Angling literature

andreagrispi

Reaction score
Whats the most you have paid for an angling book.

My top costs are:-

Rainbows end - Phil Smith-----------Justified
Big chub and roach - J.Etherington-------------Justified
Book of the perch - Perch fishers & No need to lie - R. Walker-----Justified

chav professor

Reaction score
Top costs are:

Deepening pool & Casting at the sun - Yates, justified!

Red letter days - tribute to bernard venables, Justified!

An Open creel - Sheringham, justified!

just too many good books being published at the moment, my bank balance can't keep up - however, my top recent buys have been Chevin by the CSG, Chalk stream roach by Searl, and for a bit of controversy, Pike Fishing on the Norfolk broads by Derrick Amies - A great tribute (or expression of devotion) to Dennis Pye...... Got to buy 'em quick. If I had the power of hindsight I would buy more than one copy of each book - they fetch silly money once out of print - but thats not my style:(

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
I've never paid a lot of money for a book. If I want to read it then I'm not really bothered what edition it is,how its bound or [to a degree] what condition its in. I wont pay silly money just because its collectable or because somebody says its a classic. I've read a few so called classics that I thought were very ordinary.

I am a nostalgic old sod so I do like to read about times past...be that books written then or modern books written about how things were way back.

There are 2 books I dont have that I want....both published by Medlar

Grayling...but I am damned if I will pay £100
The Float...I'll have this one day but I still think its a lot of money.

Medlar do some good titles but not every one lives up to my expectations.

Tunny : Bought on a whim I thoroughly enjoyed.
A Can of Worms : I found this disappointing

I feel no particular attachment to a book once read. If it has some special significance to me I'll keep it but if not I'll happily sell it if its fetching silly money or I need the space & cash more than the book.

Last edited:

dezza

Reaction score
The most I have ever paid for a book is £135.00 for the half leather "Richard Walker, Biography of an Angling Legend" by Barrie Rickards. I also have the ordinary cloth back 1st edition which I gave away.

I love old angling books and just might pay £100 plus for a first edition of "Redmire Pool" by Len Arbury and Kevin Clifford.

The Walker book, if any come on the market will sell at more than 3 times the original price, depending on the condition. The leather covered version of "Our Days with ****", has sold out at £175.00. But the finish on this volume is superb, a work of art and an example of the finest English bookbinder's craft. Is it worth £175.00? Yes and it's a far better investment than leaving your money in a bank account.

You will more than double your money in a years time make no mistake about that. This is why limited edition and old classic books are commanding such high prices these days.

bigchub

Reaction score
Found a first edition of Andy Orme's Barbel Mania in a second hand book shop a few weeks ago for £40. Was tempted to buy it but somehow couldn't justify spending that much on a book.

dezza

Reaction score
There are two ways of looking at the purchase of a book.

1: You want it for the content and nothing more. If this is the case there are many paper back and non-first edition books around you can pick up on Ebay and Amazon for very low prices.

2: You want it as an investment. Here you must look very carefully at the condition of the book, wether it a first edition, whether it is signed by the author, and the age. Limited editions in special bindings are excellent investments. For example I acquired a signed first day cover of Harry Plunkett Green's "Where The Bright Water's Meet", in 1973 for the equivalent of £3.00. I sold it in 1989 to pay for a return air ticket to England!

But there are many people around who are far more expert when it comes to old angling books than me.

I am pleased that the book: "Red Letter Days" which I paid £10 for in 1997 is now fetching £65.00 on Ebay. Mine is signed my most of the contributers.

Oh and by the way if you ever approach an author for a signature, don't ask him/her to write a message. If you do you will de-value the book. Just a simple signature is all that is required.

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
I gave away a signed 1st edition of" the secret Carp" by Chris Yates:eek:

That must be worth a bit now?:(

Maybe...but what a dreary book. Casting at the Sun & The Deepening Pool were terrific but nothing of Yates I've read since got close to those two.

Most paid ? £20 for a splendid copy of Bickerdyke's "Book of the All Round Angler" . I've paid more for a newly published book but that's the most I've paid second hand but I buy books to read not just to own.

dezza

Reaction score
First edition signed, "Casting at the Sun" will probably at the right auction fetch in excess of £1,000, depending on the condition. "Casting at the Sun" is arguably Yates best work. I've been looking for a first edition for some time now, but when I have found one the price has been prohibitive.

