Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Paul Przybylski-garry Guest

Having just made a purchase of a new Okuma s 1002 centerpin reel, I find that there is very little information about how to use or cast a centerpin. If anyone can offer any assistance in getting some information, it would be most welcome.

Best way to learn is to find someone to watch, but failing that:

Assuming you're right handed - controlling the speed of the reel with your right thumb:

Draw line from the rod with your left thumb and forefinger (either side of first ring).

Cast using sideways swing (almost underhand flick).

A lot of people have the line running off the top of the reel (I prefer off the bottom).

(If your left handed: take reel off rod, throw it away and fit a decent closed faced reel!)

Bob Watson Guest

Do a google for the Wallis cast. There's a video kicking about the web somewhere. Master that and you've mastered the pin. Other than that, trotting with the pin is easier than with a fixed spool or closed face.

Wolfman Woody Guest

Look at this thread.

Posting no 44 from Chavender, he lists the links..

Paul Przybylski-garry Guest

Thanks very much Woody. I found the thread you sent very helpful. Thanks also to Bob and Neil for your info. Any further info would be most welcome, as I am a complete novice when it comes to fishing with a centerpin. I suppose its going to be trial and error in my case, but I love a challenge. It seems to have become a forgotten art around the Telford area. I have not seen anyone on the River Severn in the Ironbridge area ever use one, or on any of the other rivers or lakes in the area. If anyone does use one in my area, please drop me a line. Thanks again.

When I came back to fishing after many years away, I started to use the 'pin on lakes, paticularly in summer in the margins.

That gave me a lot (well some) practice at playing fish which stood me in good stead for the proper stuff on the rivers.

I always have the line coming off the top of the reel. That way when a fish runs you have better control with your thumb. Try moving your middle finger against your thumb. You will find that from hand to nail it goes smoothly, nail to hand it junders. Think about that and playing a fish or slowing the reel down on a cast.

Tony Rocca Guest

You must have funny thumbs, I did try it though.

Line comes of bottom in my book.

Try it with a reel on the rod then. It is all to do with the angle of the thumb and the way it flexes.

Sean Meeghan Guest

The other advantage of the line coming off the top of the reel is that its less susceptible to wind blowing it around.

The line that is!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast