River nene In peterborough

fisherman no2

Reaction score
Hi i fish the bluebell lakes complex in peterborough and i fish the river when it is open, jus wonderd if any vody has fished it and what they target it for and baits etc.., what is the perdominent species etc.. thanks alot for your help guys

Neneman Nick

Reaction score
theres a bit of everything in that stretch.
personally i`d fish it using a roving approach,fishing with maggots,casters,hemp etc...keep ringing the changes until you find the bait they want and preferred way of presenting it.it might pay to fish over a few days and do some prebaiting because i know there is a good head of bream there as well but i think they tend to get caught in the stretch that runs past the inlet for the creek.
i`m sure that bluebell lakes has a website as well...try taking a look,as it might be more helpful.
i`ve always fancied a bash at the river there....maybe this summer i`ll have a go.

Y

yoggy

The stretch you mention,surprisingly is very under fished,naturally most fishermen head for the lakes in search of the big carp,although carp do reside in the river!![although harder to catch!!]The river itself is a lovely stretch to fish as stated it has a healthy head of bream as well as roach dace perch tench etc..i personally like to go for the chub using the roving approach,they exceed to over the 5lb mark which is a good fish in anybodys book!!,feel free to email me if you fancy a day out sometime..regards yoggy.

fisherman no2

Reaction score
well i usually quivertip and i hardly seem to get any big fish atall i dotn mind wat species jus would like to bag up or get a good head of fish, i use maggots and swettcorn.
In the coming weeks i am investing into buy a margin pole about 7.5 meters would i do better on this etc.. thank guys

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay

I know that stretch of the Nene reasonably well.

I have fished spots upstream of the area and would say that there are some good chub there.

If I were you I would dump your maggots and get a farmhouse loaf of bread. Fish breadfalke and crust on as link leger under the trees and other chubby looking spots. And fish into the evening on the shallow stretches.

Big chub have a tendency to leave their normal daytime haunts and range over the shallow gravelly stretches as the light fades. A few bits of mashed bread hook samples and your baited hook waiting for them often does the trick.

Neneman Nick

Reaction score
yoggy,totally agree that the stretch is very much underfished. have you had any joy on willow creek at the complex???
it looks very chubby and perchy in places and i`ve fished it several times both in matches and pleasure sessions but its always fished a load of old pants!!!
i`m definately gonna give the river a try this season and possibly do a couple of night sessions there.
maybee see you there???

Y

yoggy

Nick,i"ve had some good as well as bad days!!,as a general rule of thumb,conditions permitting,i usually just use a simple link ledger method,with baits ranging from sweetcorn,maggot,worm,breadflake etc..the latter two giving me greater success with the chub.Dusk along the bank is far more productive than during the day,although i"ve had some nice roach[up to 2lb] during extremley bright conditions.Further up-stream from willow i"ve had reasonable success trotting a stick float...great fun!!!...but as you stated i"ve also had days that have been pants!!!!.It"s still a lovely stretch of river as is a few miles downstream at Elton,you should give it a go sometime?,,there is also some good river piking to be had there...let me know next time you go..regards yoggy.

fisherman no2

Reaction score
Any tips then lads, for quivertipping, best swim and how far out, a lil help :p lol thank guys
jus write what ya know

C

Chub King

No. 2. You would probably be better off getting an Oundle ticket (?20-ish) that will give you plenty of water to go at. You can do nights now too. Loads of big chub, big perch, a few surprise barbel. Loads of big carp up to 37lb-plus (last year) assuming no one has nicked them! No guarantee there then! Mentioning no names! Thieving bar stewards!