best carp fishing tips

stilen

Reaction score
Hi friends to improve your carp fishing follow these tips
Tip 1. Choosing a suitable carp water
Tip 2. You don't need to spend a fortune on tackle but you need to spend a bit!
Tip 3. Get a head start on a water by spending time there and asking the right questions
Tip 4. Choosing the right bait approach
Tip 5. Learn to use a marker rod

Regards
Stilen
fly fishing
http://www.dvorakexpeditions.com

Last edited:

dannytaylor

Reaction score
OBSERVATION and STEALTH.

You cant catch what is not there. Locate your fish, your eyes are best for this, leave the marker rods at home! Spend time watching and observing your quarry, introduce a bit of bait and watch there reaction, gain there confidence. Then and only then think about angling for them.

002-16.jpg

gentle

Reaction score
Be patient.
Stay warm.
Sharp hooks.
Quality bait.
Watch the water and find the fish.
Consider the effects of the weather on the water you fish.
Be quiet and stay low near the waters edge.
Talk to the regulars who catch.

Philip

Reaction score
Find a quiet spot, chuck in a ton of bait every day for a week and then fish it. Carp!

Lord Paul of Sheffield

Reaction score
my tips on carp fishing

After having a rant at an article in CF about it being boring - I've given a bit of thought to magazine articles.
I agree that there are only so many ways to write about fishing and looking at carp angling the writers could almost be accused of plagiarism the articles repeat each other so often.
So I thought I've have a go at writing a top tips list, same old tips but with a different slant.
Here goes
1) When you get to the lake don't opt for the first swim, take a walk round the lake. Dress like you are one of the 118 blokes, complete with bushy 'tash, to fool any other carp anglers into thinking you're a jogger- when you get to a swim you want to look at further take a asthma inhaler out any pretend to be getting your breath back whilst scanning the water. Also keep a look out for any discarded adult entertainment literature in the hedge bottoms.
2) Don't set up camp as soon as you get to your chosen swim, leave of your gear on the barrow and just get the rods out fishing. This means if you decide to move before nightfall you can look like a refugee from a war torn African country fleeing from the forces of a local despot as you waddle around the lake to your new swim.
Also if you need to move swim quickly to take advantage of a "hot swim" suddenly becoming available you will not look like a contestant on "It's a knockout" as you try to pack up and beat other carpers to the swim.
3) Before casting put a bait have a lead around your swim try to find a firm spot to place your bait - you want to feel the lead hit the bottom with a firm "dionk" just like a police truncheon landing on the head of a climate change protester.
4) In winter try a single bright pop up - it will attract carp by standing out like a prematanned Dale Winton in a room full of albino Scotsmen.
5) Ducks and seagulls can be a real problem when baiting up using a throwing stick due to he spin on boilies allowing the birds a second or two to sell the bait before it sinks below the water. Try baiting up after dark to stop this or simply buy half a dozen of those cheap loaves that low brand supermarkets sell, and thrown these onto the water in the margins before baiting up. The soggy white bread will fill up the birds in no time and you can bait up whilst they sleep.
A bonus to this you may see wild life in action as a crafty fox may try to snatch a sleeping gull for a meal, try to video this and out it on youtube.

noknot

Reaction score
1/ Find a water that fills your requirements, i.e. if you want 20lbs+Carp you need a water that contains them.
2/ Location, spend as much time as you can walking and looking before you even think about fishing, ask other Carp anglers "general" questions, but not direct!
3/ Keep rigs simple!
4/ Use a good fresh bait that you are confident in.
5/ do your own thing, then the effort and rewards will be your own!
6/ Look for the opposite to the norm, i.e. if the water is very silty, look for hard areas, if lots of gravel, then look for silt.
7/ SHARP HOOKS!!!
8/ Have fun and good luck!:w

quickcedo

Reaction score
Sorry I just can't resist.

Spod the Granny out of it.

Carps you gotta love em.
Once again Sorry bout that. I feel better now.

cg74

Reaction score
A FEW TIPS FOR THE BUDDING CARP ANGLER.

-Arrive early, best time being when the tench anglers have just got their fish fizzing infront of 'em and ask (shouting) if they've caught owt and sneer when told they're stalking tench.:eek:

-A good rubber mallet (wood splits and metal damages whatever you're hitting), to bang hell outta your guy pegs and must have stainless steel banksticks.;bp

-A tray of Stella per 24hrs on the bank and toss your empties into the bushes.:w

-Only select a swim that's close to the car park, why bother walking any further??;)

-Turn the volume on your bite alarms upto full, sensitivity to max and fiddle with them every hour on the hour, with an extra long play around at midnight.:confused:

-Make sure you've got a good radio reciever for your alarms (at least 250m), so you can fish-on when having a social gathering elsewhere on the lake.:j

-Get the brightest headtorch possible, once dark shine it all around the lake, paying particular attention to swims occupied by other angler (just to pee em right off) and if you think your mates one is brighter, take a 2,000,000 candles spotlight.:eek:

-If in doubt as to the whereabouts of your quarry, just spod the absolute guts out of your swim and if anyone moans about you overfeeding, point out in a very condescending manner, that even water snails and shrimps eat pellets n boilies.:p

-Leave as much litter in your swim as possible, rats are especially fond of pitta bread and vindaloo.:D

-BBQ's are an essential and disposable means bio-degradable, does it not?!!:confused:

-And whatever you, DON'T FORGET THE KITCHEN SINK!!!

Last edited:

cg74

Reaction score
OOOPs I nearly forgot, June 16th onwards run off to the nearest river that has anything like an abundance of barbelS and bang em out while they're right easy...;):D:D:wh

Last edited:

Yacko

Reaction score
 Get a comfortable well padded chair so that you can relax during those long biteless sessions
 Get a very big landing net so you at least look like you intend to land some serious fish
 Hang a carp sack up in a tree so as to mark your territory for your swim
 Take a large mallet and make as much noise as you can when setting up, this justifies your 3lb test-curve rods as you will now have to cast 100 yards to reach all the fish you scared
 Cast across the adjacent half dozen swims, this will prevent other anglers from getting too close and pinching all the fish you have attracted in the vicinity of you swim
 Even when fishing a small mixed day-fishery make sure you still set up as though doing a 3 day session ensuring your bivvy blocks the only path around the lake
 Visit the fishery a few days before you intend fishing and pile in 5kg of boilies even if someone else is trying to fish
 If you see someone else fishing, stand right behind then and waive your arms about- this should not bother them as the fish are used to seeing anglers around
 If fishing with a mate you only need one landing net as you can run it between the two of you if you are both catching
 Don’t forget to shout a running commentary to your mate on any fish you get- especially if he’s not catching
 If someone tells you they have caught four 10lb carp divide the number of fish and the weight by at least 2 and take it as two 5lbers
;) ;):j:wh
I could add a lot more but as the rest would not apply to purely carp fishing it wouldn't be fair

little oik

Reaction score
A FEW TIPS FOR THE BUDDING CARP ANGLER.

-Only select a swim that's close to the car park, why bother walking any further??;)

This also ensures any take away meals ordered get to you piping hot and on time
And do not forget spare batteries for the games console or laptop

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
And do not forget spare batteries for the games console or laptop

Laptop?

Doh, all us Serious Carp anglers use i-Pads . . . . laptops my aunt fanny, get with the tackle tart programme . . . . .

You all seem to have forgotten the invaluable Bait boat together with its echo sounder and the new GPS feature. Mine actually works . . . .. sometimes!