Not Again

Alan Tyler

Reaction score
Yates' way with words? Are we talking about the article in which he mentioned his wellies by their brand name so many times that even so naive and trusting a simpleton as I could smell a sponsored "Advertorial" a mile off and never trusted angling's printed media again?

Philip

Reaction score
Alan, I was actually talking about the numerous books he has had published. I can't comment on the blatant plugging you mention but I think he is quite a good story teller and I suspect more than an element of his rose tinted take on reality came into play in his account of the capture of the 51 pounder.

Nothing wrong with that of course..fishing stories about whoppers and the ones that got away are all part of the fun..

Alan Tyler

Reaction score
I confess, when he's on song, he's unbeatable. But that article...I can't remember which mag it was in; but it was years before I could read him again! The thin end of the Hayes/Taylor wedge, which I understand continues to broaden; I've given up buying the mags to check.

A

alan whittington

Well fellas,when you read magazine articles today,most are a blatant advertorial for their sponsors,ive just read this months CAT and a major contributor has written such an article,good,interesting article,wonder how much difference the products make in reference to the angler's undoubted knowledge and ability.

Fred Blake

Reaction score
I confess, when he's on song, he's unbeatable. But that article...I can't remember which mag it was in; but it was years before I could read him again! The thin end of the Hayes/Taylor wedge, which I understand continues to broaden; I've given up buying the mags to check.

I think it was in the September 1980 issue of 'Angling'. Front cover photo of CY with the Bishop, and four page article inside about the capture. I believe he got a free pair of wellies out of it, courtesy of Uniroyal.

Then again, Hardy gave him a pair of carbon carp rods, which he only ever used for bass spinning.

To go back to the significance issue, I agree that Terry Hearn's capture of Mary was technically more difficult, but since when has that been a measure of significance? Yates captured more than just a big Redmire carp on that day; he caught the imagination of every coarse angler. That he used such simple methods doesn't devalue the achievement or the significance; quite the reverse, as it meant it seemed within the capabilities of anyone with a rod and line to emulate him - if only they could find a fish big enough.

The fact that so many people can still recall every detail of an event that took place thirty years ago is testimony to a combination of Yates' excellent descriptive writing and the importance of the capture. It is part of our collective angling consciousness. I doubt very many non-carp anglers have read 'In Pursuit Of The Largest' and are familiar with the Mary story.

Perhaps Yates should have tried to run some rabbits over?

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
Were 'Peter & Paul' also carp...................

...where do these names come from and when did this trend to name fish begin?

As for Mr Yates,well as far as I'm concerned he deserves all he gets and if this includes the odd freebie(or lots of freebies!) then good luck to him(I'm pretty damn sure that most of us in similar circumstances would gladly accept them as well!).Over the years he must've spent a fortune in persuit of big fish-far,far more than most of would spend simply because most would not be prepared to give up everything else(even if we wanted to)to achieve those goals.

His books are great reading and like few others he manages to get you onto the bank and live the experience with him-perfect for winter evenings with a decent pint....

Perhaps I misread some posters but I do get the feeling that 'sour grapes' creeps into their thinking............a sort of jealousy,perhaps??Personally I admire people who forge ahead and do different things and try to make a difference....leaders and not followers are what they are and they get my vote every time!!
Would I like to write a book-absolutely!Will I write a book-I very much doubt it!!.....BUT I love those who do!!!

God bless our great fishing authors who have given me,and still give me so much pleasure......Sheringham(my own favourite),Walker,Stone,Gibbinson,Yates et al.....even John Wilson has sturned out some good stuff and very readable..

I've just finished reading the original(complete & unabridged version)'Robinson Crusoe' by Daniel Defoe....very difficult reading because of the old english but a facinating book and so much more than Mr Crusoe and Man Friday.........

Philip

Reaction score
To go back to the significance issue, I agree that Terry Hearn's capture of Mary was technically more difficult, but since when has that been a measure of significance? Yates captured more than just a big Redmire carp on that day; he caught the imagination of every coarse angler. That he used such simple methods doesn't devalue the achievement or the significance; quite the reverse, as it meant it seemed within the capabilities of anyone with a rod and line to emulate him - if only they could find a fish big enough. The fact that so many people can still recall every detail of an event that took place thirty years ago is testimony to a combination of Yates' excellent descriptive writing and the importance of the capture. It is part of our collective angling consciousness. I doubt very many non-carp anglers have read 'In Pursuit Of The Largest' and are familiar with the Mary story. Perhaps Yates should have tried to run some rabbits over?

