Warning - Ron Thomson Barbel Rod

J

Jack Pike

I bought the wife a Thompson 1.75lb tc quiver rod earlier this year its a Ok rod for the price but the reel fitting keeps jamming. Fishing on a big Northern river last week I set up identical termimal tackle a big swim feeder I casted mine out first oops nearly hit the opposite bank effortless then casted the Ron Thompson rod I could,nt believe the difference it was like casting a stick of jelly. Anyway I bought a nice rod off Dave Lumb last week for the wife that just needs christening.

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay

Phil,

I certainly do not slag off ALL rods form the far east. Rods like Drennan and the Sulis range from Harrison are top class, as are some of the Daiwa rods.

I am told that the Harrison Factory in Liverpool just do not have the capacity to make all the rods their customers want.

There are a couple of factories in South Korea that put together some remarkable blanks. They supply both Drennan and Harrison.

W

Wolfman Woody

Blunderer,

You bought the rod off a dealer, he is the person you exchanged money with therefore he is liable for the faulty product. That's the law.

I think it's Svendsen Sports UK Ltd. who import the Ron Thompson range and they may be willing to help if you get no joy from the dealer. Email: uk@svendsen-sport.com or call 029 2071 3820

Could just be a batch of faulty resin used on that rod. They had a nice little review in CF this month.

Blunderer

Reaction score
Further development:
I took it back yesterday. the shop owner was initially a bit reticent. He said "Well, if you were chucking out those 4oz watch leads I sold you on Saturday it would break" I pointed out that a) it was 10lb line therefore the rod broke with LESS THAN 10lb force.
b) It was a feeder
c) I used the watch leads on a Fox 1.5lb t/c rod all day without a problem.

They took the rod away and offered my either a replacement or a different rod - my choice.

Sorted, I think

W

Wolfman Woody

Shouldn't have been any quibbling anyway.

"Goods not suitable for the purpose for which they were intended."

steve pearson

Reaction score
bought some shimano beastmaster allrounders for ?70 each money well spent 12ft 1 3/4lb cast 2oz miles,been fishing 3oz and pva bags on them for short range stuff,had pand barbel to just under 12 from the trent would recommend these to anyone for the money.

J

john conway

I think we have covered this ground before re test curves. You can have the same test curve for two quite different action rods and each action will have different casting abilities and also the way you cast with then.
If you search back though the archives, find the one re the development of the FM concept rod it should make interesting reading again. I think it had something to do with Ron complaining about the ?poncy? way some anglers hold their rods when playing big fish. Or maybe someone?s who?s not had as much red wine as me and can paste a hyper link to it. Even though I?ve got the formula for the pasting of such, I can never get it right and I use computers day in and day out in my job, but the logic of inserting of hyper links on FM completely baffles me.
I only own two Harrison rods and you get what you pay for, quality!

steve pearson

Reaction score
i think its just a made up name like "J R Hartly" 100% sure it is look at me get proved wrong.

Merv Harrison

Reaction score
The only reference I could find to a 'record' holder, is Ron Thompson who caught the first 100lb conger eel, (102lb), off Cornwall in 1974, wonder if this is the man.

M

madpiker

my local tackle dealer has told me that fox rods are made from shakespeare blanks.
i bought a fox boat master rod recently,it has the same blank matting pattern as the leeda 2xl boat rod and the ron thompson jerkbait rod that are both for sale in the local shop.
i would think that most companies get their cheaper rods(under ?100) from the same far east factories,the just have them in different colours (and prices!)
i had a leeda 2xl 12lb class carbon composite rod last year,(i`ve let someone else have it now)when i got back into boat fishing,it has exactly the same blank as a ron thompson lure rod and i managed to boat congers of around 25lbs and 30lbs with no problems,but then i do use the clutch properly.i would think that those rods which have both broken in the same place have come from a faulty batch.

fred hall

Reaction score
I wasn't able to comment on the Ron Thompson barbel rod until yesterday when I was chatting to an angler who was using one. Whilst we talked his rodtip went round and an impressively short time later I was delighted to witness a 12lb barbel for him. Biggest barbel I've ever seen, magnificent fish. That Ron Thompson rod was certainly up to the task.

Blunderer

Reaction score
On the basis of your comments, Fred, I may take another one and give it the benefit of the doubt. I am due to visit the shop this week.

K

Kevin Perkins

I have recently bought two Ron Thompson 2 3/4lb rods and curiously the butt sections have a diamond pattern wrap all the way along the blank, but the tip sections don't.....

K

Kevin Perkins

I have recently bought two Ron Thompson 2 3/4lb rods and curiously the butt sections have a diamond pattern wrap all the way along the blank, but the tip sections don't.....Perhaps I should brace myself for the dulcet tones of splintering carbon with my next 200 yard cast....

Bryan Baron 2

Reaction score
Kevin. My Greys prodigys have the same pattern as yours. I think its just a carbon wrap to give extra stiffnes to the but section.

M

madpiker

i have a 10ft lure rod of 3lb test curve that also has a diamond wrap on the butt section only.so i would guess that bryans` theory is spot on.