The Story Of That Battle....

Bob Roberts

Reaction score
As promised in the recent popular thread on here, I have published the account of the titanic Trent battle, with previously unseen pictures, on my web site, including close-up pictures of the wounds.

Obviously I couldn' release these while the magazine was on sale but now the new issue is on the newsagent shelves it's fair to share.

Now make up your own mind about the 'thing' which took the biggest livebait ever used on the Trent. You will see I was not exaggerating when I suggested it took a 4lb barbel - quite the reverse in fact. You may also speculate from the bite radius how big the unseen fish might have been and you may well understand why I was able to make no impact upon it.

Enjoy!

Bob Roberts
Bob Roberts - Fishing information for the complete angler

will spencer

Reaction score
thanx for putting this online bob.very interesting pictures,i live close to the trent and to be honest don't fish it as much as i used to or as much as i should.i have never experienced anything like this apart from pike whilst catching roach and dace.the close up of the puncture wound is very large and the shape doesn't suggest that it was caused by another fish.catfish don't have teeth as such so does that eliminate cats?there doesn't seem to be enough damage to suggest a pike,and,would a pike give up the ghost long before three hours?

preston96

Reaction score
no......not a pike. A 100lb one fanged Zander! :wh

Last edited:

Bob Roberts

Reaction score
I think the break in the skin is simply wear and tear over three hours, Will.

You can see from the reddish grip marks at the anal and pectoral fins that whatever grabbed the barbel didn't have teeth in the bottom jaw which points pretty much conclusively to a catfish.

Or the eel from hell!

Last edited:

johnnyfby

Reaction score
Great article Bob, really enjoyed the read, What an epic battle.

the indifferent crucian

Reaction score
I read that with absolute fascination, Bob. I did briefly wonder about a stroppy and determined salmon, or an early sea-run trout but I feel sure there would be different damage and that such a fish would not 'hang on' having only attacked out of anger.

I can only guess at a catfish. A big one.

I'm sure we've all watched the old episodes of Total Fishing where Luke 'Catweasel' Moffatt used builders gloves to avoid the damage from those mouth pads, occasionaly still getting a graze from them.

I'm amazed the poor barbel wasn't torn to shreds and I'd guess that is a fine testament to your careful playing of the fish ( and a strong hook:wh)

I guess we'll never know for sure, but that's my best guess.

How's the old shoulders now?

Perhaps the Angling Trust will spring for a session with a Swedish massueuse?