Float Rods - Preston or Greys...or Other?

mchamish

Reaction score
Hi All,

This is my first post, so I thought I'd start with an introduction;

I'm a recent 'returner' to fishing...I fished a lot from about ages 13 through to 17...and now 17 years later I've decided to take it up again.

I'm not into carp fishing or anything like that - sitting waiting for something to beep doesn't appeal to me really...and the world of fishing tackle has changed a bit in the past 20 years (why the hell are bait boats needed...and can you sink other bait boats?).

I like quite simple fishing...waggler fishing on stillwaters...trotting a float down a stream, that sort of thing. I'm not really fussed on the size of the fish really, as long as it's a fish!

So anyway...I'm looking to replace my 20year old generic match rod with something specifically for float fishing. I'm thinking two rods, something for light, balanced tackle for silver fish, small tench and crucians (but with the backbone to play a decent sized fish if it comes along) and something for decent sized tench and carp into the doubles. I'd use the more powerful one when fishing near lillies etc that might need a bit of power to steer it away.

Any way...I've a couple of options in mind...

Greys G-Tec 13' Float Rod

And;

Greys G-Tec 13' Power Float Rod

Or;

Preston Excel 13’ Float Rod

And;

Preston 13ft Competition Float Rod

I'll probably decide to get the lighter of the two options first, and the get the heavier rod if I like it...but I just need to decide which one.

I've read quite a few reviews of the Preston rods so seen good feedback about these...but I've only just discovered the Greys rods today, so if anyone owns one, or has an opinion on the quality of Greys or Preston rods that would be appreciated.

the indifferent crucian

Reaction score
I've got the Greys G-Tech 13 foot float rod.

It's extraordinarily light and has something of a tip action. This means it'll look after tiny hooklengths and mend line for trotting.

I don't personally like tip action rods much, but this one won me around, probably because I got it cheap.

Had I paid full price I wouldn't have been very impressed with the quality of the reel fittings. I had to get the emery boards out to get shot of a few sharp edges. Not a biggy, true, but at the RRP I'd have been miffed.

The Preston Excel Float Rod, I've had a waggle of...that was all it took. I WANT one!

I don't know what they weigh in comparison to one another, but the Preston rod I loved!

I wonder if there is any conclusion to be drawn that the Greys rod has been discounted somewhat, whereas the Preston I have never seen offered at much less than the RRP?

That said ...some of my favourite rods are from the early 80's..what you have already might be perfectly good enough and leave you with the wherewithal to go for a few choice day tickets in the Summer?

Welcome back, by the way..what kept you?

mchamish

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply.

I'm tempted to go for the Preston...I know it's a little more expensive but I've heard good things about it.

I'm glad to be back...I went fishing at the weekend (at Bury Hill in Dorking) for the first time in years. Managed to catch a couple of tench at around 1lb 8oz, a couple of roach at 8oz and a crucian at around 12oz. Not a huge haul by anyones standard but I enjoyed it...the tench made a bit of a bid for freedom which was fun.

Last edited:

greeny1321

Reaction score
Those g-tecs are lovely rods for what you pay mate dont pay full whack though! You can find em new on ebay for about 80-85 quid.
:D
I dont know about the preston rods though, we probably have a few knocking around at my work - I'll have a butchers at em tomorrow :D

Jeff Woodhouse

Moaning Marlow Meldrew
Reaction score
Read my review of the Preston Excel, if you haven't already. It really is the mutt's nuts.

The G-tec are being discontinued I believe because I was interested in their feeder rod and was told they no longer manufacture it. However, nowt wrong with a really good discontinued rod, I bought an old Korum power feeder last year and it will still fish really well.

mchamish

Reaction score
That's a great review, thanks.

I'm really tempted by the Preston...I'm probably going to order it online. Unless my postie folds it in half to post it through the door, I'll let you know how I get on with it.

Thanks,

Graham.

the indifferent crucian

Reaction score
I was only talking about discontinued rods in a tackle shop today.

About the only manufacturer who doesn't just do 'one-offs' is Drennan...because they have their own factory.

Everybody else is doing production run deals with the Chinese, it seems.

They order a certain quantity of a certain design and Bob's your uncle. If they wanted more at the end, there isn't going to be much lee-way. The Chinese factory will be committed to the next contract, indeed if they haven't got one they are toast!

This is just like some local engineering firm, taking on a production run and immediately looking for the next contract, indeed I've often thought the Chinese are where we were 40 years ago, but on a bigger and more International scale, manufacturing wise. As I said to another forum member a month back...any day now they will invent the Austin Allegro.

This doesn't matter a jot until you need a spare , such as a tip section.

I waited 15 months, through three broken delivery dates and 6 container ships for a pole top two from a certain manufacturer. It never arrived, I'd even placed the order through two separate tackle shops, and it became clear that the tackle shops were being lied to by the manufacturer.

Distinctly Shakey, I thought!

In the motor trade there used to be legislation that made an importer offer spare parts for their cars for a certain time beyond the end of the model's production life. With the cost of some modern rods it wouldn't hurt for the same old rules to apply. Instead we are expected to accept that no spares will be available after ayear or even less, if they are ever available at all.

I'd have an awful lot of time for any manufacturer who promised to provide spares for say 5 years after production. Particularly one with his own factory abroad, the Government subsidies there, and the cheap warehousing he might enjoy to enable him to do this.

What about it Peter ? Richard?

woody

Very Elderly Member
Banned
Reaction score
I'd have an awful lot of time for any manufacturer who promised to provide spares for say 5 years after production. Particularly one with his own factory abroad,
Daiwa are one such company that has their own factories. I'm not saying they can supply you with a spare section or rod tip for products older than a few years (2 or 3 perhaps) but I can still go into a tackle shop tomorrow and buy a quiver tip and it will fit my 2 year old feeder rod, my 13 year old feeder rod, and even my 19 year old feeder rod. That's not bad since many can't provide quivers for current ranges.

the indifferent crucian

Reaction score
That's good to know gentlemen.

Sad that the lower end of the market doesn't feel the same way. I wonder if I can still get a spliced-tip section for my Harrison GTI?

With the pole top-two in question I was pleased to find the Drennan universal fitted the bill. In fact it was far far better quality than the original, this not being a expensive pole.

I suppose, being realistic, that most, thankfully not all, manufacturers would like us to buy a new rod every couple of years. Yet I'll wager the original posters rod isn't that bad at all.

mchamish

Reaction score
Yeah, my old rod isn't that bad it does the job.

I once landed an 18lb carp with it that took a couple of maggots in the margins...it took a long time to land but it managed it in the end. I had more trouble fitting the fish in my landing net (I always have a big net ready just in case now!).

Trouble is...I like shiny things. And a nice new rod will be just the ticket.

mchamish

Reaction score
Wel...my local tackle shop can do the Preston Excel float rod for £10 cheaper than I've found on the internet.

They'll be getting a couple in next Tuesday and will keep one for me till I pick it up on Saturday.

I'll let you know how I get on when I take it out the next day.

greeny1321

Reaction score
I had a look at the preston one at work today, and damn - fantastic bit of kit, deffo the better of the two. Still the G-Tec is nice, the preston is just nicer :D

stikflote

Reaction score
TRICAST offer spares going back years, and as you all know they are made in England

mchamish

Reaction score
I need someone to save me from myself...

A few days ago I was looking forward to spending a fair amount of money on a quality Preston rod...now I'm contemplating spending even more money on Hardy float rod.

I had a waggle of a Hardy 13ft Specimen Float Rod (at £350!)...now I want one.

Someone convince me that I don't need one....please.

Paul Boote

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I fear that you might be someone who cannot be saved from himself irrespective of any amount of good counsel...

NOT a BAD rod, the Hardy, you understand, but not an earthshaker, either. Buy yourself a Preston, save yourself some money and get a very fine float rod to boot.

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
Decide which one it is that you really want & get that or you'll end up with one of each.

I did :eek:

[I got the Preston for such a good price I couldn't not have it...and its a cracking rod but the Hardy just wouldn't go away]

Last edited:

greeny1321

Reaction score
Dont buy an hardy rod mate, they are nice dont get me wrong but they aint nice enough for that kinda money