Centre Pin Reels

bakieboy

Reaction score
Can anybone recommend a decent, reasonably priced, centrepin reel?

chubby48

Reaction score
centerpin

i was very---very lucky i got a good leeds one for a tenner at car boot the woman did not no what she was selling

chav professor

Reaction score
Try something like a rapidex or trudex. these are a few years old now - but still work very well. you can pick up a good example for around £50 on e-bay.

Has anyone tried one of those zen master reels. look good for 20 quid.
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j8uKB8gAU1M&feature=player_embedded]YouTube - Zen Master Centre Pin Fishing Reel in Silver - Oiled[/ame]

thx1138

Reaction score
If you dont mind going old-skool, then get a rapidex / trudex off Ebay. They are great reels and do the job fine. If you want brand new, then Okuma is probably the best cheap, reliable option.

Keith M

Reaction score
Spend £300-plus if you want to but for a no-nonsense centrepin for trotting a light float downstream the 'OKUMA Sheffield' or 'Aventa Pro' does the job equally well. They are both excellent.

If you get hooked (like me) you'll probably end up with a few different pins anyway in the end.

Last edited:

nick dv

Reaction score
A couple of years ago I purchased a second hand, but never used Youngs Purist for £70, so take all of the above advice and then shop around the i/net, local ads, tackle shops, and mags etc. I'm sure you'll find something, and when you start using it, you'll wonder why you ever bothered with a fixed spool reel ;)

Cheers, Nick:)

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
A couple of years ago I purchased a second hand, but never used Youngs Purist for £70, so take all of the above advice and then shop around the i/net, local ads, tackle shops, and mags etc. I'm sure you'll find something, and when you start using it, you'll wonder why you ever bothered with a fixed spool reel ;)

Cheers, Nick:)

Funny how no one ever seems to mention the Youngs Purist and yet it's probably better than any of the okumas and most of the other pins out there. I have two purists and they are a classic designed on the Allcocks match aerial. They make them in several sizes and widths and are one of my favourite pins as are all the Youngs range.

George387

Reaction score
cant disagree with you there tigger I have 2 myself and apart from when I use the speedia these would be my 1st choice as a general working reel, havent let me down yet.

iain

Reaction score
have a few pins,look on ebay for a good conditioned speedia,great trotting reels!!

nick dv

Reaction score
Funny how no one ever seems to mention the Youngs Purist and yet it's probably better than any of the okumas and most of the other pins out there. I have two purists and they are a classic designed on the Allcocks match aerial. They make them in several sizes and widths and are one of my favourite pins as are all the Youngs range.

I love mine. It's only the 4" model, but for the money I wasn't going to turn it down, and it's a fantastic reel.

Cheers, Nick :)

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
I've got half a dozen good pins. For trotting a river its my Greys Bewick or Okuma Sheffield. On a lake the Purist every time simply because its that bit more solid.It was my first proper pin and I love it to bits.Great reel.

For sheer value the Dragon Marco Cortesi takes some beating & I'm not surprised they've sold out.

Andrew Macfarlane

Reaction score
A few pinheads on AnglersNet bought the Zenmaster reel and it's supposed to be very good. the cheap that makes it asked for further advice on how to improve the reel and various suggestions and colours were given. It might be better now than the first couple of incarnations.

Ray Daywalker Clarke

Reaction score
The problem with the Zen is it dosen't run very well, if your fishing a river with fast pace, it's Ok, but in slower water the line doesn't get pulled of the pin, so you have to flick the drum to let line off.

Very light, and if it was smoother, would be a very good reel for the price.

bakieboy

Reaction score
Thanks for all the advice. Next what rod would you recomend. I in tend to tro for roach,dace etc. I have a light tip actioned match rod - would this do?

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Thanks for all the advice. Next what rod would you recomend. I in tend to tro for roach,dace etc. I have a light tip actioned match rod - would this do?

A normark microlite, the best of the best :D

George387

Reaction score
have to disagree there tigger the old drennan drx 16ft cant be beaten...lol, well now I have refurbished my cane rod it can its sat in its rack for the rest of the season..:)

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
have to disagree there tigger the old drennan drx 16ft cant be beaten...lol, well now I have refurbished my cane rod it can its sat in its rack for the rest of the season..:)

Mmm....microlite 13 to 15ft ...titan 13 to 15ft, or Daiwa Tournamet 13 to 15ft :)
I'm a fan of drennan rods and one of my favourites from their stable for trotting is my im9 14ft but still not a patch on the normarks :D

I think you'll soon get fed up using an old stick for a rod George, save it for summer and shuv it in the greenhouse where it belongs :wh;)