Fishing information please

PTnymph

Reaction score
I am looking for some information about fishing at Compton Verney and I will be appreciated if anyone can help.

I have tried in the Google search but got some information but not lot.

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA-Life Member)

I fished there quite a lot during the period 1995 to 1998.

The fishing was held by a local club and you paid a day ticket on the bank. It's a very pretty water - an old estate lake built by pick and shovel over 200 years ago. Actually there are two lakes, a small one and the big lake which I fished most of the time.

The large lake contains tench, bream a few roach and there are tales of big eels and pike. The tench are not big, I had nothing much above 5lbs and most of the other anglers there fared no better.

The lakes are also full of jacks. I did quite a lot of pike fishing there yet never had anything over about 6lbs.

The lake is famous, first of all because it was fished quite a lot in the 50s by **** Walker and BB (Denys Watkins Pitchford).

Secondly John Sidley spent weeks on this water after the big eels it is supposed to contain.

Hope this helps.

Alan Tyler

Reaction score
It gets a mention in BB's "Fisherman's Bedside Book" - something about the River Dene having had superb trout before it was polluted. As they've had some 70 years to sort it out, it might be worth a sniff...

P

paul williams 2

Ron is sock on!.....i too tried it years ago and caught only jacks....but things can change and my imfo is at least 20yrs old.

Bob S

Reaction score
I believe Stratford ran the fishing there about three years ago but I don't think they do now.
Anyone any idea who does?

Robbie H

Reaction score
I think its a syndicate water now gents. I was in contact with the lady organising the renovation a few years back but have lost her contact details, sorry.
I used to live in Wellesbourne and fished it regularly, and caught some nice tench and pike. Used to sit in the tree's watching the pike.
The lake opposite called Park Farm is worth ago. It was fishable via day ticket but due to kids messing around the farmer stopped fishing. But apparently if you phone him he still lets the odd angler on. Some very large pike in there and bream.
The river Dene holds some nice chub now after the EA re-stocked it a number of years ago. This was after Walton Hall polluted it. Try towards Hampton Lucy were it meets the Avon. Have seen some 5-6lb+ chub in the river running through Charlecote Park. But as usual I had no tackle with me.
Also try the lake at Walton Water Mill. Some lovely roach, chub, carp and tench in there. Think its ?3 a day. Should come up on a google search. The owner is very friendly. Also a farm feed supplier on site which is always good for cheap bulk seeds.

Hope this helps.

Robbie H

Reaction score
Opps forgot to say: the lakes at Compton were both designed by Capability Brown. (not sure if coerrect spelling)