Not Again

jcp01

Reaction score
For me, it's a fish of a lifetime

It's the fish of your lifetime, Ray, plus mine and every angler who ever lived in England!

The Irish fish is not my record, nor is any carp after Yates's fifty. Some things stay forever etched in the collective psyche, hence the press interest two decades gone.

Ray Daywalker Clarke

Reaction score
Rufus,

Do you or any members really think that the statement from the Press is correct, because I just can't see it that way myself.

I think I know what you mean regarding the Irish Roach, many have said the same, but the fact is, that the BRFC say it is a true Roach, and therefor the Record. In my mind, that makes it the fish to be beaten and the Iconic fish etc etc.

noknot

Reaction score
It's the fish of your lifetime, Ray, plus mine and every angler who ever lived in England!

The Irish fish is not my record, nor is any carp after Yates's fifty. Some things stay forever etched in the collective psyche, hence the press interest two decades gone.
Let me understand this clearly, so Yates 50 from a farm pond, can compare with Mary from Wrasbury, are you having a laugh or what, or do you have no idea about "real" Carp angling?

Ray Daywalker Clarke

Reaction score
Let me understand this clearly, so Yates 50 from a farm pond, can compare with Mary from Wrasbury, are you having a laugh or what, or do you have no idea about "real" Carp angling?

Dont ever recall mary getting over 50lb, I fished Wraysbury up until the end of 2008. Nice water, some very good fish, but without any very big fish it isn't the place it used to be

I fished it for the Tench, not the Carp.

S

Scott Whatmore

''real'' carp angling .. some things are memorable moments in fishing history... and some aren't.

Steve Pope

Reaction score
Ray,

some things are memorable moments in fishing history... and some aren't.

Scott's words sum it up.

Your photo is an iconic image and will always be used when this sort of subject appears, as I said earlier thats just how it is.

This is an interesting subject, images that stay in your mind are not always of the biggest fish, far more to it than that.

Over the recent years there have been so many pictures like that that they just don't register anymore unless they have shall we say the X Factor!

Be proud Ray, your capture will be remembered long after we have all gone and you can't say that about all the records.

preston96

Reaction score
I have to say it, and i have said it before........record fish should be reported, they are a part of angling history.......the angler is not.

When we are all gone, it will be the fish that is remembered, not us.

Ray Daywalker Clarke

Reaction score
Thanks Steve.

Paul,
To a point your right, but you cant have a record fish without the angler, so the angler to that point is important. For some they want the press etc etc, i dont, thats why i think i should have been informed.

As Steve has said, i will have to live with it, but if it ever happens again, the press wont get to know, thats for sure. It will be angling history, as it will be in the BRFC List.

S

Scott Whatmore

I agree with you Paul, a record should be reported. But it is up to the captor whether they take any personal publicity or not.

I must have had blinkers on my computer because I only found out recently that it was 'Our Ray' that held the roach record. Now that I know, does that mean I look at Ray any differently? Of course it does!

Not only does he have a red barnet, now I know he has golden balls too LOL

Ray Roberts

Reaction score
Ray, you caught a fish anyone would be proud to have caught and they put it in the papers occasionally, it's not so bad, is it?

At least you've not been caught dogging like the bald bloke from east enders, or bashing one out on the internet, like Dirty Den. Now having that appear in the paper every time your name's mentioned really would be a problem. Bl00dy great big roach, nah, no problem.

jcp01

Reaction score

Of course I do. Real carp angling is when a man in a floppy hat stalks a carp with freelined corn, hooks and lands it with the hand me down rod used to land the previous all time best. With due respect, it is you who has things topsy turvy...

How can I explain this. With roach perhaps? There is real roach angling and wrong roach angling. The distinction is clear with roach in that it's not what you catch but how you catch it that really matters. When a new record roach is finally caught with your "real" carp angling tactics, helicopter self-hook rigs that is and a bite that comes in the night whilst the 'captor' sleeps, a scenario that is likely to be played out within the next year or so, then I for one will finally ditch the BRCF system as unfit for purpose as it recognises only the gross weight of a fish caught by any means possible and not the weight of the significance of capture and I'll just set my own list of worthy captures, and for my own purposes.

And Mary, was a boy...

---------- Post added at 11:26 ---------- Previous post was at 11:12 ----------

Ray, the reason I cannot recognise the Irish fish as my record is that it comes from an entirely separate landmass with a river and inland water system that roach are an alien species in. The interbreeding problem is massive over there too. A French fish is as likely to get my confidence as an Irish one.

Fred Blake

Reaction score
Of course I do. Real carp angling is when a man in a floppy hat stalks a carp with freelined corn, hooks and lands it with the hand me down rod used to land the previous all time best. With due respect, it is you who has things topsy turvy...

I kind of agree with the sentiment - the carp record gets broken every other week these days (or so it seems) but to those of us who were trying to catch the things before the great carp explosion happened, Yates' capture stands as the pinnacle of carp fishing stories, and always will. There will be other great catches made, and anglers thrust into the limelight, but the magic of those few minutes on 16th June 1980 will never fade.

However, the rod used was not the same as Walker used to catch the previous record; it was a MkIV Avon built by Walker for someone else, and the orginal owner's nephew passed it to Yates in 1977, in exchange for a new glass rod.

Nevertheless, it was one man, one rod, one fish - truly an iconic capture.

jcp01

Reaction score
However, the rod used was not the same as Walker used to catch the previous record...

No, but for the purposes of the great story it's a shame it wasn't and I was convinced ever since the story broke all that time ago now when I was a boy carper struggling to put any bloody carp of any size on the bank, that it was!

The press have a rule that you don't check the details of a great story that lands on your desk before running ahead with publication for fear of finding out that the truth, being usually duller than fiction, is a spoiler.

Gav Barbus

Reaction score
Ray stop being so modest!! it was a smashing fish and your salt of the earth .
Is AT merely copying whats on here of course they are because its the most up to date info you can get really .

Philip

Reaction score
Of course I do. Real carp angling is when a man in a floppy hat stalks a carp with freelined corn, hooks and lands it with the hand me down rod used to land the previous all time best. With due respect, it is you who has things topsy turvy... How can I explain this. With roach perhaps? There is real roach angling and wrong roach angling. The distinction is clear with roach in that it's not what you catch but how you catch it that really matters. When a new record roach is finally caught with your "real" carp angling tactics, helicopter self-hook rigs that is and a bite that comes in the night whilst the 'captor' sleeps, a scenario that is likely to be played out within the next year or so, then I for one will finally ditch the BRCF system as unfit for purpose as it recognises only the gross weight of a fish caught by any means possible and not the weight of the significance of capture and I'll just set my own list of worthy captures, and for my own purposes. And Mary, was a boy...

I can’t agree with that at all although I suspect you may be angling for a bite...

A record fish is a record fish and the means of capture is irrelevant as long as its within the boundaries of accepted angling practice. If your going to start discounting fish or not recognizing fish because they were caught on “Carp tactics” then were do you want to draw the line….should we discount any record unless its caught on a trotted float ?

As for Chris Yates capture it was indeed a momentous fish but I suspect Yates way with words also played a big part in the making of the story. Terry Hearns capture of Mary from Wraysbury at the new record weight runs it close in terms of significant historical captures in my opinion.

However in terms of technical difficulty of capture I put Hearns fish a country mile ahead of Yates fish....

Last edited: