deciding what to fish for

Darren George

Reaction score
Does anyone else have trouble deciding what to go for?

I like to fish campaigns as I find I can learn more about the given species and so get more out of the water.

Trouble is, living in worcester, its so hard to not fish for barbel! What generally happens is I fish for barbel on the 16th to celebrate the new season opening. Then I fish for them a bit more as they give good sport. Then I carry on fishing for them as they start to get a bit bigger. Then I get a big fish and end up going back for more...

If I fish for other species I cant shake the feeling Im missing out on big barbel.

Does anyone else get that - with barbel or whatever species? If not, how do you discipline yourself?

D

Deecy

I let the weather guide me in winter, too cold for Barbel go Chub/Pike/Grayling fishing, river up and coloured - Barbel. Fining down Roach or Perch.In summer if I can fish evenings only it will be Barbel or Chub on the river or if early only lakes for Tench or Carp.I spent too long as a younger man chasing fish that just were not feeding.Only downside is you end up with more rods than a golfer has clubs and it does help to have seperate tackle boxes for each type of fishing that way you avoid leaving necessities at home.

C

christian tyroll

i would like to say i think about which fish will be feeding due to the conditions but i dont!

i always end up fishing for whatever i have a particular interest in at the time!

this is normally decided by a article or thread on FM or a recent capture in a magazine! so i probably dont make the most of my time at all!

S

Stuart Harvey

setting targets of what to catch might help you try for other species. at the start of this season i wanted a pb tench, a 3lb+ perch and six pound chub. fished for the tench first. caught plenty but not the pb. that will have to wait for next year. now currently fishing for perch until the rivers flood then i'll start on the chub.

Alan Tyler

Reaction score
My tackle's in such a hopeless mess from trying to sort it into boxes that I took a despairing look and dragged the clan off to see "The Curse of the Were-Rabbit". Must try harder. (Good family film, though).

Darren George

Reaction score
Yeh the targets thing is a good idea. I got my barbel target but get the feeling Ive only scratched the surface and that there could well be a monster lurking.

Ill be chasing a big chub come december, but in the meantime, its either roach or barbel.....decisions decisions!

Matty C

Reaction score
I like to think Ive always taken weather conditions into account when targetting a spacific fish, but its also down to what I fancy at the time.. this season so far has been devoted to chubbing.. the clear water with the odd spat of rain has meant Ive been able to catch good numbers of chub about 6 inches from the top.. Although, now its getting colder and there has been some rain, theyve switched off for a bit, so the next target it pike, with possibly a big perch, or a carp, carrying on into the winter, along with more chub and roach, then it might well be a barbel campaign at the end of the season..

Point being, I think all seasons have their key fish, and although youre always going to get the one fish people fishing for carp all year round, for example, Ive always considered an "accomplished" angler to be on that has a good CV if you like of many fish, and many techniques..

I agree with you in that you always have that feeling of what if I was barbel fishing in your case, but you got to think about all the huge perch or roach or pike that could be lurking there for when your not barbel fishing.. I would say a 3lb perch or a 2lb roach, a 20lb river pike or a 6lb chub are just as impressive as a 10 or even 12lb barbel, but its all up to preferace..

My advice, just think about the other big fish out there, aside from barbel..

by the way.. good pic in AM Darren.. saw that this morning.. quite a fitting pic for this topic as it happens..

Darren George

Reaction score
Thanks Matt!

I used to be indecisive, now Im not so sure...

Think Ill stick at the barbel for a short while, then do roach till the new year, then chub till the season closes :eek:)

Cant take my mind off a dirty great barbel though...!

cheers Matt, all the best, DG

Alex Clough

Reaction score
i really am having trouble deciding what to fish for can anyone give me helf. Get back to me as soon as possible. Many thanks.

Alex.

TonyStone

Reaction score
Daz, forget the barbel mate, fish for a decent fish like Pike, you know it make sense, lol

I have exactly the same problems, but I fish for pike more than anything else, I normally alwyas have a pike rods with me, just in case.

Im going barbel fishing on tuesday, and am purposfully not taking a pike rod with so i can concentrate on one of my 2 goals for this year, one is a River Thames Barbel the other a Thames 20lb pike!!! Now where did I put them pike rods, I mean barbel rods!!!!

J

jason fisher

a 20 from the thames mmmmm i managed not to catch a 20 from the thames for 6 years mate

TonyStone

Reaction score
I have been trying for a few years, but decided I would try extra hard this year.

I know its gonna be hard, but there are fish there, I just gotta find them. Had them to 11lb so far this season, and had plenty of jacks.

J

jason fisher

i had em to 19lb 14oz but never did get a 20, i lost 2 in one year but never did land one.

Darren George

Reaction score
My best pike was a 17 from the severn, which has satisfied my toothy urges for a decade or three! Not a huge fan myself.

Gonna go after the lower severn roach for a while I think, then chase a 6lb teme chub.

matt

Reaction score
I get the urge to fish for a species then get tunnel vision, whatever the weather conditions. The fact that all my tackle is in such a heap that it takes me half a day to sort out any tackle, other than the gear for the species im after, helps to keep me focused!