disposing of maggots

Marvin Village

Reaction score
i went for an evening session the other night, took 2 pints of maggots and didn't use a single one its was corn all the way.
what do i do with 2 pints of 'spare' maggots?
surely its not good just to chuck em in.......or is it ?????

Robbie H

Reaction score
Chuck em in for next time. Keeps the swim baited up. Or freeze them and use em dead next time.
Decisions, decisions, its what fishings all about.

W

Warren 'Hatrick' (Wol) Gaunt

Freeze em and use them at a later date.

D

Danny Lancaster

I tend to either offer them to people at the fishery or take them home and leave them with the lid open overnight on the lawn for the birds and other wildlife to have a go at.

J

jason fisher

pour them through the letter box of a neighbour you don't like at 2 in the morning.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Marvin,

Choices, choices, choices:

1. Turn them to caster and use them, or freeze as noted above.

2. Offer them to any juniors on the bank.

3. Or, do as I do and fish with Mark or Andy, or Nigel or Jeff and you never have that problem :-0)

And if all else fails then I think Jason made the best alternative suggestion.

Milo

Reaction score
Freezer, or riddle off the sawdust/maize and leave them in the fridge to turn to casters if fishing in the week (don't forget about them!)

P

Phil Hackett 2

Put them in the bait fridge, they?ll keep for at least two weeks on a very low temperature. Use the next time you go out as feeder maggots in conjunction with half a pint of fresh maggots as hookers. Fridged maggots as they get older lose some of their size before they get ready to pupate.

If turning to caster, add a teaspoon of water to each pint, it makes the caster swell according to the matchmen up north.

N

Nigel Connor(ACA ,SAA)

Pters right.I havn't bought any bait for 3 seasons!

Freeze them definately but check with the good lady & makes sure the lid is on!

Marvin Village

Reaction score
would i be right in saying that putting them outside in a coolbox (with no ice packs - whoops!!!) unitl they got so warm and sweaty that the climbed out of the bait box up the sides of the coolbox and somehow out of the lid onto the patio to great my good lady yesterday morning was the wrong thing to do ?????????
considering i don't mind either of my neighbours, i have absolutley no chance of sneaking them in the freezer but do have quite a few birds in the garden, the lawn bird feast option is probably the one i will go for from now on

J

jason fisher

haaa haaaa haaaaaa. similar thing happened to me when i was about 10, my mam went mad and we had flies hatching in the down stairs privy for months after.

Neneman Nick

Reaction score
put em through your next door neighbours letter box at 2 in the morning......lol jason.
trouble is,she knows i go fishing and i`d be fingered straight away....instead i`ve gotta bottle of rod hutchinsons monster crab flavouring reserved for that pleasure.the nasty old tit witch and her scumbag family will be wretching for weeks.i`ve even gotta a bottle reserved for the heating system of her daughters car....he he he he he he

C

Chub King

Chuck then in over gravel and they'll keep fish rooting in the swim for days. Otherwise freeze the little beggars for later. I must have over a gallon of deads in my freezer at the moment just waiting for me to do a long session somewhere.

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay

Chuck them in the car and let them hatch out.

When the car thieves see what's inside your car they will leave it alone.

Believe me this is true.

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay

Or get hold of a skull, a plastic imitation will do.

Put the maggots in a bowl with the skull and leave it on the doorstep of someone you don't like.

With a note saying: "Here's your granny, I've just dug her up."