Swale at Morton

Bill Ling

Reaction score
I'm off to the Swale at Morton tomorrow (the day ticket stretch). Never been before, so has anybody got any tips re decent areas for barbel there or best methods?

Cheers,

Bill

J

john ledger

Bill
I have fished it a lot on the Bradford water and at times it flatters to deceive.
Obviously you will need the cover of the willows to give youself a chance with the river being low.There are some good chub and barbel on the whole length but might i suggest Cundall Hall Farm which is also day ticket.Craikehill weir and below it on this strech offers very good fishing if you can get the cover just below on the willows.
I have taken some excellent bags of chub and barbel trotting under the willows and feeding heavy,just remember its hit and hold so step up the tackle

Bill Ling

Reaction score
Just got back from my hols, so apologies for my late reply.

Went to Morton and fished the stretch near the farm where you park next to the farm and walk across a field.

When I arrived I was stunned to find how shallow and clear the water was and it was hardly moving at all.

I walked about 100yds downstream from a small wooded area on the far bank and found some deeper water at the end of a shallow, streamy section. There were plenty of trees hanging over into the water and frankly it screamed barbel, so I was feeling quite confident.

I used maggot feeder on one rod and open-end groundbait/hemp feeder with meat on the other, casting close to the far bank cover. Unfortunately I had no bites at all on meat and just a string of chublet on maggot. I tried trotting caster with hemp/caster loosefeed, but again just managed small chub.

By 1 O'Clock I decided it was time for a walk to try to spot some fish as the highlight of my day had been watching jet fighters screaming overhead.

About 100yds further downstream I spotted half a dozen large chub in a streamy run and several longer dark shapes drifting in and out from some far bank cover. After watching for a while it was clear they were barbel and one of them looked close to double figures, so I hastily moved my gear!

I tried the swimfeeder approach one one rod and trotted casters with the other rod and first trot down I managed a chub of about 2lbs. Thereafter the fish became very cagey and I managed only a few more small chub to trotted casters.

The swimfeeder rod stayed motionless, so I tried a new technique for me - trundling meat. Several times I had a few nive barbel in the swim and edged a piece of meat in front of them, but not once did they respond to it or any small freebies I flicked their way.

With about an hour to go before I had to leave I tried trooting right in under the tree hanging over the far bank and finally hooked a barbel. Unfortunately the 4lb line wasn't up to the job and the line parted after about 20 seconds. :-(

I tried stepping up to 10lb line, but the fish were obviously aware of the line in the clear conditions and spooked from it several times, so I ended up blanking as far as barbel are concerned.

I was surprised how poor the fish responded to meat, but I'm convinced that in better, less clear conditions this stretch could be productive. The walk to get to it is a bit of a pain with a lot of gear, but you're unlikely to be competing for swims down there - I saw nobody all day and no other cars were parked at the farm.

gregors

Reaction score
Hi I'm just about to go and fish in Morton on swale and would like to have any advise if u can? Know that's rivers are a bit high but I now there is a chance to get nice day out on the river :) any advise ?

andreagrispi

Reaction score
I saw a bloke get over 100lb of chub last March, he was flicking his feeder right under the overhanging trees on the far bank - pinpoint casting!!

The chub run to over 6lb - there is a match on this Saturday.

jimlad

Reaction score
If you get them feeding on the stick there you could be in for a bumper catch of chub.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

trotter2

Reaction score
Take plenty of bait if your fishing the stick 50lb of chub can eat some loose feed, be warned.

andreagrispi

Reaction score
Fished this stretch today, couldn't find the chub but caught grayling and a surprise sea trout of 3lb 1oz, also lost another slightly smaller at the net.

I am amazed that they are still in the river late in February.

Fantastic scrap of both - they leaped out of the water repeatedly.

broomy

Reaction score
One quiver tip rod and reel 6lb line straight through, few light ledger weights and hooks in your pocket. Cheese paste and a loaf of bread. Light weight chair, rod rest and net. Fish every likely spot and ones that don't. Give each swim 20 to 30 mins, no bites move. Chub are the target, barble are quite hard to interest at this time of year, but catchable on 8mm pellets. So far this winter 20 chub over the 5lb mark, mostly from the Tees and a few off the Swale at Morton. Best 6lb from the Tees last Tuesday.
Good luck, I am off to the Tees tomorrow.

jimlad

Reaction score
20 chub from the tees over 5lb is exceptional.

broomy

Reaction score
I really don't believe it myself. I am retired and get out at least twice a week. So I do fish a lot. Normally in winter I fish upriver for grayling. But levels have been so high its been a no go area.
Considering the hundreds of hours spent after barble during the summer with very little response from chub. I was under the impression they had all either died of old age or been ottered out.
However by watching the river levels and going out when it was dropping I have had a reasonable measure of success.
Some days I have only had one best outing seven.
But the size has been amazing.
When you get a chub in the net and struggle to get your hand around it to unhook its a good un. The span of my left hand is nearly eight inches and a lot of them this winter have been that size.
Last Tuesday I landed the biggest yet at just on 6lb (lost a bigger one a few weeks ago when it snagged me close in. Got it in the net then got the net caught and it came out, disaster. At least 7 and possibly bigger).
Where these fish have been hiding I just dont know.
But when you consider just how much of the Tees is unfished and unfishable due to bankside growth. There are a lot of places for fish of any specie to never see a hook bait.
There are crayfish in the river and these must be having an effect on fish size.

jimlad

Reaction score
I fish the tees most weekends, but it is limited to Sundays so I have to grin and bear the conditions. It seems every weekend there's a flood.

I'm a member of pretty much most of the clubs on the tees, and I'm one of those who tries to tackle the out of reach places where long walks are required. It's a fabulous river, massive perch, very good pike fishing, big grayling (and lots of them). I've had a fair few 4lb chub, but you'll have to teach me your methods and pegs!!! There seems to be a good head of 3s and 4s so those results are right up there.

I tend to rove, 30 mins in each peg.

Not seen a single crayfish on the tees yet. Certainly not the problems that they get on more southern rivers.

Pm me all your secrets!! (Just kidding)

broomy

Reaction score
I fish the tees most weekends, but it is limited to Sundays so I have to grin and bear the conditions. It seems every weekend there's a flood.

I'm a member of pretty much most of the clubs on the tees, and I'm one of those who tries to tackle the out of reach places where long walks are required. It's a fabulous river, massive perch, very good pike fishing, big grayling (and lots of them). I've had a fair few 4lb chub, but you'll have to teach me your methods and pegs!!! There seems to be a good head of 3s and 4s so those results are right up there.

I tend to rove, 30 mins in each peg.

Not seen a single crayfish on the tees yet. Certainly not the problems that they get on more southern rivers.

Pm me all your secrets!! (Just kidding)

Only got four today, lots of bites but usual chub problem of not being able to hook them.
Strange what I did hook were all in the back of the throat.
All between 3 and 4lb
There are lots of crayfish on the Tees.
Gainford area bits of dead ones can be seen on the river bank.
The otter droppings are made up of crayfish.
Actually watched a big otter eating them one evening up at Gainford.
Summer using boilies on the lower river, leave a boilie out too long and its gone.
This happened to me on numerous occasions while fishing the NYSD pegs!!