Tench rod and reels

dan5044

Reaction score
Hi there, i am new to the forum.
I am wondering if anyone could recommend a good tench rod and reel.I will be mostly fishing local drains and pits which are weedy with a float. They have a good head of large tench and a few carp to about 25lb.
Thanks Dan

Mark Hewitt

Reaction score
Hello mate,

Welcome.

Do you have a price limit, that will make alot of difference regarding recomendations?

chav professor

Reaction score
Hi Dan

I'd use an Avon style rod personally as it is versatile and can turn its hand to most styles of specimen fishing - including carp using balance tackle (max 8lb line). I've got a now very old John wilson one and a B James Mk4 avon in split cane. Reel wise, any small fixed spool or centrepin - Its a preference thing.

Price wise - if I was to replace my rods cos they got smashed in the car door or stolen - i would probably look at purchasing one of the J W Young Avon rods. I've seen them on Ebay for as little as £50 new!

I don't know what others think, there are rods designed specifically for tench, but i've alwasys found they weren't to fussed.:)

Reaction score
Welcome Dan

Chav's advice is really sound... if you are going for the larger tench and want something that could hold a fairish carp then look at a rod with a powerfloat or similar name..they should do the job...
however since you have mentioned its weedy you may need to beef it up to the sort of 1.75lb test curve rods - like the korum neoterics...it really does depend on your budget....look at Shakespeare..a lot of the folk on here rave about them and they are very reasonably priced.

Poshers

Ray Daywalker Clarke

Reaction score
Welcome to FM Dan,

It's all down to your cost's and what Rod you want, ie, 13ft Float Rod, 12ft Avon etc etc, as for reels, again it's cost, and with so many on the market, i would go with nothing bigger than a 3000 size reel.

I fish a couple of waters that sound very much like yours. When float fishing for the Tench, it's a 13ft float Rod and I use a pin on one, and a Mitchell Match on the other. Sometimes the fish are at distance, and with all the weed, I use Harrison's 1.75tc rods, the reels are Diawa in the spool size of 4000, not baitrunners.

dan5044

Reaction score
Hi there, i have looked at avon rods and drennan tench rods. There are so many different avon rods on the market its hard to find 1 that is good. I have seen lots in tackle shops and on ebay. I am looking at spending about £60-80 on the rod and £30-£50 on a reel. I love the sound of a centrepin but not sure if a fixed spool would be better

captainbarnacles

Reaction score
At your price range i would prob go for the John wilson avon Quiver ebay £50 And the reel prob start with a fixed spool , will suit you for close in and distance then you can get a pin later, I use the maver reactolite 13' float rod match 1 with a pin a reactolite match 2 with a mitchel match and a greys prodigy barbel 1.75 test with fixed spool 4000. Maver do a powerlight now in your price range might suit you but with jw you get a quiver as well for a bit of feeder fishing best of both worlds.

Last edited:

dan5044

Reaction score
Hi,
Thanks for the info i have read alot of different reviews about the new JW rods some bad some good. I have been offered a drennan tench rod mk 4 is that any good. My aim the next season is to get a double figure tench out of my local drain.

Keith M

Reaction score
Hi,
I have been offered a drennan tench rod mk 4 is that any good. My aim the next season is to get a double figure tench out of my local drain.
If you have been offered a MKIV Drennan Tench float rod then your in luck as they are good rods.

I have a 13ft Drennan MKIV Tench float rod which apart from using it for decent sized Tench I've also been using for trotting for Barbel on my local stream this season and it has been excellent, it is rated for lines (both mono and braid) of up to 8lb.

Last edited:

dan5044

Reaction score
Thanks for letting me know they are good rods. They are the only rod i have read 100% good reviews about. I have also been looking at greys avon style rod.

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
I also use the Drennan Tench Float rod Mk 4 and it does what it says on the can!

Plenty of power in the middle section and in many ways a bit of an all-rounder.....the tip is fine and I've used it for quiver tipping at a push without problems.

As I've said in other posts the top section is very thin and you must think about how to protect it if you use a general purpose rod holdall-sliding it in and out(where it can rub against other rods)can easily break the top as I know to my cost!!

Otherwise a good rod IMHO

Good luck,whatever you choose-and may all your tench be big ones!!

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
chubberbob.............that must be your shortest post to date!

I cannot believe thats all you have to say on the matter............(smiley thing here!!)

dan5044

Reaction score
Thanks everyone for the reply, the only down side of the drennan tench rod is that it is 3 piece, i would prefer a 2 piece for keeping set up. I am also wondering if a small baitrunner might be a good idea.

baldie1

Reaction score
Tench Rods

Hi Dan,

I have the Shimano Purist Tench Rod, beautiful rod to fish with, and through action to deal with heavy lunges from big fish. Bit more expensive though but an old adage " Quality is remembered long after price is forgotten"

Dave

dan5044

Reaction score
Hi there, thanks for the tips, i might save up for the shimano tench rod or drennan tench rod. they both sound really good. I have a shimano match rod that is 15years old and it is still a light excellent rod. Never owned a drennan rod but they have good write up.