River Wey, Pyrford. Day ticket fishing?

liger

Reaction score
The stretch I am looking at is from Nework Lock, up past the Pyrford Golf Club ending in the Anchor Pub. I know it used to be club managed but after some research it seems they no longer control this stretch.

So I went to my local tackle shop and they are unsure but they seem to remember hearing that its free fishing?

I am not really bothered if its free just dont want to spend the close season walking it to find out its a club water that requires membership fees to fish it.

Anyone fish that stretch?

Thanks for reading.

cg74

Reaction score
Liger, I can't recall the actual stretch in question but the 'free stretch' runs from the sewage treatment works to the M25 (about 4-500yrds). Once at M25 bridge, if no signs declaring the stretches status regards fishing rights, just keep going...:)

Hope this helps a bit.

Hugh Bailey 2

Reaction score
The Wey Navigation canal goes from Newark Lock to Pyrford Lock - I think this is no longer managed as they could not find bayliffs for it - it's owned by the National Trust.

The River Wey (just east of the canal) from Newark to the next road bridge I'm not certain about, but I'm fairly sure that from that bridge onwards is either closed to angling or club waters ( including the bit CG mentions above).

geoffmaynard

Content Editor
Reaction score
Ask Jeff Woodhouse on a PM in case he misses this post - I believe a club he is involved with has just taken this stretch

the indifferent crucian

Reaction score
I don't think this covers quite the stretch you were asking about...

Guildford Angling Society

But it seems to have been superceded by this, which mentions no running water.....

Wix.com - Website built by gummygray based on Blank Website

It's not immediately clear which is the up to date site. I have often looked at the miriad of lakes and waterways between Guildford and the M25, North of the A3 ,and marvelled at how much there is there..some of it pretty hard to access, which makes it all the more interesting.

When I think of all the fish that Godalming Angling Society have put in the Wey over the years...this is where I reckon most of them are!

Hugh Bailey 2

Reaction score
FAO Liger

If you want, I can probably wangle a guest ticket on the water Just above / below the M25 - it would be nice to see how someone else fishes it.

Windy

Reaction score
If you want, I can probably wangle a guest ticket on the water Just above / below the M25 - it would be nice to see how someone else fishes it.

That doesn't help to answer the original question very much, and which interests me greatly as local and interested in possibly fishing it.
Whose fishing is it ?
If anyone's.
And if so who to purchase day tickets from, when and where ?
If you are to wangle a day ticket then from whom do you intend to wangle it ?

liger

Reaction score
That's very nice of you to offer Hugh, especially to someone over the internet.

I had a meander down the canal part and then down the River from the Anchor Pub. The stretches of the River opposite the Walsham Lock look fantastic.

It was sign posted Private Fishing Byfleet AC. I can not seem to find any contact information for them though.

Thanks for posting chaps.

liger

Reaction score
Lets see if I can add an image of the place I am on about -

Attachments

• fishing place.jpg
    fishing place.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 634

the indifferent crucian

Reaction score
I can't open that picture...I can't do google Earth links either. I shall try and find this Anchor Pub!
This might be the contact for Byfleet...

The Woking & District Angling Association and the Byfleet Angling Association (0208 86440067) between them control much of the river from Old Woking to Weybridge. RMC Angling (Cemex Angling) (01932 583630) manage a 550 yd (500m) stretch of the river near Addlestone.

And this might cover some of it too...

The Wey Navigation Angling Amalgamation (01932 859252) operate from New Inn at Send through to Papercourt, and from Walsham Gates to Thames Lock. And at the historic confluence with the Thames the Weybridge Angling Society (01932 242978) has access.

Incidentally, I got the information from this site, one of the very best of it's kind.......

http://www.weyriver.co.uk/theriver/index.htm

Edit:

Well I got well and truly lost! I never found The Anchor and it turns out I was circling the wrong golf course too! Who would have thought that Pyrford and Pyrford village were different places?

I did find the ruins of Newark Abbey and the Northernmost of the three rivers there is Woking and District Angling. It might be worth asking in Goldsworthy Angling in Woking for more information.

I see that South of the golf course that The Anchor is 'in', is a fishing lake with pegs and a small car park.

Edit:

No, it's not Woking District...their stretch of the Wey ends at Ripley....

http://www.wadaa.co.uk/

Last edited:

Hugh Bailey 2

Reaction score
I don't think WDAA or the other clubs who have stretches on the river from Newark to Brooklands allow day tickets on the river. Cemex have a stretch after Brooklands - you may be able to get daily tickets for here

The canal was managed by the WNAA as you mention but this lapsed due to lack of bayliffs as your link points out - it has reverted to being owner by the NT. It is probably OK to fish all of this ( from Newark right thru to Weybridge) as day tickets used to be issued on the bank - there was certainly a match today on the section at White Hart bridge in New Haw.