning!

J

jason fisher

if you ever do work it out let me know because i had exactly the same thing happen on corn a couple of years back

A

Andy "the Dog" Nellist

You can test your line and knots at home using a set of scales.

On Wilstone when fishing bars I've occaionally had problems with sharp stones cutting the hookline.

It is also possible that the Tench are picking up the bait and bolting towards you. This can be a problem with in-lines as the line will pass less freely through the feeder. The shock of the fish suddenly dragging a feeder and any groundbait attached to it will break quite strong hooklinks.

Personally I don't tend to use in-line leads or feeders instead using either running watch leads instead of in line feeders or PVA bags.

Matt Brown

Reaction score
Andy, my in-line rigs are semi fixed with the swivel jamming into the insert in the Korda method feeder. I shall try a lighter feeder to see if that might work.

I

Ian "snotman" Foden

Matt I do a lot of similar fishing and have regularly experienced exactly the same problems, as Andy correctly points out, Tench bolt so fast they will straighten out hooks or break fluoro often as high as 9lb !!

I also use Korda semi fixed leads, same problem.

Last weekend just by way of an experiment I used the same 7lb hooklengths that were getting broken and tried a carbon chub hook, sure enough, the hook was straightened before I even got to the rod. I then put on a forged hook and you guessed it...broken again. When I put braid on, no bites!

Last year I resorted to rotten links of 1 or 2lb onto 1 or 2oz leads and this worked but I lost a stupid amonut of leads, like every alternate cast! At least this landed me about 30% of what I hooked rather than 10% before. As tghe weed gets thicker the losses increase.

I am now resorting to using power gum but as yet not had any tench take my latest attempted rig, I am sure Andy can advise on this, I'm still experimenting myself.

A

Andy "the Dog" Nellist

Seating the swivel in the feeder magnifies the problem i described with fish running towards you.

If you fish a running feeder and backstop with a float stop 4-6" up the line you should cure the problem.

Darren George

Reaction score
I personally would avoid reflo for short tench hooklinks, after much barney rubble myself, although that doesnt solve anything for the other stuff you've been using.

Look at Kryston Snakeskin, Ive started using it totally stripped back in 3 and 6 inch HLs and have had no problems since.

Darren George

Reaction score
Oh whoops, if you do stick with reflo, avoid any loop knots, but if totally necessary, give it extra turns, which goes for all knots using reflo Ive noticed

W

Wolfman Woody

Matt, it's an interesting problem and I'm no expert to be suiggesting anything really, but having caught a few maniac tench from Clattercote on similar methods (WITH NO BREAKAGES!) can I suggest the following:

Korda Method Feeders are great, but a 2? ozs are too heavy IMO for the lines you are using and possibly some of what Andy say is therefore very true. If you want to fish with a through feeder trappign the swivel, try the Korum Spoon shaped feeders or 1oz (I think) as they take loads of feed and always (like Korda's) land right side up.

As for the line. Have you confidence in the hooklengths? I would, but then I never did like Pro Micron. Mr Marsden was kind enough to give me some Grauvelle trout tippet line rated at a nudge below 8lb, but boy is it fine. It's also damned tough so if you can find some try that. Failing that see if you can get Uncle Jack's Flourocarbon tippet line, the 6lb I measured at .22mm.