onlinus adfinitus

Steve Hall

Reaction score
In anglers mail this week theres a description of an internet fisherman who uses the net instead of getting out on the bank, c'mon lads who admits there an onlinus adfinitus?
reading some of the discussions on here i sometimes think do some of fishing magics members get out at all!!
well ive gotta go now the missus is getting up for work and i deserve a good long rest after having a night session on the net with nothing to show for it apart from blurry eyes!!
cheers lads.

Sam Morris

Reaction score
I get out alot when schools out but the rest of the time unless, i can get on a weekend or after school, i must admit i'm on here...or playing football or various other things.

F

Feeling tranquil

Steve I think the truth is that a lot of us for differing reasons can't be on the bank as much as we like (work, family etc etc). But if during some spare time at home or even dare I say it at work (which is where I am now) then being online talking to other anglers (many of them vastly experienced, very well respected and knowledgable) talking about fishing then it wins out over most other activities.

Steve Hall

Reaction score
quite right mate, im in the same boat not getting out as much as id like for the excact reasons you mentioned so this is as near as you can get until the weekend comes,
all the best.

P

Phil Hackett PCPL with Pride

What I think is naffing AM off is the fact that the Internet is so fast moving and can pick up on stories long before they can get it in print. Effectively they have lost their power and feel threatened by it.

Over a season I probably get out more than any of the journalists who write for it, but still find time to visit the web and this site most nights of the week.

It?s somewhat ironic don?t you think that they?ve come up with this title for angling surfers, because to make that statement, they have had to spend time on the web to research the story.

Now what?s the word?

oh yeh Hypocrisy!

Jason Briggs

Reaction score
I too can't get out as often as I would like because of work and family. I have only been using FM for a couple of weeks now but have found it more useful than any magazine, firstly you are dealing with experienced anglers all over the country, secondly it gives novices like me the chance to discuss tips, tactics and topics that are relevant to their fishing as opposed to ones that the magazine feels will appeal to its readers.

Beecy

Reaction score
I, like jason have only been using this site a few weeks and as he says it is more useful than any magazine.

PH has a good point, AM will feel threatend by sites such as this where people can actualy discuss issues between themselves rather than reading (often) biased and one sided articles in magazines.

I would imagine I am the same as 99% of users of this site, I get out fishing most weekends and when I am not on the bank the second best thing is talking/reading about it. Also like most, i am writing this sat at my desk when I should have started doing a bit of work 20 minutes ago!

Mark Wintle

Reaction score
It's not only AM; I've noticed one or two writers in the mags having a go at the Internet. They don't like criticism, and somehow thing that only articles on paper have any merit.

Time to wake up - this is future and they'd better get used to it!

Beecy

Reaction score
Actually paulio you could argue I am working. I have a section of my job definition " ongoing familiarisation and improvement of computerised systems" !

Gary Newman

Reaction score
Phil Hackett,
Being one of the journalists myself who works for Angler's Mail and that you claim hardly go fishing at all I'd be interested in just how often you get out fishing as I've been known to do a fair bit myself.
The piece in the magazine that you are having a go at is supposed to be a bit of light hearted fun looking at the various stereotypes within angling, which is how most others on this thread seem to have taken it.
Not trying to start a row as i don't even know who you are, just pointing out a couple of things.

Paul H

Reaction score
Derbyshire: best beer, best cheese, best puddings.
I couldn't make that claim unfortunatly.

If anyone ever checks the server logs then I'm possibly scr#wed.

Doubt it though, I only come on when I'm not on the phone. (Being on the phone is what they employ me to do) so it's not like I'm skiving.

I have aquired so much more relevant information and tips of this website than any magazine I've ever bought.

I subscribed to IYCF last christmas and wish I hadn't now. I hardly bother reading it recently. Every month they tell you how to tie a hair rig, mix groundbait and how to shot a tench float rig. Bored of it.

Admit it was useful to me as a beginner for about 3 editions but F.M has easily outgunned it since then.

Andy S

Reaction score
I agree you can't beat FM for killing those dull hours at work stuck behind your desk. I still feel theirs a good place for magazines however, or at least until I can access the internet whilst sat on the bog ;)

Speaking of magazines the only magazine I subscribe to now is Coarse Fisherman which is brilliant and is it a coincidence that its linked to this website, both quality products? After all not all websites are that good in fact most are crap. So cheers Graham et al for two quality products.

Beecy

Reaction score
The only mag I buy is Angling Star, a very good paper and only 90p - again a lot of the people using this site are involved.

I doubt if it is available country wide however as it is a subsiduary publication of Sheffield Newspapers - other FM users will probably be able to give more info.

Paul H

Reaction score
Derbyshire: best beer, best cheese, best puddings.
I have heard many good things about Coarse Fisherman and my friend swears by it. It will be my next subscription I think.

Magazines do have a place still you're right but by their very nature they can't compete with the speed and ease of information sharing offered by the internet.

They should concentrate on quality articles about fishing rather than thinly disguised bait and tackle promotions. Quality free gifts would not go amiss either :0)

I have not seen it myself but moaning and decrying fishing web sites is not going to boost their sales, proactive not reactive.

Having said that I'd love to work for a fishing magazine or website instead of my current internment.

Steve Hall

Reaction score
hello lads, i started this forum for a bit of a laugh, i found the picture and definition in anglers mail quite good but thought oh no im becoming one of them, but no i enjoy everything about fishing including all the weeklies and monthlys and while the missus is watching all the soaps its a great chance too get on this site which is very helpful and quite humorous at times, i fish at least twice a week and unfortunately i cant use the net at work so when im not fishing its probrably the next best thing!!
David Beecroft, i get the angling star in leicester but not sure how many other places around the country get it.
Gary Newman, was anglers mail expecting a discussion on the subject of onlinus adfinitus because i might be wrong but ive not noticed youve posted until now?
Keep up the good work with anglers mail and lets all stick together as we all love fishing whether thats reading a mag or on the net or better still getting out there and catching a few with the spotlight on angling becoming more intense we need too.
cheers lads, all the best.

D

David Marrs

I have to say, I stopped buying the mags as I found if they weren't trying to tell you how to tie hair rigs for Carp, they simply talked bollocks or courted controversy in order to sell copies.

I much prefer using FM and other such websites, mainly in order to converse with other normal anglers such as myself who can tell you exactly how it really is! In addition to this, no one really feels the need to talk crap in order to sell issues.

Nah, the internet is a lot better and is almost instant! I'll stick with it and leave the mags well alone!