Chubbing

njb51

Reaction score
Fished two stretches yesterday, first one after perch on the River Mole. Moved to the second one in the evening, (Desborough cut if anyone knows it).

Now, my main concern is about the second stretch on the Thames. I was after chub using cheese paste (thanks Chub King). I blanked but have a couple of queries about the session as i think i can learn alot from this.

First of all, about the paste itself.

The consistency of the paste started off ok, it was a bit stiff put i thought that i could pull the hook through if i needed to. However, when i cast in, left it for 15 mins and reeled back in, the paste would remain on the hook, only much stiffer. I put this down to the cold water but was wondering if there was anyway of keep it soft?

Second query,

All night i was getting chubby plucks and pulls but none were hooking up. The paste was on the hook so i couldn't understand it. Was the paste too stiff as mentioned above? Was the hook (Size 6) too big? Hooklink(about 8 - 10 inches) too long?

Help!

Steve Spiller

Reaction score
Jonny, I've had the same prob when it's cold.
My only advice would be to make it much softer and don't leave it in too long.
Or try it on a very tight hair, moulded around a pellet or boilie.

njb51

Reaction score
I was think about investing in some of those korum paste springs DB. Or making my own bigger ones and keeping them tight to the hook.

Problem is though, what can i add to the paste to make it softer? Im using 50-50 Danish blue and shortcrust pastry.

Steve Spiller

Reaction score
I've used the paste springs Jonny, they are ok, my only reservation is if it broke off and got swallowed.

Don't know about making it softer, I just keep kneeding it in my left hand, which keeps it warm, whilst my right hand is poised over the rod.

L

Les Clark

DB, surely kneeding it while on the bank isn`t going to make any differents to it once in the cold water ,it will still harden up ?

Steve Spiller

Reaction score
No it won't Les, maybe it will take a few moments longer to harden and possibly give the chance of a hook up.
I would go for the hair rig, unless someone knows of a softer mix.

njb51

Reaction score
Thing is, im not sure which part of it is hardening up, whether its the pastry or the cheese. I've heard of adding small amounts of either olive or sesame oil to cheese paste. Anyone know why this is?

Paul Scowen

Reaction score
Add a bit of margarine to your mix, this will keep it soft.
Cheese paste is much talked about and highly rated but don't neglet other baits -example try a prawn with some squashed samples in a small feeder as an attractor.

L

Les Clark

Jonny ,I would have said it`s the pastry mix that`s hardening up ,cut the % down .

Steve Spiller

Reaction score
Have a look at the Cheese Paste thread in my bookmarks, margarine sounds like a top tip! (can't do links)
I will try it next time out.

njb51

Reaction score
I would have though margarine would go just as hard in the cold water too?? Will give it a go though.

Y

yoggy

I had this problem myself last year and found a solution!!,When mixing your cheesepaste,add some olive oil,this will keep your cheesepaste super-soft,but still perfect for casting etc.It also leaves an oily scent trail,which is an added bonus!!

Paul Scowen

Reaction score
Margarine is afterall designed to be 'spreadable' out of the fridge. It does work. Oils work too, but to gain the full benifit you need to start adding emulsifiers. There is a world of experimenting out there (try a garlic infused oil).Marg, however, is the easiest 'of the shelf' solution.

Y

yoggy

Paul,i did exactly that!!.I tried some extremely potent garlic oil a few weeks back,and had some very rewarding results [It makes your hands stink to high heaven,but its worth it!!!]

W

Warren 'Hatrick' (Wol) Gaunt

yes, add some marge and dont leave it too long

B

Bully

Jonny - dont get hung up about the paste getting hard. It only makes a difference if your hook is completely buried. Personally I never bury the hook using paste and always have it proud out of the side. I use cheese and pastry and never worry about it going hard.

In terms of using the Korum paste springs, again I wouldn't bother. I know people always say they have caught chub on hair rigged boilies etc, but the way they pick up a bait hair`rigging is no where near as effective, even when tight to the hook.

Sometimes you just get days when you have lots of plucks and pulls. In these instances I tend to give out some slack line and/or try bread flake.

njb51

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice guys, i will give all these ideas a go.

Another question, what effects does freezing and defrosting the paste have?

Would adding youghurt to the initial mix help make it softer? Would the 'biotic cultures' (or whatever they are) help the cheese on its way to becoming smellier?

C

Chub King

It was very cold and in such water temperatures chub will often pick up your bait but not move, only sit there with it in their mouths.
Try balancing you rig until just a touch dislodges the lead and strike off EVERY time you retrieve your rig. You'll be surprised how many time you get a hook-up doing that in really cold weather.
Margarine will keep it soft but leave the hookpoint clear (so says the Dog).

A

Andy "the Dog" Nellist (SAA) (ACA)

Make mine with 300g danish blue and 500g shortcrust. Make it in a kenwood mixer which gets air into the mix and makes it much softer even at low temperatures. I was sill casting off 1 in 4 pieces in 1C a week ago and it was almost impossible to retrieve it.

A

Andy "the Dog" Nellist (SAA) (ACA)

I'd second what Greg says about balancing the rig so that it just holds bottom and I nearly always leave my hook point and part of the bend proud of the bait