Kryston Silkworm-what are the alternatives?

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
I have,for a long time,used Silkworm in various breaking strains.

Generally speaking it has never let me down and I don't have a problem with it is low B.S. but I find the 10lb stuff seems to suffer from separation of the fibres when tying hook lengths when any roughness of skin seems to catch and pull the fibre strands.Why this should be I don't know and I don't rule out that MAYBE I'M DOING SOMETHING WRONG!

I don't keep up with every new product that comes onto the market so I would like to know what others use and recommend as an alternative to Silkworm.

Many of the swims I fish are heavily snagged so something with good abrasion resistant qualities would be a bonus....

Thanks for your help!

klik2change

Reaction score
Hiya Tee Cee. I am a confirmed Kryston user too, but I do like to investigate some new ideas. One I have tried and found I like very much is the Korda coated braid. They make a stiff and a soft version. Both seem to be a lot thinner than the Kryston coated braids. The soft version lends a completely new dimension to legering in my opinion, for what that's worth... the soft one really is soft - it feels like it's coated in soft rubber.

Bluenose

Reaction score
Have a look at Kryston Jackal too lads. I forget the details but am sure the diameter is far far less than braids of similar strength.

Reaction score
Better watch it Bluenose or they'll start thinking we're on commission!!!! Got to say a good number of anglers who I respect are raving about Jackal.

(....brown envelope. usual place please Uncle Dave) :D:wh:wh

Morespiders

Reaction score
I have,for a long time,used Silkworm in various breaking strains.

Generally speaking it has never let me down and I don't have a problem with it is low B.S. but I find the 10lb stuff seems to suffer from separation of the fibres when tying hook lengths when any roughness of skin seems to catch and pull the fibre strands.Why this should be I don't know and I don't rule out that MAYBE I'M DOING SOMETHING WRONG!

I don't keep up with every new product that comes onto the market so I would like to know what others use and recommend as an alternative to Silkworm.

Many of the swims I fish are heavily snagged so something with good abrasion resistant qualities would be a bonus....

Thanks for your help!
Tee Cee, wetting it with spit will help greatly, also keeping your fingers wet with spit.

Just get your missus to do the rough jobs, thats what their for, your hands should be smooth and silky:D

The bad one

Reaction score
If you want the toughest of the tough from Kryston, then it has to be for me Super Matis. I've used it on the Ribble for over 5 years grinding it on the rocks in floods 2 metre high and It's never let me down. Nor have I ever had a hooklink go on me when its got snagged the mainline always goes first.

Shame no one does a mainline with the same properties.

Well that's the product plugging over for Uncle Dave :D

Now what's this Jackal he's doing and is he going to send me some for a real testing ;)

Last edited: