Hook Tyer

tobias

Reaction score
want to tie spade hooks to line was told to purchase a hook tyre.never heard of one before so any help would be great and where to get one from

glider

Reaction score
I`ve got one from my local tackle shop for ?3.95 they should be easy enough to get

C

christian tyroll

ive looked into hook tyers , but the one thing which has put me of is apperntly they weaken the knot strength is this true?

Alan Tyler

Reaction score
The Drennan one doesn't, because the bit that gets pulled through the whipping to finish off (and so runs the risk of being heated by friction and weakened) is the tag-end that gets cut off. Even so, you should put a spot of saliva on the whipping before pulling the tag through to reduce friction, and pull slowly and smoothly.

Best tip is to sit down with the biggest spade-ends the tyer will take, and the thickest line you'd use, and work from there. Which way you mount the hook in the jaws (point or shank facing the pulling-through stud)to get the line coming off the inside of the spade depends on your handedness and twiddling direction, and needs to be found out by experiment.

Michael Howson

Reaction score
Christian. When you use a hook- tyer you need to do it slowly and carefully and wet the line before easing the line into position rather than pulling it tight too quickly and with a little practise you will have a sound connection which if done right wont let you down.tight lines from miick.

Alan Tyler

Reaction score
WhoopS!! The bit that gets pulled through is part of the hooklength, so take great care with the dribble and SLOW pull!!

(50 lines, Tyler, "I will not descibe a bit of tackle I have not actually got in sight")

(Insert Embarrassed emoticon)!!

Beecy

Reaction score
One tip I would give you, assuming you have the matchman stlye tyer, is rather than forming the whip by rotating the tyer as per the instructions that come with it, form the whip by passing the tag end around the shank and trap it between finger and thum each pass. Its difficult to explain in writing, but rotating the tyer can twist the line causing it to pig tail as you tighten the knot

what I would also recomend is get some large size spades and learn to tie by hand first, this way you know the basic principle behind the knot, making using the tyer easier.

Matt Brown

Reaction score
I strongly recommend you consider tying your hooks by hand, using the Domhoff knot.

It's much quicker, and easier when you get used to it, and you're not stumped if you find yourself out fishing having forgotten your hook tyer.

C

christian tyroll

cheers guys,
i dont actually have a hook tyer as i was put of by the idea of weakening the strength but i may look into getting one........

stikflote

Reaction score
i use the drennan hooktyer never had any problems with it, ive also got the sensa hook tyer, but having problems with it the instructions are in french can anyone out there help on that one thanks

Matt Brown

Reaction score
Bob, these are the only images I can find using Google. There were loads last time I looked;

http://www.orenfishing.ru/images/Knots/whipping.gif

http://www.fishing4fun.co.uk/how2fish/knots.shtml

Basically, I do the following;

1. Pull about 18" of line from the spool and trap the spool between your knees so you can keep the line under tension. Sitting down makes this easier!

2. Hold the hook in your left hand with the spade end pointing towards the spool of line.

3. Create a loop in the end of the line so that there's around 1" of loop extending beyond the spade and a tag end of 6" or so. Trap this loop and the hook with your left hand. You need to be able to see the shank of the hook. This is much easier than it sounds!

4. Making sure to keep on the tension on the line and whip 12 turns, starting at the bend end and moving up towards the spade. I make the turns using my right hand and trap the tag end using my second finger of my left hand. It's important to keep the turns under tension and alongside each other.

5. Pass the tag end through the loop and smoothly pull the line tight from the spade end. I moisten the knot at this point but I'm not convinced it makes much difference.

6. When the knot is tight it will need moving up tight, towards the spade.

7. Cut the tag end off.

I know that sounds awkward and long winded but it's not. I reckon I can tie a size 16 in 20 seconds or so.

When I was shown this knot as a kid I must admit it took me a while to be able to tie it quickly and consistenly but it's been of massive benefit.

W

Wolfman Woody

I've used both types of hook tyer in the past, the Matchman style since it was first(almost) invented in Denton, Manchester, back in the early 1970s. I still have one of the first mass-produced ones, although the original aluminium ones are the nicest.

Both are good providing you use them carefully and wet the knots before tightening them.

However, as has already been said, better if you learn to tie the knots by hand. This always produces a far better knot and removes any line twisting completely.

N

Nigel Connor(ACA ,SAA)

Agree with Woody and Matt.Have always tied by hand making up enough hook lengths before a session and storing them on winders.

Instead of putting the spool between your knees I stick it under a book or something on a table so the angle between the shank and the spool is not so acute.

Clikfire

Reaction score
I have always used the Drennan hook tier and after the first dozen or so attempts have found it to be sound on hooks from 28 to 10.
When using it I use the anti reverse on the reel and use a slight bend in the rod to keep the tension on the line wilst forming the knot.
I have never timed it but once the hook is locked in the tool, I think it can take no more than 10 seconds to make the knot.

A

Andy "the Dog" Nellist (SAA) (ACA)

As the Matt, Woody and Nigel have said learn to tie by hand. That way you'll get a better knot, be able to use the domhoff on eyed hooks and you'll never have to worry about forgetting your hook tyer.

B

Bob Watson

Matt, that must be the best description of how to tie a knot, without pictures, I've ever come across. I was shown this knot as a boy, in a tackle shop in Nuneaton. I'd gone in to buy some hooks, Mustad, a pattern number I don't recall written down by my uncle, for a trip with said uncle, fishing for Crucians. When I had a shufty at them I told the owner to put them back "Coz they've got no eyes mister". I was told by him, in no uncertain terms that if I wanted to catch Crucians from said water (Lakeside at a place called Wolvey) it was spade ends or blank. I've tied hooks as small as a 24 by hand with this knot and have total faith in it.

S

Sean Meeghan

Well well Mr Watson - long time no see!

One thing to remember when tying the domhoff using Matts method is to make sure you hold the hook so thet the shank forms an angle of about 45 degrees to the line. That way the turns of line you're putting round the hook shank are snugged neatly against each other.

One other thing I do is tie my hooklength to my reel line first and then tie my hook to the hook length. This means that you can use the rod tip to tension the line - much easier and more controllable.

With a bit of practice you can tie domhoffs by hand very quickly. Even in my advanced years I can get 10 turns of line round the shank of a 20.