With interest rates being so low and the fact that people are selling books and antiques off, people with a few bob to their names are starting to invest in classic books and other antiques. In 5 years you can often get a far better return for your money than any bank can give you.

I buy books both to read and to own. I picked up a first edition of "Stillwater Angling" the other day published by Macgibbon & Kee for only £30.00. It lacked the dust cover which would make the book worth £100.00 plus.

Lord Paul of Sheffield

Reaction score
The trouble with colecting 1st editions they are only worth what someoen is willign to pay

years back I had a good few collectors item of vynil LP - rare albums, coloured vynil, picture dics ect - when I tried to sell them - the bands had fallen from popular demand and I got very little for them - some I couldn't even sell as a bilk item

chav professor

Reaction score
Medlar do reprints of a lot of classic reprints. If just reading the book and being absorbed in the atmosphere (well that is the point of a book after all) probably worth checking those out - especially with the originols comanding 3 figure sums.

I am thinking about buying Chris yates river diaries and carp diary books - the reprints - any comments about there worth as reading material would be appreciated.

I may actually enjoy reading them as well!!! Collecting books does appeal to the anorak within for me. I tell my wife I must buy 'it' it will be worth a fortune one day - but as she regularly reminds me, I am never going to sell them............................

One of my favourite all time fishing book reads is Rod in Hand by C V Hancock - if you can find a copy- buy it - Charming, evocotive, humorous - lovely. I think I paid about £15 from one of the big book dealers.

---------- Post added at 01:08 ---------- Previous post was at 01:06 ----------

Booooks
my precious.........

---------- Post added at 01:09 ---------- Previous post was at 01:08 ----------

http://i1131.photobucket.com/albums/m543/chavprofessor/bookcollection007.jpg

---------- Post added at 01:12 ---------- Previous post was at 01:09 ----------

bookcollection007.jpg

---------- Post added at 01:13 ---------- Previous post was at 01:12 ----------

bookcollection007.jpg

I can post a picture, I can post a picture, I can post a picture, la la la la

Mark Wintle

Reaction score
Strangely, the Medlar reprint of Casting at the Sun is now worth more than the original. At one time the price of the first editions soared to around £200-£250 but that flushed plenty out so that you can get a good copy for under £100.

One or two rarities now on 'print on demand' like J W Martin's Roach, Rudd and Bream Fishing, which is otherwise so are you'll be lucky to ever see one.

chav professor

Reaction score
Strangely, the Medlar reprint of Casting at the Sun is now worth more than the original. At one time the price of the first editions soared to around £200-£250 but that flushed plenty out so that you can get a good copy for under £100.

One or two rarities now on 'print on demand' like J W Martin's Roach, Rudd and Bream Fishing, which is otherwise so are you'll be lucky to ever see one.

Got it Mark - Centre shelf, middle. I bought it becuase it was a hell of a lot cheaper!!!!!! lol:D had no idea

chav professor

Reaction score
sorry Ron, as I posted earlier 'I tell my wife I must buy 'it' it will be worth a fortune one day - but as she regularly reminds me, I am never going to sell them............................' I think the Medlar reprint bound in cloth cost ne about £45 so it never was cheap - I'll have to buy two of every thing and sell one, but thatt aint the way I roll - Just destined to be poor sadly!!:eek:

mark halsey

Reaction score
I got stacks of angling books.

I got a 1st Edition of Bullers "Pike" with d/wrapper from an antique shop - £4 (they had no idea of it's real value).

I always wanted Favourite Swims by FJ and finally managed to borrow a mint copy with d/wrapper - to read and had to return it.... :(

I read a super little book t'other day - The Incomplete Angler by Deindorfer - an American fishing Waltons rivers - aided by Walker, D Carr, A Braddock etc - the writer gently takes the pee out of the people he meets......especially the Britishness. The bit about Archie Braddock is hilarious.

I enjoyed (and have copies) of the 2 recent Walker tributes.

Rgds

Mark