home made feeders

V

vince battams

i want to start making my own feeders, the actual feeders are no problem as i work in the photographic industry so i can lay my hands on 135mm film pots, where can i get the lead for the feeders, bearing in mind i am afraid of heights so no one suggest the church roof.

D

David Wass

Any builders merchants will sell rolls of lead. Just get a roll and cut lead to size required.

C

Carp Angler

Do you need strips of lead?
If not then ball leads or bombs at the base will give you carp feeders(or whatever they're called nowadays).

K

Kevan Farmer

Rolls of lead tend to be fairly large if you are thinking of using them for fishing purposes only. I don't know what the current prices are but it may prove to be inhibitive. You could try a local plumber for offcuts. Or, is it possible to use machine nuts from a hardware store? They would have to be wired in similar to carp feeders but would cheap.

M

MALC DOYLE

Vince you can also try a tyre fitters for the old balance weights,either melted down or as is.

D

DAVID WILLIAMS

Vince,try any DIY store where you can buy rolls of thin lead strips on sticky backing,their real use is for putting on windows to make them look like olde worlde if you know what I mean.

T

Tim Richardson

Vince I'll see if I can get hold of some lead pipe. Cut up and hammered to shape should do the job.Failing that, have you considered tungsten putty? It cures rock hard and can be moulded to any shape.

J

John Cady

You need a Plumber,CODE 3 OR Code 4 lead is easist to work with.A tough pair of scissors,stanley knife,or snips will cut it.

M

Martin Wright

The easiest solution is to buy the 'dead cow' type clip on feeder weights - trouble is they won' be much cheaper than just buying a feeder!

J

John Howard

I've been making my own for a while now using film canisters I form the holes by using a hot 6inch nail and melting the plastic. This seems to keep the strength of the plastic I use old lead flashing for the weight. If you want to make open enders Then insert a lentgh of dowel into the canister ( tight fitting) before cutting with a sharp knife. I have been told that the new kodak canisters are oval if so these will be good for the river contact me if you need further help

K

Kevan Farmer

John, you're thinking of the new APS format film containers as a whole not just Kodak. I agree that if I were making my own I reckon they would better on the river, they look as though they would hug the riverbed more efficiently.