River Stour

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
Posted on behalf of Rob Thomas, who put this in the Venues section (before he read the instructions) and before I deleted it. But we'll forgive him being as he's new. Welcome Rob, and apologies for deleting your first post to the forum, but the only posts allowed on the venues section are those where the fields are filled in.
<HR>
"Let me begin by saying hi everyone i'm Rob from Christchurch i've never posted on this forum before & this is my 1st time on this forum. My question is does anybody live in the Dorset area & have any idea how the river Stour is fishing at the moment as i'm thinking of doing a session down there this weekend & would appreciate a form report if anybody has any info???tight lines all :)"

Bill Maitland

Reaction score
Ring Davis tackle in Christchurch, they should have an idea, they will also be able to give you the Throop bailiffs number.

The Stour used to be hard going the first few weeks of the season and can be heavily fished.

D

David Bumblebee

I'm back fishing alright - just concentrating on the carp and tench on the lakes.

The Stour is currently very weedy, exceptionally so. The flow is low for the time of year but because of the weed the level is high. I hope this makes sense. Once the weed dies back in August, it will be very low unless it becomes a very wet summer. I have walked several stretches but only fished it once. There are few fish to be seen due to the high level/amount of weed, though I have seen the biggest chub I've ever seen near Wimborne as well as plenty of small ones and some roach. Some decent barbel are coming out of Throop.

Perhaps Rob needs to explain where he's hoping to fish? But isn't the beauty of river fishing the uncertainly of not not knowing what might be around?

W

Wolfman Woody

"But isn't the beauty of river fishing the uncertainly of not not knowing what might be around?"

Never a truer word spoken, Prof. Wait 'til you see my next episode!!!

Hugh Goldsmith

Reaction score
Hey guys i can tell you that throop is fishing well! i have had 4 sessions up there and i have had:

2 double figure carp to 15lb
2 5lb+ chub to 5lb 13oz plus one of 4lb 8oz
2 4lb+ tench
1 small pike
And my first barbel of a mighty 4lb 15oz! :)

But yeah beat 2 is fishing pretty well and you cant go too far wrong fishing over either a bed of pellets or hemp and fish either a 14mm pellet or boilie over the top.

Hugh

Reaction score
The Throop has its own website with updates and fishing reports. if their prices are too high or it is too crowded (likely at weekend)there is a free stretch nearby at Muscliffe. (Off A35 take A3060 towards Muscliffe. At third roundabout turn right to end of road, park at rec ground) Can't wait go back later in summer. Sorry can't do hyperlink thing....

http://www.throopfishery.co.uk/

Tight Lines

Rob Thomas

Reaction score
Anybody had much luck on the free stretch up at Muscliffe? theres loads of chub in there as i've seen them but having a hells teeth of a job of catching them, tried touch legering with luncheon meat on a small weight but bites are very slight & patchy at best. Will try again in a week or 2 now the weeds died back a bit. Fancy getting a pair of waders on & trotting a stick float down next time!seen some lovely pike in there too towards the ringwood section.Tight lines all :)

Steve Spiller

Reaction score
Rob,
Try Source boilies 15m/m on a link ledger, with flourocarbon line.
Fishery Manager Chris Allport will give you a full report, 07789 408503.

Good luck.

Steve.