Terry Hearns Capture of Mary was the culmination of a series of very big fish from very hard waters for Terry Hearn at a young age. He was the rising star of Carp angling and he caught the star fish of the time at a new record weight from an incredibly difficult place at what seemed exactly the right moment to propel him to Carp fishing folklore.

I think you underestimate the significance of the capture. Perhaps it would have been diluted somewhat in the general coarse fishing fraternity bit I think (I hope) that within the Carp fishing world it was well understood just how significant a capture that was.

One very important point you don’t mention about Yates capture was that, yes he used simple methods which you comment seemed within the capabilities of anyone with a rod and line to emulate him - if only they could find a fish big enough…. What you fail to mention however was that he also had access to what was at that time basically a private closed shop of a water 3 acres in size with a 50 pound Carp in it. I think he was also on a rota with just 1 or 2 other anglers for a week (something like that anyway)

Terry Hearns capture was from a water open to all with RMC…albeit with a waiting list.

Whether Hearns capture was more significant that Yates capture of the Bishop I guess is a subjective question and everyone will have their own view on that.

Finally you also ask how many non Carp anglers have read in pursuit of the largest ? …Well I could ask how many new anglers under the age of 30 have read Casting at the Sun or even know who Chris Yates is ?

….things move on.

PS for Tee Cee the fish was called Mary after a fiery girl friend of a previous captor ;)

Last edited:

904_cannon

Reaction score
Durham City, Co Durham ... STILL The Land of The P
Blame me Ray, I pointed out it was almost 20 years to the day on another thread after a couple were having 'a go' at you.
As I said then, belated congratulations :)

And what happened to your campaign to have only 'in season' fish recognised and accepted as a National Record'? I'd still support that.(along with other things from the recent past which history appears to have been ditched and lost)

Last edited:

Ray Daywalker Clarke

Reaction score
John,

I dont know what other thread you are talking about, sorry.

When all year fishing started on still waters, I was then all for the closed season to stay for all waters.

To me then, the waters and wildlife needed a rest, and i thought it only right that fish caught in the season should be on the record list.

Now my views have changed.

I now think all waters should be open all year, if not, then close all waters as before, there is nothing to say the rivers will suffer from staying open, and the still waters have shown no harm comes to the fish when fishing during the old closed season.

All,

As for giving fish a name, how sad that is.

Ray Daywalker Clarke

Reaction score
I don't worry about Ray Roberts, his is allowed his opinion's like all of use.

I changed my mind regarding the closed season after missing out by not fishing, but it took about 5 years.

Hope you change your socks more than that John..............:eek::D

Ray Daywalker Clarke

Reaction score
I am sure that Ray Clarke knows that it's just a bit of ribbing and there was nothing malicious intended in what I posted.

Mr Roberts,

I know there was nothing malicious in what you posted, and no offence was taken Ray, just as there was nothing malicious in my post regarding your opinions, it's good to have a bit of ribbing now and then.

thx1138

Reaction score
In response to the original post..

when I was a young lad, my mum got me a book on fishing for christmas. I cant remember what it was called, but I read that book every night before I went to bed for years. My favourite page was the 'record fish list'. As a result, there are images, names and numbers that are etched on my mind...

Some bloke called Phil Gooriah with a tench that looked like it had swallowed a football; a bloke with a beard in a floppy hat holding a carp from Redmire pool that was 10 times bigger than anything in the pond where I fished; pictures of captures from 'Queensford lagoon' where men would fish for a season to catch a single, huge bream.
The thing I remember about all of these fish is that they were the biggest caught at the time, and it was only time before bigger fish, probably from the same venues (probably the same fish) were caught and the records beaten.

The one record that really sticks out most in my mind though was a chap called Clarke who caught a roach so big that they thought it would never be beaten. Regardless of what happened since, those words are the stuff boys dreams are made of.

The fish is legendary.

A

alan whittington

There you go Ray,take a bow,we are all reading this thread,chanting 'we are not worthy'.:wh:wh:D
I feel most anglers,certainly of my generation can only applaud the skills(for fish of this size rarely give themselves up,unless on a boilie,yuk)and good fortune of the angler when catching such an exceptional fish,so mate,there lies the crux,if you could chat to **** Walker,you may feel the presence that 'clarissa' gave him and i feel made him a very confident,all knowing person.:w